“Better than the ruins”

and up
Christchurch Hop-On Hop-Off Tram
Ranked #26 of 249 things to do in Christchurch
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Re:START is the new "shopping complex" in the city centre built out of shipping containers. There are even banks like Westpac and the Kiwi bank in shipping containers...one would think they would have enough money to build new buildings for their city branches. As a concept it's interesting. Let's just hope they will rebuild Cashel St the way it was before 2011.

1  Thank Janulik

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I'm an Australian marketing communications specialist involved in Place Making... I'm also a New Zealand devotee. The land of the long white cloud has been the destination of my annual pilgrimage for the past decade. In that time I've come to know the South Island (in particular) very well. In April this year I returned to Christchurch to mourn the devastation of a city I loved for its Gothic allure. Upon approaching the CBD, I was unaware of the spectacle I would soon be witnessing. One word (sort of) - Re:Start! This Place Making project is Christchurch's phoenix rising from the ashes. The mall is usable art at its best, and most utilitarian. I can see why it's number six in the Lonely Planet guide to the ‘must visit’ places in the world.

1  Thank Vanessa L
Reviewed 10 July 2014

What a credit to the city - container shopping so very well done, cafes all over and a fantastic atmosphere resurrected from the carnage of the earthquakes. Well done Christchurch

1  Thank Waryonetwo
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Unique shopping area that embodies the new start-up the area needs. Modern and stylish, we spent more time than we thought we would initially. If nothing else, go have a wood-fired pizza, that was worth the visit alone.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

....ravaged inner city. I love the ambience created by the colourful container project, and hope the city planners have the wisdom to build on that innovation