“Great hotel in inspiring circumstances”

Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel
Ranked #19 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
GreenLeadersBronze level
Buxton,UK
“Great hotel in inspiring circumstances”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Newly refurbished with excellent facilities. Busy as it is the only central functioning hotel. Staff helpful and food good. A great example of the friendly inspiring 'get on with it' attitude we found in the city.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank DavidLBuxton_UK
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear DavidLBuxton_UK,

Thank you for your excellent comments and rating. Your feedback acts as encouragement to all our staff.

I am very pleased to hear that you found our hotel and team to be an inspiration. I will ensure your comments are shared with our team.

Thank you once again for your most re-assuing comments. I hope to welcome you back to our wonderful city in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Keighley
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

First visit to Christchurch since the earthquake and the Novotel is one of the few hotels in the centre - having survived the quake. Excellent staff and we received one of the warmest welcomes I can remember on check-in at a hotel. Have to say the surroundings are grim - levelled sites and empty buildings which came as a bit of a surprise as it is now 3 years since the quake. Rooms were comfortable but strange and not very efficient arrangement for bathroom. The restaurant was a bit ordinary but then there is hardly any completion now in the centre of the city.

Room Tip: Top floors have best rooms - car parking on ruins next to hotel!
Dear AandTP,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. It is truly a pleasure to receive positive feedback and I am certainly proud to hear of the excellent welcome you received from our friendly reception team. Our staff our truly our biggest asset and your comments will act as encouragement to all of them.

AandTP, we too are eagerly awaiting the completion of the rebuild in Christchurch as it promises to be an entirely new modern city, risen from ashes.

I hope you will visit our new city in future.
Wellington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

Stayed for 2 nights on business. The room was on the 9th floor west facing. Excellent for catching the afternoon sun. Enough room for me. With the newness of the room there were no issues. The room is light in colour - gives it a fresh look. Used the gym and that was good. Only small problem was that my room key would not give me access. Required staff to open the gym for me. Had breakfasts and evening meals in the restaurant and both the service and quality of food was of a good standard. Staff at reception and the concerge were most helpful.

Room Tip: If you like to catch pm sun ask for a west facing room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Buller48,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. It is truly a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am very glad to hear that you found our rooms to be "Fresh and New" with sufficient space and were well looked after by our friendly team.

I will share your comments with them as I am sure this will act as encouragement to all of them.

Thank you once again and I hope to be able to welcome you back in future.
Wellington, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed only one night in this fairly new Novotel in Christchurch having stayed at other Novotel properties around New Zealand, it was a mistake! Over priced accommodation over looking the after math of the horrific Christchurch earthquake, I was in a premium room, a shoe book for over $200 a night! Breakfast to my room was cold, sent in back, returned as just moderately warm, could not be eaten, simply revolting! Avoid and look elsewhere!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank WELLYFOODIE007
Dear WELLYFOODIE007,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Our rates are reviewed on a daily basis to ensure our prices are in line with the current market in Christchurch and this is monitored by our dedicated revenue management team.

WELLYFOODIE007, I am appaled to hear of the cold breakfast room service meal you received and for this I cannot apologise enough. I have discussed this with our food and beverage manager and agree that you certainly should not be charged for a meal which could not be consumed. May I please request you to contact me on carl.braddock@accor.com, as I would welcome the opportunity to rectify our mistake.

Thank you once again for drawing my attention to this.

I hope to hear from you soon.
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

This was my first trip back to Christchurch since the earthquakes and the city is unrecognisable. Novotel is located in the old city centre, which is now a ghost town. Gone are the old buildings and funky laneways and cafés that made this little city so cool. Whilst being a top quality 3.5 - 4 star hotel (ie clean but old sheets, small but functional gym) they charge 5 star prices due to lack of competition. If on holidays, I'd stay elsewhere. If on business, the Novotel is efficient.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Dear RockYu,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. Your feedback is imperative for our success and I certainly apprecaite it.

RockYu, our rates are updated daily to ensure we are in line with the market in Christchurch and this is monitored closely by our revenue team. I am greatful to know that you will stay with us again on business and apprecaite your loyalty and support.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Birmingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

The room was typical Novotel; clean, modern with everything for a comfortable overnight (or two)stay. That said it did have the common design fault that anyone taller than five feet five would have trouble using the toilet without banging knees against the wall on the way down and head on the way up.
The staff, however, were exceptional. Every staff member who we had any dealings with was friendly, courteous, efficient and extremely helpful. At check in all the queries we had were dealt with promptly and even a minor difficulty that we had regarding prebooked car hire (not through the hotel) was sorted out by the receptionist who called the rental company and helped sort out the problem.
The hotel's restaurant is very good, having a decent range of menu at reasonable prices and with good service.
Staff members who we passed in the corridor always asked, in passing, if everything was alright and if they could be of any assistance.
An enjoyable stay at a hotel of a chain which can, in some locations, be rather impersonal.

1 Thank EbenezerS
Dear EbenezerS,

Thank you for your fantastic comments. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

We certainly do receive lots of positive comments regarding our superb staff and I am very happy to know that you were well looked after by all of them.

I will share your comments with our team as this will act as encouragement to all of them.

I do hope to be able to welcome you back in future.
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

From our arrival to departure all of our needs were dealt with professionally and staff we came across were hospitable and helpful. We stayed in Christchurch for just two nights.

On check-in, we were offered two alternative rooms. We opted for a room on level 11 which had a very spacious bathroom (we were advised that this was designed for easy access and therefore had all the usual aids for someone requiring them). This gave us a very large shower area and in general the room had plenty of space between the furniture. The room had a very comfortable king sized bed and we slept well. The usual tea/ coffee making facilities and mini bar, safe, hairdryer, iron etc were provided as you would expect from a hotel of this rating.

Obviously recently renovated, the facilities were tip - top and of a contemporary design. Our view from the room overlooked the city, sadly depleted of buildings, people and a heart. However, it is noteworthy the effort that is being made by the authorities and the locals to move on from the 2011 quake. From our window one could observe both the demolition going on and the creative developments taking place to re-build the city. This hotel is in a central location in the city, therefore all 'attractions' were mostly within walking distance.

We ate out in the evening (quality restaurants were not easy to find at this current time, however) but the buffet breakfast at the hotel was of a high standard with a good selection of food available to cater for everyone's tastes. The bar area was busy and service was very good when we popped in after our evenings out. Although we did not need to use it, room service was available, serving the usual hot and cold foods/ snacks.

The complimentary use of the computers in the lobby was a bonus, the three other hotels we stayed in during our vacation in NZ did not provide this. Room wi-fi did seem expensive, therefore we tended to use one of the three the macs to check on attractions, timetables, make bookings and check emails etc

All in all, a super hotel with hospitable staff. Highly recommended.

Dear Harry187046,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am very pleased to hear that you had an "excellent stay" with us. We do have superb staff and they are truly an asset to us.

I will share your comments with our team, as this will act as encouragement to all of them.

Thank you once again. I do hope to welcome you back in future.