“Wonderful restaurant!”

Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel
Ranked #18 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This hotel was only opened a few months ago, and it faces the cathedral square from where you can still see a lot of the terrible destruction the city suffered during their earthquakes a few years ago. In fact, it is one of only a handful of hotels in the city centre which is open for business.
Having said that, I was very impressed by how normal and smoothly everything worked. Reception staff very capably advised me where to shop and have a meal or a coffee (still not too many options around nearby), and they also managed to get me an early check-in on arrival.
The room was well appointed even though I generally dislike it when the bathrooms are so integrated into the room. As I was using the room on my own, it didn't matter, but if I am sharing with someone else, I'd prefer it if they can brush their teeth behind a closed door.
A couple of glitches probably due to the recent opening: a kettle was missing and my phone didn't work so I didn't get my wake up call.
But the room was otherwise immaculate and the bed very comfortable.
There is a small but well equipped gym as well.
The single best thing about the hotel though is their restaurant. First class food and wine list, very attentive service and nice ambience. I ate there twice and enjoyed both dinners no end.
The Novotel is slightly pricier than its sister hotel the Ibis, just across the square, but I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank tingasiki
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

Dear tingasiki,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. We are very pleased to hear that you not only enjoyed our hotel but also the delicious meals in our restaurant. I will certainly pass on this feedback to our chef and I am certain he too will be delighted.

I am sorry to hear that your telephone did not work and I can confirm that this has been rectified.

Thank you once again tingasiki. I hope to be able to welcome you back in future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,005)

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Stayed for one night at end of our touring holiday before flying home. Got a good deal with using Avios points, or would not have stayed as certainly not a budget option. Only reopened in last few weeks. Few other options in city as there remains a long way to go before recovery from Earthquake is anywhere near even partial completion.
Location excellent in city centre, ideal for walking tour of city. Heritage building leaflet available from lobby to help make sense of city centre before and after earthquake. Attractive gift shop next to main entrance.
Lovely lobby, and excellent staff, very helpful on check in.
Room was good size, spotless and stylish. Lovely picture window, although view of city and cathedral so sad to see. Very comfortable king sized bed, with nice quality bed linens and duvet. Good nights sleep. Very clean bathroom.
Only issue was with the combined vanity sink and coffee making facility outside bath and toilet area. Very cramped and unworkable. No room for toiletries and make up. Kettle in the way. Lack of useable work surfaces a big inconvenience. Making coffee or drying hair meant partner couldn't get to the sink until done.This needs a rethink please Novotel! Poor design.
Only a handful of restaurants are open in the city, and our chosen option was fully booked, so we decided to return to the hotel for dinner. Beautiful stylish contemporary restaurant with lovely menu. We both opted for beef fillet which was perfectly cooked. Portions adequate, but did require orders of additional vegetable sides. Desserts were excellent. Not a cheap option, but did live up to its pricing on all levels. Attentive and pleasant wait staff. Lovely meal, which we both fully enjoyed.
Overall impeccable service and a good end to our trip.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2013

Dear Canongirl29,

Canongirl29, I am pleased to hear that you found our hotel to be spotlessly clean and extremely friendly. Our location is certainly an added bonus and we do offer unique views over Christchurch city. Thank you also for commenting on the "perfectly cooked fillets". Our chef was delighted to receive this feedback.

I hope you visit Christchurch in the near future.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

This hotel was convenient to many things in the city of Christchurch. It even had its own souvenir/gift shop. The staff was friendly and helpful. The bed was comfortable and the room peaceful. On the downside, the rooms were small and they tried to pack in a lot. There was no vanity which is necessary in a hotel. The mirror over the sink can be opened and closed (supposedly to change from bathroom to minibar). It felt crowded in there because you used the sink and cabinets for the bathroom and the minibar and without a larger vanity to place things on it was difficult to manoeuver. If someone was shaving at the sink, you couldn't make tea at the same time. Awkward! The luggage rack, when opened, took up space and made it hard to walk around. Also there was only one luggage rack in the room. We had two people, each with luggage. We even had a superior King room. The selection of food in the restaurant was minimal (especially for people with food allergies) and way overpriced, you even had to pay extra for the sides.

Dear DLW312,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am pleased to hear that you found us to be conveniently located with friendly staff.

We do receive several mixed comments regarding our sink/vanity setup. I completely understand that while this may suit certain travelers, it does not others. I have also passed on your comments regarding your experience in our restaurant to our Food and Beverage manager to investigate. We do have a new menu being launched next month, and your feedback will certainly be considered.

Thank you once again for sharing your comments. I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

We were visiting Christchurch for just one night and stayed at the novotel (room1009). We chose to stay in the centre to be able to have a look around and see how the city was coming along since the major earthquake. To our delight the hotel excelled itself. The service by all staff was impeccable, the room was spotless and the meals wonderful. I could not fault the hotel itself....just be aware that due to ongoing demolition there is not much else open for dinner in the surrounding area (and no dairies)...but who needs to go elsewhere as right on your doorstep is The Square Restaurant within the hotel, wonderful service and wonderful food. The room was spacious enough, lovely comfortable king bed, tea & coffee, iron, safe, bathroom amenities and and yes worth another mention - spotless. This hotel is also within walking distance to the container mall, city centre bus station and the botanical gardens and Avon river.
Hint: If you are catching a bus from the airport to town (or vice versa), walk following the blue footprints to the antarctic centre, before crossing the road to the centre there is a bus stop, you can catch the bus here for $5.00 less (actual cost $3.50 per adult from here - I believe No: 3 bus).

Room Tip: If you are looking at the hotel from the outside, a room to the right will give views of the Christc...

Dear TheBarrsNZ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I am very pleased to know that you found our service impeccable, rooms spotless and the meals wonderful.

Your comment certainly re-iterates the excellent work our team do each day and they are truly our biggest asset.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback. I hope to be able to welcome you back in future.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

This hotel has recently reopened after the earthquake. Right next to the Cathedral so an interesting sight but very sad to see. Rooms excellent with all facilities. Very friendly helpful staff. Dinner in restaurant was outstanding and top class. Valet parking available but quite expensive and if you park your own car the area is very rough and a bit like a river bed!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear WinnieNelsonNZ,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is truly a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and were well looked after by our friendly team.

Your continued support is certainly appreciated and I hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

Hotel does not live up to Novotel or 4*.

· sink in hotel room? Full vanity board required between sink and bedroom for privacy.
· No mirror in bathroom?
· No shelf or cupboard\drawers in bathroom for toileteries
· Staff training not sufficient.
· Bar too small service slow
This hotel will have problems when competition returns to Christchurch.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank british56

Dear manxrover4,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Your comments are extremely important to us and I certainly appreciate the feedback.

Manxrover4, I am certainly disappointed to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. For this, please accept my apology. We do received several mixed comments regarding our vanity area and I completely understand that this may suit some and not others.

Our staff have been the highlight of all guest comments and I am appalled to hear that you were not provided with the high levels of service we take pride in. I would love the opportunity to discuss these details with you further and address the areas where our staff could have better served you. May I please request 1 email, highlight the staff issues and I will certainly follow this up personally.

Manxrover4, thank you again for sharing your feedback and the opportunity to better serve you in future.

Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

Quick business trip staying at new Novotel. They provided a free upgrade to Suite (thanks!) which was 3 room corner location, great views & exceptionally well appointed. Balcony with views. Service good incl. In-room dining. Valet parking expensive so use local car-parks (plenty there). Next to Cathedral & close to Museum/Gardens & Art Gallery. Good option.

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear Bruce,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed the upgrade to our suite and were able to take in the fantastic views. We are certainly fortunate to be located in the heart of our re-building city and almost everything is a close walk away.

Thank you once again Bruce. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Regards,