“A very good and well run hotel ”

Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel
Ranked #18 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
GreenLeadersBronze level
“A very good and well run hotel ”
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

We were impressed with the excellent service and the standard of the room within this new and moderate sized Novotel. The room was modern design (we liked the specific bathroom integration) and the bed very comfortable. We had a room on the top floor allowing a view out over the city. For a first time visitor the location seemed ideal. The breakfast service was perfectly acceptable. The concierge and front desk staff were extremely helpful and worked hard to make recommendations, book transport and then secure the preferred option for diner reservations. (we went to fiddlesticks - it was 5 mins walk and excellent). Clearly there is a lot redevelopment all over the city and this hotel would be one of the first to be opened. Whilst there will undoubtably be more expensive and higher standard options, we found this hotel better than expected and we would stay again. Thanks to all the staff - you make the difference

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Mercedes1970
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Mercedes1970,

Thank you for your most encouraging comments. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and I am particulary pleased to hear that you were well looked after by our team. They are truly an asset and I will ensure your comments are shared with them.

I am glad to hear that you not only enjoyed our central location, but also our new and modern rooms and bathroom design in particular.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with us. I do hope you will visit us again in future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
west midlands
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Christchurch has been so badly devasted by the earthquake in 2011 yet these folks are survivors and trying to re build.
The Novotel looks brand new but in fact was a 'survivor' of the quake. It is centrally located with a view of the sadly ruined cathedral.
The room was clean, bright, modern. Thought they were a bit stingey with the toiletries.
Buffet breakfast was very good & the dining area pleasant.
Only 30 mins free Wifi in lobby-sufficient for holiday use.
There are very few hotels left to use within the city but this is a decent place.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear francophile5310,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am pleased to hear that you not only enjoyed our central location, but also our newly renovated rooms.

I will share your comments with our team as I am sure this will act as encouragement to all of staff.

Thank you once again and I hope you will visit us again in future.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed one night at this hotel located, adjacent to the devastated Christchurch Cathedral. The rooms were comfortable and well appointed. We had breakfast in the restaurant and enjoyed the continental breakfast. We felt quite safe in the muti-storey hotel which is surrounded by abandoned buildings.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Quicker5,

Thank you taking the time to share your feedback with us. Guest satisfaction is vital for our success and I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed a peaceful stay in Christchurch.

Your comments re-iterate the excellent job carried out by our staff and I will ensure your comments are shared with them.

Thank you once again for your re-assuring feedback. I hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night with my husband and enjoyed our stay.

The front desk lady was very friendly and accommodating.

The room was new, well cleaned and had good views.

The room service meal was delicious

The only things I wished the hotel had- slightly larger room, free cookies :) and a pool!

• Stayed March 2014
Dear chantal u,

Thank you for your excellent feedback and rating. Your comments act as encouragement to our entire team.

I am very pleased to hear that you not only found our team to be friendly and accommodating, but also enjoyed our new clean rooms with great views. The views are truly unique and provide an excellent vantage point for viewing all the rebuild action in Christchurch centre city.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback. I hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.
Brixham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2014

A very good hotel in the central area but surrounded by earthquake damage. Close to the city tram route and a nice walk to Hagley Park.
Restaurant service could be a bit quicker but the hotel food is good. Comfortable beds in well equiped bedrooms.

Room Tip: Bedrooms directly overlooking the square are best for views. Side of hotel rooms OK
Dear asproparos,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. It is truly a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team as I am sure this will act as encouragement to all our staff.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback. I hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed only for one night. Member of reception team who checked us out did not like it when I queried an item on my bill.
We did not like having the wash hand basin in the bedroom area.
Porter/concierge staff very friendly and helpful

1 Thank William B
Dear William B,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am extremely disappointed to hear that a member of our team did not appreciate a bill query, when asked. This is certainly not acceptable as responding to all guest queries in top on our priority list. Please accept my sincerest apology for this.

I have launced an investigation with our front office manager to establish exactly what happened and who the staff member might be. As such, may I please request 1 quick email with details of your stay, as this will enable us to complete our investigation and rectify the issue.

William B, thank you for bringing this to my attention. Please do email me on carl.braddock@accor.com. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Great location, clean, helpful staff and good restaurant and bar! Couldn't ask for more. I used the gym which was ok but I loved the shower and king size bed. Christchurch is a little sad though. Can park for free outside and only short walk to most places.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Marksonno
Dear Marksonno,

Thank you for sharing your excellent feedback with us. I am very pleased to hear that you not only enjoyed our central location, but also our king beds and rain shower.

I will share your comments with our team as I am sure this will act as encouragement to all of them.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback with us. I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.