“Excellent”

Ranked #25 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
Yorkshire
“Excellent”
Reviewed 19 March 2008

Myself and wife stayed at the classic villa for 3 nights around Christmas day.

Peter the host is rightly passionate about the accommodation and nothing appears to be too much trouble. The hotel arranged for a Christmas day lunch at Tiffanys, and advised us on the local eating scene.

Peter appears to be a bit of a gastronaut, the excellent breakfast being more at home in Spain than the Canterbury plains but what a refreshing change from the ubiquetous flabby bacon and stale eggs.

The rooms are well appointed (alas no baths only showers), crisp and clean, boutique hotels all too often claim to be 'shabby chic' when in reality they are only 'shabby', no such problems here.

The highlight of our stay was Christmas day which after an excellent 5 course lunch at Tiffanys was spent in the hotel garden soaking up the sun, reading and drinking the excellent Kiwi wine.

Compared to the rest of the hotels we stayed in New Zealand this place is not cheap but considering the location, the rooms and the breakfast it is well worth the extra cost.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — no bath, only showers
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donnyknitter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 19 March 2008

We found the Clasic Villa to be a wonderful experience. The rooms are comfortable, the location is ideal and the rates are very competitive. My husband and I thought the breakfast was excellent - an amazing array of fruit, cheese, meats, breads, and delicious breakfast pizza in addition to the usual cereal and juice. Lots of additional items are available, thoughtfully presented and efficiently served. Peter was very helpful and accomodating.

• Liked — Excellent value, very wellappointed rooms, location
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
Minnesota
Reviewed 4 March 2008

My husband and I just returned from a 15 day trip to the South Island, New Zealand. We started in Christchurch and stayed at the Classic Villa for 1 night. Overall, this was a positive experience. The great things about the B&B are the location (it is ideal and located close to the Botanic Gardens and the Arts Center), the room (nicely appointed, slightly small, but large bathroom). The decor of the house was beautiful and sort of a modern Victorian style. The breakfast, I have to say, was not very good. We stayed at 9 B&Bs in New Zealand, and this was only 1 of 2 with no hot breakfast (the other cost half as much). We stayed at many B&Bs in this price range, and a hot breakfast seems pretty standard. In addition, the owners don't have that friendly B&B attitude, which was fine, but it wasn't necessarily as warm and inviting as other places we stayed. That being said, other than the mediocre breakfast, the location made up for it, and it seemed a reasonable value for the area. I am grading it neutral/ average at its price point overall, though I suspect that it is above average compared with ALL properties in the area. I would stay here again, but it wasn't my favorite stop of the trip!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Luv2RunMN
Peterm8, Host at The Classic Villa, responded to this review, 7 March 2008
I was very distressed to read the last 2 reviews.
Interestingly they were both from "younger" guests.
Our Mediterranean Breakfast has been rated as one of the best in NZ by probably 95% of our guests.
This breakfast is included in the Room Rate.
We do have a cooked breakfast available at a extra cost, - though it is seldom asked for, because of the large selection and variety that is provided.
Flies are generally not a problem and on the very rare occasion we do spray we advise the guests and always only spray at floor level.
I can assure future guests that we do have a "TOP" breakfast, along with fantastic facilities and the BEST location in Christchurch.
Peter Morrison
Your Host
New Zealand
Reviewed 16 February 2008

We stayed for two nights in January. The room was very nice, decorated much more like a nice room in a house rather than a hotel. It was very quiet, the only noise comes from the toursit tram which doesn't start early in the morning.

Having tea and coffee and biscuits in the kitchen at all times was a nice touch.

The breakfast wasn't great. There was a really poor selection of cereals, the croissants weren't fresh and there just wasn't enough in quantity to fill you. What was also a little weird was the host walking around the room spraying fly killer at waist height every 5 minutes. Although that could be a bit of a New Zealand obsession with trying to kill flies, personally I'd rather have spots on my apples just leave me the birds and bees, please.

• Liked — The really nice biscuits
  • Disliked — Fly spray for breakfast
Seattle
Reviewed 4 February 2008

I am very pleased with my recent stay at the Classic Villa---I arrived early in the morning after a series of lengthy flights and the host was very generous in allowing me to check into my room when I got there. Additionally, in the months prior to my visit he was very prompt at responding to each and every one of my e-mail inquiries and assisted me in arranging several activities in Christchurch before I began a bike tour of the South Island.

I can't imagine a more hospitable and welcoming inn---as other reviewers have stated, it is in a phenomenal location, it's quiet, clean and charming. The food is excellent, and the host is friendly and accomodating. I highly recommend a stay here, it is well worth the money.

Auckland
Reviewed 27 January 2008

Much as other reviews stated, this is in an excellent location and has parking. I suggest those who want to spend a couple of days exploring the inner city stay here.
Its expensive, and I think unneccesarily so. Though to be fair I found Chch suprisingly expensive in general.
Essentially a very nicely presented B&B. The staff were friendly, but our room size was a minimum. Don't expect a hotel here, no pool or much of an outside area. (Has a small BBQ area). Normally I stay in Motels a little further out from the centre which are considerably cheaper and I think would better suit people exporing the region. Or even central hotels can be had for similar rates that have full hotel services (though I rarely use them).
That said, I think its a good place for overseas guests as its cosy and more personal. Remember the very high Tripadvisor rating is a sign of people enjoying their stay and having virtually no issues, rather than this place being anything particulary great.
The tables in the main area were always fully layed out with dinner setting. This gave us the impression that this was done to stop the guests using it. The result was the communal area was almost always empty (and the rooms were full).
As for the mediteranian breakfast, it looked good and I thought it was ok but my wife was dissapointed. The coffee was bordering on undrinkable!!
Oh, Cookin With Gas is two doors down and is a brilliant restaurant! Highly recommended!
All in all, a nicely presented B&B very close to Chch city centre.

• Liked — Location and cleanliness
3 Thank kiwikan
Melbourne
Reviewed 24 January 2008

We stayed in Christchurch for nearly two weeks for a family reunion and seeing the sights. We contacted Classic Villa direct after reading previous Tripadvisor reviews and were not disappointed. The hotel is charming, inviting and quiet. The hosts are a delight and the location can't be beat. The rooms are spacious, well appointed and very comfortable. Each day at the Classic starts with a healthy and generous breakfast which you will love.

Classic Villa has the best location in Christchurch, right in the heart of the cultural district just two or three minutes walk from the Art Gallery, Botanical Gardens, Canterbury Museum, cinemas, tourist tram, outdoor markets and an excellent array of cafes and restaurants. We ate often at Dux de Lux about 3 mintues walk away which serves good quality vegetarian and fish fare with extensive indoor and outdoor dining areas. The city centre and shops are just a short stroll away, about five minutes.

Christchurch is a pleasant, friendly city, not large but everything you want is there. It's also a great base for touring the region with much of interest in short or extended drives. After returning home from your New Zealand holiday your stay at the Classic Villa will remain amongst your fondest memories and you will already be thinking about going back to enjoy the experience all over again.

• Liked — the room, the hosts, the location and breakast
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple