“Extremely friendly staff”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Napier, New Zealand
“Extremely friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed at the Novotel Christchurch for 2 nights, the staff on arrival super helpfull and the breakfast lady especially very friendly. The rooms are normal novotel rooms except the bathrooms are kind of weird. The only negitive I have is the beds were very uncomfortable, they are slat and dont have any topper on the top of the mattress. I stayed on the 10th floor. Dinner was very good too and the breakfast was not as good as the Hamilton or Wellington Novotels but still plenty of choices.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jodie803
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Hi Jodie803,
Many thanks for your review on TripAdvisor.
Comments about hardware such as beds and bathrooms are important for the future design of our hotels so we really appreciate this feedback. Thank you.
I think we can take a leaf out of our Hamilton and Wellington Novotels books and keep up with their breakfast standard! We do try and compete with each other for the best offering..these guys are tough..but we can get there..Thanks for giving us a heads up on that one.
Thanks again Jodie, we hope we can welcome you back to CHC.
Carl and the Team at Novotel Christchurch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hamilton, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Just spent 3 nights here. Wonderful room on top floor with large and view of city. The service was terrific and very friendly. Parking was fine as disused sections all around at present. Everything very clean and modern. Free wifi was a pleasant surprise. Had lovely meal in restaurant. Will certainly be back. Being Accor member really helps.

Room Tip: Top floor executive room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Hi Tommo!

Thanks for your review...I'm glad you enjoyed your stay.

I hope we can see you back again.

Kind regards

Carl and The Team at Novotel Christchurch.
Timaru, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

I recently stayed here for work, the hotel was really lovely. Great friendly and efficient staff. Big clean room with a stunning view of the city and the port hills. I would say the only thing that let it down was the parking. But as the city is in the middle of a rebuild it is something that will improve in the future!

Room Tip: Ask for the city side as it has a great view the other side is looking out over the car park.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank CharlotteLee88
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Charlotte,

Thanks for your review on TripAdvisor!

Not sure what you mean about the parking?..Can you come back to me on that?

We have secure parks under our hotel, valet parking and (far be it from me not to try and sell our valet parking service) but free parking abounds because of the empty space around the hotel, wonderfully free until new buildings go up..!

Please let me know what you meant about the parking..maybe we didn't meet you/direct you?

Carl and The team at Novotel Christchurch
Northam, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Myself and my partner stayed here for 1 night at the start of our trip. We arrived early morning cold, foggy and a bit damp. We thought we would see about check in early. possible of a small charge. Maybe even a small discount for being an Accor Loyalty member. So we asked. To be told about $120. Are you serious? We came back later and someone else was at desk and checked us in. The Executive room was GREAT. View to the cathedral. No noise. Staff apart from 1 were fantastic. The bell boy (think thats his title) thats stands by door to help was AMAZING, he had maps and our route planned out. Definitely recommend to family snd friends

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Hi Bruce and Amber,

$120 dollars...no way!! I'm going to check that out..good lord ... and an ACCOR Member to boot!

Gawd, we really do trip ourselves up sometimes don't we?.. drop me an email so I can follow it up for you..

I'm glad you liked Andrew at the front door..I'm assuming it was him..EVERYONE says he's awesome!!

Many thanks for your feedback, I hope we will see you again.

Carl and The Team at Novotel Christchurch
Foster City, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for two nights on our honeymoon. We were Very pleased with it - this is such a nice hotel!

Bad things: Wi-Fi isn't free, most of the area nearby is still under construction, there is no parking

Good things: the rooms are modern, clean and very comfortable, the staff is incredibly nice and helpful, they have maps and recommendations for places nearby to go for dinner (some walkable, some where you might prefer to drive), there was an abandoned gravel lot outside where I could park for free (though the hotel warned that since they didn't own it, they couldn't accept liability if something happened), they have laundry machines available for use in the basement ($4/load) which was so useful, and their minibar is reasonably well stocked.

All in all we had a great stay there. It was nice to be able to walk to the restart area too!

• Stayed June 2014
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Hi Jen D,

Thanks for posting your comments on TripAdvisor – Good and bad!

We continue to struggle with the free Wif-Fi issue..but we’re getting there thank you!

Yes, our city is under construction, we will have a whole new futuristic green city as a result.

We have tons of parking, free around the hotel, and 25 valet spaces (secure) under the hotel, in case you visit us on your return through Christchurch.

I’m glad our staff were nice and helpful and were able to recommend places for you.
We look forward to seeing you on your return.

Kind regards’

Carl and The team at Novotel Christchurch.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I stayed for just one night, and was very happy with the choice. Its an oasis in the midst of all the reconstruction in the city.
Friendly staff who are there to help, and know when to leave you alone.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Hi Abeb 1900

Many thanks for your TripAdvisor comments!

We appreciate them.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and hope we can welcome you back.

Kind regards

Carl and The team at Novotel Christchurch.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Had a lovely few days at this hotel and we were very well looked after. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. The room was well laid out and comfortable and I slept really well. We ate at the restaurant as there is limited availability elsewhere due to the earthquake damage. I am gluten intolerant and the staff were very helpful and non judgmental, the chef even came out to talk to me about my requirements and I had some great meals. Its always difficult when I travel so this type of service makes a huge difference to me so thank you very much.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Zoe E,

Many thanks for your kind feedback on TripAdvisor.,

I'm glad we were able to satisfy your needs gluten free and that the staff were very friendly and welcoming.
The Chef does love to go out and talk to guests..hes a friendly fellow!.

I am happy that our service made a difference to you.

Carl and The Team at Novotel Christchurch