“Great place to stay with a family”

Gingerbread Lodge Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #41 of 132 Christchurch B&B and Inns
Birmingham, Alabama
“Great place to stay with a family”
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

It was tricky finding a B and B in New Zealand that could accommodate more than a couple traveling at an affordable price. We found Gingerbread to be very accommodating for my husband, myself and adult daughter. Affordable and comfortable. Hearty breakfast eggs, bacon, tomato, yogurt, fruit.

Spent 3 nights and had a satisfying delicious breakfast. One morning Miki prepared breakfast as early as 6:45 so we could make the alpine train to Greymouth. That is why we stay in B and B's and she helped make our stay most enjoyable.

Located in a residential area so it is quiet at night. If you have a car there are restaurants and city centre close by. We did not find this to be difficult to get around and we are Americans driving on the other side of the street.

Other great reasons to stay here: great value, very clean, sweet dog and delightful helpful host.

Make sure to eat at Tequila mockingbird( out favorite place) and The Bodhi Tree ( 2 nd favorite restaurant ) in Christ church. Call ahead to make a reservation if you wish to sit at a table rather than at the bar or a high top. Yes there are many things to do in Christchurch.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank traveler308

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed at the lodge for two nights with my partner, while recovering from surgery. Miki was friendly, thoughtful, and cordial--a very good host. Breakfast was generous, flexibly served. The place was quiet. The house was spotless, the king room was VERY spacious--we were upgraded free of charge due to a mis-booking--and in all it was a pleasant experience. The location is suburban.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eponymous_Trout
Hangzhou, China
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this place for one night. Miki was quite nice and the king room was spacious. There are plenty of rooms in this lovely house and it must be fun in summer with many guests living together. Good choice for either short or long stay in Christchurch and will come back in future.

• Stayed June 2014
New Zealand
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I stayed one night here when in Christchurch for work. I booked a Queen room ($120 per night) with a shared bathroom. The room was very nice and tidy and there was a key lock on my door. There was a little flat screen TV with freeview so I could choose to watch TV in bed or in the communal lounge. Down the hallway was a lovely bathroom with shower and spa bath.

I slept well and even though my room faced the street it was a very quiet street. The next morning I woke to big fluffy pancakes, bacon, banana and maple syrup. I was also offered cereal if I wish, tea or coffee and fruit juice. The host was very lovely, bubbly and hospitable!

The only thing I would say that if it would bother you (but it did not me at all) there is a small window above the bed in the room I stayed in that does not have a blind/curtains so the light does come down directly on the bed in the mornings.

A fantastic stay and I would be back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I spent the last 2 nights of my NZ trip here and trust me it couldn't have been better. Although I had booked the queen room, I got a lucky upgrade to the King room (with balcony) and it was just awesome. It was very spacious, clean and like an actual King's room. Beds were the best I got in my entire trip because they were harder. Mikki is a lovely host, very charming, extremely courteous and yes, a great cook.The place is slightly far from City Center because it is located in a residential & peaceful locality but there are a few takeaway joints located within a km and believe me I found the best Indian food in one of those small joints. I had seen people complaining of noise, that's actually true because the walls are probably not that thick and you hear other people talking but obviously only during daytime. Anyhow, that didn't bother me enough to takeaway the 5 star rating.

Room Tip: King room with balcony is great
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in Mikki's B&B. The 2 rooms we got were spacious and clean. The beds were so comfortable my parents couldn't wake up on the 2nd day! For breakfast, we got to choose from cooked breakfast (eggs, bacon, tomato, and toasts), pancakes, and an omelette. Of course we tried all and everything was delicious! On the 2nd day when we came back we were surprised to see that the beds were made and clean towels were given. Thank you Mikki!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We can't say anything negative about Gingerbread Lodge. The rooms are clean, spacious, and comfortable, and well stocked with a big TV, powerful heating/AC unit, and ample storage space. The ensuite bathrooms are also large and clean. Even though the kitchen is well stocked and readily accessible, a coffee maker is still provided in each room to enable maximal privacy and comfort. Mikki is simply an outstanding hostess--friendly, easygoing, and greeting every guest with a smile. She's readily available to help with anything you may need, from restaurant recommendations to planning your sightseeing days. Her breakfasts are probably some of the best we had in New Zealand! My wife and I are vegetarian, but Mikki adjusted her menu accordingly to provide a filling, delicious breakfast every morning. We would gladly stay there again, and would not hesitate to recommend Mikki's hospitality to friends and family alike.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple