“The Start Up Mall”

and up
Christchurch Hop-On Hop-Off Tram
Ranked #35 of 257 things to do in Christchurch
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Originally a shopping street, after the 2012 Earthquakes, Vontainer shops were set up for local traders. Now few remain as the Multi Nationals have moved in. My favourites are Colin Johnson's GROCERY SHOP (ex North end of Colombo Street) and Kathmandu.
BUT Stroll along and visit Ballantynes Department Store as well as the other attractions. The QUAKE EXPERIENCE is here. My friend the Pied Piper from Cathedral Square may play his pipes of pan for yo

1  Thank PETER T
"innovation"
"banks"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I've been here on numerous occasions, as I live in the city. The first time I heard about a container mall..I imagined drab shipping containers lined up with racks of clothes in them. I was pleasantly surprised that it is nothing like that. It is a beautiful, colourful collection of shipping containers that have been outfitted with proper shop windows to create a wonderful place to just hang out. There are many clothing stores, as well as numerous coffee and food containers/stalls. If you're in town, definitely don't miss this.

This was meant to be a temporary collection of shops, a symbol of hope for the city. But I hope that it stays for good, and spearheads a revival of the city centre.

2  Thank Felix L
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The Re-Start mall is such a creative, spirited, and exciting idea! A mall of stores built from re-cycled overseas shipping containers. Each one is painted different colors and decorated differently. What a spirit after the earthquake! Some great shops, cafés, and little eateries. Fun spot.

1  Thank Jaimie L
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Re:START is the new "shopping complex" in the city centre built out of shipping containers. There are even banks like Westpac and the Kiwi bank in shipping containers...one would think they would have enough money to build new buildings for their city branches. As a concept it's interesting. Let's just hope they will rebuild Cashel St the way it was before 2011.

1  Thank Janulik
See more reviews
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I'm an Australian marketing communications specialist involved in Place Making... I'm also a New Zealand devotee. The land of the long white cloud has been the destination of my annual pilgrimage for the past decade. In that time I've come to know the South Island (in particular) very well. In April this year I returned to Christchurch to mourn the devastation of a city I loved for its Gothic allure. Upon approaching the CBD, I was unaware of the spectacle I would soon be witnessing. One word (sort of) - Re:Start! This Place Making project is Christchurch's phoenix rising from the ashes. The mall is usable art at its best, and most utilitarian. I can see why it's number six in the Lonely Planet guide to the ‘must visit’ places in the world.

1  Thank Vanessa L