“A rip off - best avoided”

Gustavs Kitchen and Wine Bar
Ranked #629 of 968 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: Wine Bar
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Christchurch, New Zealand
“A rip off - best avoided”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Went there for lunch today with 2 friends. We each ordered from the lunch menu and each wanted a (different) glass of wine. Incredibly none of the wine we ordered was available (reisling, Pinot Gris and Syrah) and surprise surprise the server suggested similar wines which ended up being a lot more expensive per glass which we did not realize until paying the bill. Food was ok but took a long time to arrive. Small portions and expensive for what you got. There were only 4 other tables at the time so I would hate to see what the service is like when they are busy. But I will not be back, ever, as I felt we got ripped off.

uk
“Well worth the visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Had evening meal with friends and we all agreed we would visit again. I had steak which was excellent. Wine choice was ok if not exciting and ambience good

• Visited April 2014
“Bravo Gustav! Bravo!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Spanning the front end of the Victorian 'The Tannery' development, in the up and coming Woolston area of Christchurch sits the tastefully decorated & warm Gustav's Kitchen & Wine Bar. And simply put - eating at Gustav's Kitchen (the finer dining end of the restaurant) for the third time was as wonderful as the first two occasions. Perhaps the finest piece of meat I have consumed ... ever.

Gustav's offers exquisite fine dining in simple yet beautifully presented dishes with discerning yet personal and affable service laced with humour and foodie wisdom. And it appears they know a thing or three about wine. And more. If you are after red meat dishes and love the idea of great food with great friends, you have found food utopia. On this occasion a delectable piece of beef prime rib sent me to heaven. Incredible sides of mushy peas, potatoes & beetroot let me up there. I could go on but feel you get the picture. We waddled home and have found ourselves talking about it for days since. Not done that before. Bravo Gustav's. Bravo.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Beauchie
Christchurch
“Great service for a special occasion”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

I surprised my spouse with brunch here; about 25 of his friends and family came. The manager was fantastic, even phoning our house at one point to confirm the booking...but first checking that I could talk in secret without my husband overhearing! They indulged us by allowing us a 10am reservation, even though the restaurant now opens at 11am. They gave us the whole restaurant even, and served customers not in our party in the wine bar area.
The manager was very attentive and helpful.

Our event was relaxed and casual, and the service we received was just right.

• Visited June 2014
“Excellent food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I had dinner here recently and the food was fabulous. It was an a la carte menu with a small but varied choice. The staff were friendly, helpful and knowledgeable and attentive without being obtrusive. Although it is quite pricey it was value for money as the food was excellent and the portion sizes just right - we managed to squeeze in dessert (which was worth it!) without feeling stuffed! I was asked on booking if it was a special occasion so I mentioned it was our wedding anniversary. We were congratulated on arrival and given a beautifully presented dessert taster - a small but very nice touch.

It is quite hard to get to without someone driving but it is worth the effort. We will definitely go back.

• Visited May 2014