“Good size room, great bed but lacked the finishing touches!”

Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel
Ranked #20 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Staff were fhelpful and efficient. The decor is lovely, so newly re-opened you can almost still smell the paint. Was there on business and didnt try any of the facilities, but found the room to be a good size, spotlessly clean, and the bed was extremely comfortable. Two things could be improved - cost of in room Wifi is well over priced - $29 per day - that's almost a month's worth of data on some home plans. Seriously hotels, when are you going to get with the rest of the world and just provide the service - even if you do put a GB limit on free. The other thing that was lacking were the toileteries in the bathroom. 1 small block of soap - to use in both hand basin and shower, and a shampoo and a conditioner. No shower cap, cotton buds/makeup pads etc. My expectation is that this should be standard in any 4star or better hotel. Very annoying to not have a shower cap provided - especially when there are no conveneince stores open in the area.

2  Thank Caroline C
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear Caroline C,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with me. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff to be helpful and efficient.

We do receive comments regarding our internet pricing and as such following these comments, we now provide complimentary wifi in all our executive rooms.

I am sorry to hear of the lack of amenities provided in your room. These should always be more than 1 of each in all our room categories and I will certainly follow this up with housekeeping.

While we do provide shower caps, cotton buds/makeup pads and other upgraded amenities (bathrobes, slippers etc.) in all our executive rooms, these are also certainly available in our Superior rooms upon request.

Please do send me 1 quick email (h6592-fo1@accor.com & Carl.braddock@accor.com) the next time you consider travelling to Christchurch, as I would love the opportunity to offer you an upgrade to our executive room, which I am certain will not only be to your liking but will also meet all your requirements.

Caroline, thank you for sharing your feedback with me. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Stayed on the the premier floor with an excellent view of the city and the cathedral. Excellent service and breakfast from the restaurant/bar. Could not fault anything with the stay. This is an excellent choice if you want a hotel in the heart of the CBD, close to all the rebuild action.

Room Tip: Upper floors have a great view.

Dear Andrew C,

Thank you very much for sharing your commen with us. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and I am certainly pleased to know that you were well looked after during your stay.

Feedback such as yours keeps us well motivated as we aim to excel in every aspect of the hotel operation and as such I will certainly share your comment with my team.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

good location and staff were really lovely. Rooms were really small and mine had 2 beds in it which made it even more cramped. If you dont know the person you are staying with well enough to sleep in the same bed... this hotel is probably not for you! The configuaration of the bathroom has the bathroom sink out in the main room! There is absolutely no privacy at all, unless you count the mirror that folds out for about a quarter of it. Would be marginally better if they at least supplied bathrobes.
The breakfasts were not great either and overpriced for what you get compared with other hotels but the dinner was very nice.
Overall, a nice hotel, but the bathroom layout was enough to make me try somewhere else for my next trip.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room with only one bed but not sure if there are any?

Dear 383traveller,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. While I am pleased to know that you found our staff to be lovely, I am sorry to hear that you will not be staying with us in future.

We certainly do have rooms with 1 king bed available and I am certain you will find this to be more spacious and to your liking. These can be easily booked at the time of reservation at no extra cost.

May I please request 1 quick email (carl.braddock@accor.com & h6592-fo1@accor.com) the next time you are considering booking a hotel in Christchurch, as I would love the opportunity to offer you one of our Executive king rooms which includes bath robes, slippers, nespresso machine and upgraded amenities. I am certain you will find this to be perfect for your future requirements while visiting Christchurch.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with us. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed here for two nights in October with our teenage daughter when we visited Christchurch.

We caught the bus in from the airport and whilst they don't stop right at the hotel they dropped us off just down the road and gave very clear directions to the Novotel.

From the minute we arrived and were greeted by the doorman we felt at home - the staff were wonderful. check in was easy and the girl at reception was full of information and helpful hints.

Our room was spacious and clean with a view over the cathedral. It is heartbreaking to see the devastation of the city but the resilience of the Canterbury people shows through.

We had dinner in the restaurant the first night and even though we had arrived late and hadn't made a reservation they moved things around to fit us in. Even though the restaurant was very busy service was quick and the meals were delicious.

Buffet breakfast was lovely - although if you want cooked eggs be prepared for a wait. They do take orders and cook eggs how you like them but there is only one lady cooking.

All in all a very pleasant stay and I would definitely stay again just based on the way the staff treated us alone,

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Miss C

Dear Miss C,

Thank you for your fantastic feedback following your recent stay with us. We certainly do have wonderful staff and are genuinely proud of their commitment to providing excellent service.

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of our hotel. I will share your comment with our team as I am sure this will act as encouragement to all of them.

Miss C, once again, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. It my hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Thank you for feeding us, Novotel, as people staying elsewhere with no breakfast facilities. However, for $26 we would have liked to have seen actual food. The cheese platter had 3 small pieces of cheese on it, and the fruit platter had 2 pieces of pineapple and a few small pieces of watermelon on it.Given that there were at least 30 people there when I had breakfast, this was bizarre to say the least. I have no doubt that if I had asked for the plates to be replenished that would have been done, and indeed as we left, 3 more pieces of cheese had appeared on the platter, but no more fruit. I accept that one also doesn't want the cheese to dry out, however, it quite frankly came off as stingy. Your hotel looks beautiful, I wish you well in the rebuild, however, generosity of spirit is what you are going to need to succeed in the CBD over the next few years and this did not demonstrate it.

1  Thank Laura H

Dear Laura H,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with me. I am appalled to hear of the lack of food in our restaurant during your brief visit to our hotel. Please allow me to express my sincerest apology. This is certainly not the norm and I am very embarrassed to hear of this.

Following your comment, I have asked our Food and Beverage Manager to investigate the issue immediately, as there should never be a time when the items on our buffet are not replenished properly. Rest assured this will be followed up sternly.

I would love the opportunity to redeem ourselves, therefore the next time you are in Christchurch, please do send us a quick email on h6592-fo1@accor.com and I would be delighted to host you for breakfast and provide you with the superior service and product we are well known for.

Laura, once again thank you for making me aware of this and I do hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

This property has recently reopened and is a welcomed addition to the city. We booked a special bed and breakfast deal. The rooms are a compact size but really if you aren't at the property to stay in all day. One unusual characteristic was the sink which overlooks the room and is sort of a kitchennette/bathroom sink in one.

Staff were friendly and helpful. The lady at the restaurant was happy to provide tips about where to go for lunch before we headed off to Hanmer Springs. Looking forward to our next trip back to this beautiful city.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jason N

Dear Jason N,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am very pleased to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. They are certainly an asset to us and I will share your comments with them.

We do receive mixed feedback regarding our bathroom and sink layout. I completely understand that while this may suit most traveller and couples it does not suit others.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback with us. I do hope to be able to welcome you back to Christchurch in the near future.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

After a day of travel the last thing you want to turn up to is a cup of crappy tea. The economy rated fair trade tea they like to serve all tastes the same. I asked the staff if any one had tried it they said no !!! Why have fantastic coffee in the room and the worst hotel tea in the world ?
The hotel and staff were lovely and the location perfect great to see Christchurch on the way back up.

Room Tip: Take your own tea if you value a good cuppa
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear thomas1972NZ ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am pleased to hear that, you not only found our hotel to be well located, but also found our staff to be lovely and accommodating.

I am disappointed to hear that the Fair trade tea we use did not meet your expectations. We certainly should have been able to provide you with regular tea upon your request. Please accept my apology for this. I will ensure our staff are briefed to prevent a future occurance of this sort.

Thomas1972NZ, once again, thank you for sharing your comments with us and it is my hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.