“Clean, and very friendly staff”
Review of Kiwi House

Kiwi House
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My stay in the Kiwi House was short but sweet. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the hostel is very clean, conveniently located some 15 minute walk to the city centre, and close to local shops and public transport. I've stayed in many backpackers, and I'd rate this one as one of the best. If I'm ever back in Christchurch I'll definitely try to stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 16 August 2014

wonderful value for your stay in christchurch. reasonable price, clean and tidy rooms, well eauipped facilities, friendly staff, convinient location to city center.
even guests who were staying at kiwi house were nice. you may get new friends there!
feel free to ask anything to the staff. they are very helpful!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed for 2 weeks in the one in Hereford street and we enjoyed our time. Very clean,with a locker in the kitchen for your food, 10 minutes walk from the restarting mall and we met very nice people, maybe not enough character..a bit too white but it doesn't really matter.Especially if you have to stay a bit longer is a good place to stay..sweet as!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ilamaschi
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Excellent value for money - rooms were clean, as were all the facilities and staff were friendly, helpful and informative. Free lockers available in the kitchen for all your stuff. We'll equipped kitchen. It felt very safe. The hostel was close to the city and there was a very comfortable discounted shuttle bus to the airport. Probably the cleanest hostel I have stayed in yet ( but maybe because it wasn't' very busy when we were there!) Probably the only downside we're the itchy wool blankets on the bed, but that's just my personal preference I guess. We would stay here again for sure.....

Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stayed in 3 differents times in Kiwi house, and the recepcionist since we started in contact by email was always fast and kind. When I arrived it was the same, well atended. Single romos are really nice, good smell and clean, same with toilets (sharing) in the first floor.

Room Tip: Rooms in the first floor, apparently seem to be better tan the second floor.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I think my stay here would have been more enjoyable if there were no bed bugs. And the staff didn't help by thinking my bites were allergies or rashes. They refused to think it were bed bugs because they couldn't find any on the beds and it was during winter. Not to say the hostel isn't clean because bed bugs do travel on clothing and can be brought over by anyone staying in the hostel.
But, I think the hostel could use some improvements. Like the bathrooms for example. I've watched the staff clean the bathrooms and what they did surprised me. I hardly see them use the chemicals that were provided to them. Sure, the bathrooms look clean but, who knows how many germs were crawling around because it wasn't washed with detergent!
Then there is the problem with the kitchen. Pots and pans could use some upgrading. Knives could definitely be replaced with sharper ones. And the stoves and ovens should be repaired. There was only one working oven and there are three stoves available to be used. I stayed at this hostel for four months and every night there are people waiting to use this one working oven. Imagine, over 20 people are staying at this hostel. There are always at least five people waiting to use the oven. Where were our money going to? The owner's pocket? We're paying a little above average rate for the hostel and there were no improvements to the hostel.
And the dishes! I've stayed there for four months and every night, there were always a mess left in the kitchen. No one cleans up after themselves and they leave it for the staff to clean it for them. The staff are not their mothers. I don't know why the hostel would make the staff clean up. There are also signs posted on the walls that if the hostel catches anyone not cleaning up after themselves, they will be asked to leave. Remember, four months of staying there I kind of know who cleans and who doesn't. The people who doesn't clean up after themselves were still staying there. So, what is the point of those signs if the rules were not enforced? Again, I think this hostel cares more about money than the comfort of the people staying there. This hostel supposedly pride themselves in good service, cleanliness, and quality. In my opinion, this hostel is not up to par.
If anything, they should learn from the YHA. YHA is always clean, good service, and have better equipment than most hostels and I'm paying decent rates with them. The travelers staying at YHA always clean up after themselves. Kiwi House rates are a little higher than average depending on the season and I'm getting below average kitchen utilities, no internet, and "looks" clean hostel. I think Kiwi House should learn from YHA.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank dragonnight
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I stayed here for about 5 nights. In a 6 bed then a 4 bed dorm. In terms of hostels in Chrictchurch these days - it is well prices. You can pay a lot more per night for an awful hostel. This one had no faults really other than lack of atmosphere. Staff was extremely friendly. Rooms adequate, secure parking and building. Decent Kitchen, sufficient bathrooms. I would decinitely recommend and stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends