“delightful”

GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
“delightful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2011

Lovely hotel,beautiful room,excellent position in Cathedral square,a perfect choice!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2011

Other than waking up to an earthquake rattling our beds, we had a lovely stay. Thank you.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
North Shore City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2011

Very friendly greeting, great explanation of the facilities etc. very pleasant stay

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2011

After a long Journey from the UK and arriving mid-morning the hotel staff went out of their way to find a room for an early check-in.

The location is a plus being next to the Cathedral and within easy walking distance of many of Christchurch's attractions.

Rooms and facilites were clean and well maintaned. After spending a day on route to other destinations in the south Island, I was happy to come back a few days later for a return visit.

i would highly recomend this hotel

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
AussieinCHC, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this review, 4 January 2011
Dear Iainse,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square on both your recent visits to the garden city.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our prime location and that you also found our staff most helpful and accommodating.

Iainse, thank you once again for choosing to stay at the Novotel Christchurch and I wish you continued safe and memorable travels throughout the world.

Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square
Hanoi, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2011

very good location just on the main square of the city and kind, attentive service.
the rooms are well appointed with good standards.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
AussieinCHC, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this review, 3 January 2011
Dear Raffore,

Thank you for recently choosing to stay at the Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square and also for taking the time to share your feedback.

Raffore, I am delighted that you enjoyed our central city location as well as also finding our rooms up to a good standard and our service attentive. I will certainly share your feedback with our hotel team.

Thank you once again for choosing to stay at the Novotel Christchurch cathedral Square and we do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to New Zealand in the very near future.

Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square
Santa Monica
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2011

I recommend never staying at this hotel. I will never stay in a Novotel Hotel ever again. The have the worst customer service and supervisors that I have ever experienced. I pre-paid for my hotel stay. I experienced 5 aftershock in a matter of 7 hours during my hotel stay, most of the hotel stay I had no running water and electricity, therefore the elevator didn't work, despite this they gave us a room on the 10th floor. A major aftershock of 4.9 hit in the morning and caused the entire hotel to evacuate. While doing down the stair well, we saw a huge crack that extend from the 10th floor to the 5th. I didn't want to risk the safety of my family and we decided to leave and we pre-booked 2 rooms for 4 days and only stayed 7 hours with no running water. The manager was complete jerk and refused to work for a possible refund and stated that there was no reason to leave. I am going to contact the Novotel corporate office about by service at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank acp1921
AussieinCHC, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2011
Dear acp1921,

Thank you for taking the time to offer some feedback on your recent visit to Christchurch.

I am deeply dissapointed to hear of how upset you were with your visit to our property.

Firstly, it is most unfortunate that when you stayed in Christchurch you experienced one of the strongest aftershocks since the initial earthquake of September 4th 2010. Add to that the additional aftershocks you experienced and I can understand why your stay was not the most comfortable for your family. I can however state categorically that at all times our guests and staff's safety and protection is our first priority.

Acp1921, I can also assure 100% that as our property is not even one year old we are in fact one of the safest buildings in the city. Our property was built to the strictest building guidelines and we have experienced no structural damage since either the intial earthquake or the subsequent aftershocks. Yes, we have experienced some cosmetic damage with plaster chipping and cracking in our firestairs. This is exactly as the building was made to perform in case of a strong earthquake. Rather than having two concrete walls rub against each other, a small component of plaster is left in the middle in order to make the building even safer. In the case of a strong earthquake this will then chip and crack slightly- rather than a structural wall and this is exactly as what has taken place.

Can I also stress that all our lifts are on seismic switches. This is again to ensure the comfort and safety of all of our guests. Once it was deemed 100% safe to return our lifts to duty our lift suppliers did so in the earliest possible time frame.

Acp1921, at no time did we ever evacuate the hotel. In fact quite the opposite. Due to the property being surrounded by a number fo Heritage Buildings we did in fact encourage all guests to stay inside the property as it is indeed safer inside the hotel. In relation to electricty we are in fact on the city grid and at times of large aftershocks the council will temporarily remove supply for safety reasons. In terms fo water supply the mains may be temporarily cut whilst it is investigated to ensure that the water has not been contaminated with any broken pipes. Again this is completed purely for the safety and comfort of all of our guests.

Acp1921, if I could also please ask you to contact myself directly in relation to a refund for the nights you did not stay I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further. Our policy over emergencies is to refund nights that guests did not stay so I am sorry that you were allegedly informed otherwise.

I very much look forward to hearing from you and thank you again for your feedback.