“Whatever you do - make sure you stay for breakfast! 10/10”

Rydges Latimer Christchurch
Ranked #10 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
Sydney, Australia
“Whatever you do - make sure you stay for breakfast! 10/10”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This is a great hotel - and only 5 months old! The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, the rooms were the perfect size and layout (we booked a two bedder) and the breakfast was just amazing!!!

Only small thing was there wasn't a hair dryer in the room - either that or I couldn't find it!

We were traveling on business and would happily recommend the Rydges Christchurch and will definitely return next time we're in town! Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
RydgesLatimer, General Manager at Rydges Latimer Christchurch, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Thanks for your review Emma, we're very proud of how far we've come since opening and we're glad you enjoyed your stay. There definitely should be a hair dryer in the room, they're normally in the drawers in the built in robe. Next time, if you can't find it, make sure you give our team a call and we'll run one straight up!
Rob.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I was very impressed with the rooms - seemed almost new and the fittings and furnishings were very nice.

The staff were very friendly and helpful ( especially as I was travelling alone ).

My one suggestion would be a hotel shuttle bus - it did not feel safe walking after dark, even though the restaurants and bars are only 10 - 15 mins walk away.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Thanks for your review- we almost are new, we opened the doors in November 2013! We'll share your comments with the team, its great they made such an impression.
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I arrived on my own with injured knee, limping badly, in pain at check in. I asked for a ice pack, no problem but know one on the front desk offered to help me with my luggage, I struggled with it. Silly me I should have asked for the obvious! I required a little more than a warm friendly welcome.
Bloody Marys restaurant, we arrived early in the evening and could be seated anywhere, but the waitress forgot to offer us menus and we (3) had to go fetch our drinks menu. Meals selected from the medium price range selection was bland, over priced and over pitched!!
Bloody Marys breakfast was delightful, large selection on offer and fresh, fabulous food and friendly FOH staff.
Housekeeping, some minor things that were not removed from room or replaced but minor. Friendly staff.
Over all I would come again, I will be more speak up when needing help but should I have, really?? Room was spacious clean and comfortable. Good location in general for walking inner city.

Room Tip: There is a company that delivers hired bicycles to the hotel. I recommend it as it is easier to move...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thanks for your feedback Vicki, its certainly in contrast to the last review which is disappointing. I totally agree that we should have been more proactive in anticipating your needs- you definitely shouldn't of had to ask for help.
Its a pity you found the Brasserie menu bland, its the first time we've had any such feedback. We've changed up a couple of the service procedures in the bar since your stay and have seen good improvement in guest feedback. The dining experience is a lot better defined.
We're glad you enjoyed breakfast and that overall you would return. I will be sure to share your comments with the team and hopefully, when you do return, you will experience a vast improvement.
Regards,
Kihei, Hawaii
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Hotel had a convenient location for walking to notable sites, especially since I didn't have a car. It's a block from the Cardbard Cathedral and behind that is a memorial of chairs representing the people who perished in the earthquake of 2011. Across from the memorial is the site of the building that attributed to half of the deaths. Walk up several blocks to Cashel Street to the Restart Mall and from there to Canterbury Museum and Hagley Park where I caught a 1 hour open air sightseeing bus. This all took 5 hours leisurely strolling.

What was most impressive is the front desk who really made you feel welcome and even without asking them, they called the airlines to track my lost luggage. When I called from another location to see if it had arrived and whether I needed to shop for clothes, they already knew it had landed and had an estimated time of arrival. I had only casually mentioned it on my way out - they didn't even have my baggage claim number! I've never experienced this level of caring, concern, anticipatory and proficient service before in all my travels. Very impressed and grateful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thanks for your review. Losing your luggage is one of the most annoying things any traveler can encounter. We're so glad the team were able to assist and relieve a little of the stress that comes with these unfortunate events. Rydges Latimer's location certainly is one of the best in the city. The beautiful green outlook over Latimer square creates a welcome buffer from the the construction site that is the CBD yet it is only just a short walk away.
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Lovely and fresh rooms, comfy pillows and nice cotton sheets.
Housekeeping was a bit slack, no replacement tea bags for 4 days and the cups not cleaned. Reception was great though when we brought it up and apologised and provided what was missing. Seems an external company does the housekeeping...
Room service was prompt and the vegetarian option was very tasty
Good amount of parking and handy to all the main routes in and out of the city centre.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank GJacber
RydgesLatimer, General Manager at Rydges Latimer Christchurch, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thanks for your feedback, its great to hear that overall you had a nice stay. We'll follow up with the Housekeeping team, disappointing to note the missing tea bags but glad the reception team were able to help out.
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The rooms are huge and the bathroom is tiny and only 5 rooms have a bath option and they are excutive suites - not really feasable for all. What is with the door to the bathroom opening righ onto the toilet - all that room and the bathroom has no space awareness.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Its disappointing that you did not enjoy your room and in particular the bathroom. We do feel the bathroom is more than adequate for 2 guests. Its bright and clean and brand new!
Given the majority of time is spent in the room, this is where we focused the majority of the space. The toilet is behind the bathroom door because the door is normally closed when it is in use. This utilises what would otherwise be an empty space.
Thanks for your comments,
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I choose to stay at the Rydges in ANZ where possible with Priority guest rewards program. Im a platinum member and this was brought to my attention during my last stay in Christchurch. I got a free upgrade and received excellent service. Christchurch as a city is a bit broken but this hotel provides you with a warm environment and feeling of welcome. Great for a home away from home.

Thanks Rydges Christchurch :)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Quite welcome Nighthound and congratulations on reaching Platinum Priortity guest status. We look forward to seeing you again in the very near future.
Thanks from the team!