“Great food, sadly service was a shocker!”
Review of Baretta

Baretta
Ranked #122 of 1,100 Restaurants in Christchurch
Price range: US$6 - US$25
Cuisines: Italian, International
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Baretta Bar & Restaurant is a little piece of Italy in Christchurch. From the moment you walk through the door you will feel like you have stepped back to another time and place. From the exquisite interior and moody appearance, to the inviting terracotta paved courtyard - Baretta is our interpretation of a classic Italian trattoria with a Kiwi influence.
Reviewed 27 February 2014

A group of us met up at Baretta on a Monday night and unfortunately the only service highlight was a smile and hello when we walked through the door. To start I ordered a bottle of Moet et Chandon Rose, ($130.00), which they attempted to charge me twice for and just plonked the bottle in an ice-bucket with the glasses placed next to it on the bar top. There was no pouring of the wine, no hint of table service and also no cloth for the Champagne that I had to pour. Now don't get me wrong, I have no issue in pouring my own wine, however at that price charged and clearly not busy it should have been no trouble. The rest of the wine that was ordered ended up with the same result even though we were eating a meal as well. The other annoying detail is that there are no vintages on the wine list. When will owners or managers realise that this has an influence on the buying decision of said wine! Ironically the only one with a vintage attached is the Dom Perignon 03, not even the Moet et Chandon Grand Vintage one of those! The food really was the highlight of the evening, especially the Chicken Salad and the Duck Terrine, however the waitress was clearly unimpressed about life in general and not at all hospitable. If indeed they are a slice of Italy in Christchurch, the Italians may sue for defamation of their country! The most amusing aspect, in retrospect of course, was the odering of the cheese plate. Now forgive me for being pedantic, but one generally likes to know what cheese is on offer before commiting to the purchase. When confronted with the question the waitress had no idea and then just stood there until I stared her down before offering to find out. On her return the cheeses were as follows: Gruyere, Taleggio, Blue and Brie. When I then asked what kind of Blue it was, Blue was the answer I got back. Education was clearly lacking, but once again, under duress no doubt, she went back to the kitchen to find out. By this stage we were taking bets on the type of Blue and we weren't too wrong with our assumption that it was going to be Whitestone Blue. It turned out to be Kikorangi, another fabulous supermarket varietal. Honestly with the amount of cheeses available, why go with run of the mill? Oh and how about some Gorgonzola, being Italian and all that. The final straw was the coffee order at the end. 10-15 minutes after ordering them, the coffee machine turned out to be closed. What happened to waiting for the guests to leave. or at the very least, checking with them prior to sanitising the machine. We had witnessed the waitress and manager discussing this by the door way, clearly the waitress did not want to tell us the bad news, but seriously it should have not have ended up with that result in the first place. I should also point out that it was only 10:15 by this point, so not really late and other diners were still in the restaurant as well. I had gone there as we had hosted some of the staff at my work not long prior and I thought I would return the favour. Sadly I was mistaken and Baretta clearly did not deliver.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

This was the best service I have had in a long long time. Busy restaurant/bar...they made a table up for 2. Waitress was lovely, helpful , friendly and smiled. Loved her french accent. Food was very nice. The atmosphere was inviting. I will definitely go again. Well done Christchurch.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Enjoyed a great lunch--The food was very nice & the service was great from stepping in the door to walking out. A great way to spend a Sunday family. Will go back t try out the dinner menu.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

First night in Christchurch from Oz; discovered this little gem by accident. What an awesome place! Great good, wonderful ambience; brilliant service. If only we had places like this in Melbourne. Will definitely be back!!

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Just stepping inside Baretta gave us a hint of the treat instore. European decor, with service to match. Our Italian waiter, Francesco, was responsible for our intriguing evening, explaining the menu with enthusiasm and delight, choosing the wines with perfection The pork fillet was to die for - cooked medium - a new experience for me. Just awesome to see the Christchurch restaurant scene introducing high quality inexpensive dining. We will most definintely be recommending this restaurant to all.