“A good hotel with friendly helpful staff”

Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel
Ranked #20 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 April 2014

This hotel is very central and while fairly standard hotel fare, the friendly staff made this a very pleasant stay. We were initially given a room with the shower over a bath. As I had my elderly mother with me this was not very suitable but there was no problem changing us to another room with a suitable walk in shower. The room was very comfortable although it was rather strange having the handbasin for the bathroom in the main part of the room (although a mirror came out to cleverly hide the person who may have been brushing their teeth). We had a nice dinner in the restaurant and breakfast the following morning. Thought the continental breakfast was rather expensive .... all in all though, a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Dear microeye,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am pleased to hear that you found us to be a good hotel with friendly and helpful staff and we were able to promptly accommodate your request for a room move.

I will ensure your feedback is passed onto our staff, as this will act as encouragement to all of them.

Thank you once again for your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back in future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,002)

Reviewed 16 April 2014

A beacon of light in the middle of war-zone destruction all around it. The first impression of the hotel as you walk through the double door is of an ultramodern, typical Novotel. The check-in was Accor-fast, with a preprinted voucher which we only had to sign. They immediately granted us the free WiFi given for Le Club Accor members. There is no discount offered at the restaurant, though for members. The reception, as well as the concierge were very helpful, and answered our rapidfire four questions swiftly. They were acquainted with the public transport, but did not know where the Whitcoulls bookshop was - which was quickly solved by Google. The bathroom is in two parts, with the washbasin outside the shower-toilet area. This speeds up a morning start. The fittings, TV and other amenities had a premium feel to them. The location of the hotel is absolutely fantastic, being very central, and walking distance from the bus station. The no. 29 bus (NZD8pp) from Lichfield Street, to the airport is therefore just 10 minutes walk away. Our request for late check out at 12:30pm was turned down, even though the hotel did not seem to be full.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor room to reduce (or eliminate) the construction noise. But you should expect t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LocalActingGlobal

Dear Wiener Sänger,

Thank you for sharing your most encouraging comments with us. It is truly a pleasure to receive positive feedback and I am glad to hear that you found our hotel to be ultra modern with helpful staff.

I will share your comments with our team as I am sure this will act as encouragement to all of them.

Thank you once again. I hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Excellent hotel in the middle of the distruction and chaos around it. Well worth the visit. Will stay there again in our next visit to Christchurch and would recommend to anyone looking for top quality accommodation at an affordable price.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear ChipmunkCheek82,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am very pleased to hear that you found us to be an excellent hotel at an affordable price.

I will share your comments with our team, as this will act as encouragement to all of them.

Thank you once again for sharing your comments. I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We booked this property as we are Accor Advantage Members. The property has only recently reopened following the earthquakes. The hotel appears new and is very clean and well presented. The staff are very friendly and the location is very convenient to walk to all the sights and cafes within the city centre.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Richard N N,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and our friendly service. Our hotel has recently re-opened following refurbishment after the devastating earthquake and we are certainly proud to be back in centre city.

I sincerely appreciate your loyalty and continued support.

Thank you once again. I look forward to welcoming you back in future.

Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

I was surprise to see a very modern design of Novotel in the middle if Cathedral Square, just right beside the church. Very good location, very clean and very modern. I'm happy to recommend it for anybody who will visit Christchurch. Very good service and reasonably priced too!

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear HF0119,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. It is truly a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I am very pleased to hear that you not only enjoyed our central location, but also our cleanliness and value for money in general.

I will ensure your comments are shared with our team.

Thank you once again for your encouraging feedback.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I only had 1 night here for work on the way back from Dunedin and Christchurch is by no means up and running. Well done team.Staff were wonderful and couldnt do enough for you.Room was nice and new and the restaurnat and bar area were of a good standard for business travelers.Saw they just got a bad review.I dont agree with it as everything was fine with my stay.

Room Tip: Good CBD stay
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jane B

Dear Jane B,

Thank you for sharing your excellent feedback with us. We are truly proud to have a great team here, who are extremely dedicated. Your comments act as encouragement to all of them.

I am pleased to know that you not only enjoyed our new rooms, but also the meals and service provided in our restaurant.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I have spend 4 nights in the hotel. It is a brand new hotel, therefore very clean. Breakfast is good. Staffs are very friendly and helpful.

The hotel is located just in front of the cathedral and tram station. It is able to walk to botanic garden, museum, start up mall, and park. There is a Chinese restaurant, good choice for dinner, behind the hotel.

Taxi is always available in front of the hotel; I would recommend to make appointment for airport shuttle van, which is convenience and cheap.

Room Tip: My room is in the third floor facing the front street and the cathedral. I like the view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Noom-Noom

Dear Noom-Noom,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am very pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed our location and had a good chance to visit the local attractions.

I will share your comments with our team, as I am sure this will act as encouragement to all of them.

Thank you once again. I hope you will visit us again soon.