“Exceeded our expectations!”
Review of Clearview Lodge

Clearview Lodge
Ranked #12 of 136 Christchurch B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My wife and I had never stayed in a bed and breakfast before and she was especially wary, but all of the excellent reviews persuaded her that the Clearview Lodge would be a great choice for our first. I'm afraid that the bar has been set so high, it will be a difficult experience to top.

We took a two week holiday with her parents that were visiting from the US. The first week in Melbourne, combined with their jet lag, made them really look forward to a more relaxing second week in New Zealand. Our hosts, Sue and Robin, were very accomodating and greeted us with with wine from their vineyards and olive oil from their groves.

One of the highlights of the trip for my mother-in-law was the tour that Sue gave us of the grounds and her beautiful gardens. And my father-in-law enjoyed the cats! Though I would have to say that his favorite part of the stay was being able to watch the Superbowl in the middle of the afternoon on the commfortable leather furniture in the guests' lounge.

Even before our arrival, Sue took great care of us! I was trying to book tickets on the Tranz Alpine train from Christchurch to Greymouth through the Southern Alps, but was having trouble from Singapore. Sue's efforts saved us hundreds of dollars on the round trip. Her sage advice to book our trip a day later when New Zealand had a national holiday saved us from from being disappointed in trying to see other local attractions that might have been closed.

The house was beautiful, well appointed, and very clean. Again, the grounds were gorgeous. But my personal favorite part of out stay was the breakfast that Robin and Sue took turns making us every morning! We had loads of fresh local fruit, breads, teas, and coffee. They were also very knowledgeable about local restaurants and the pizza delivery our first night saved us from having to venture out again after a long day of travel.

My wife's favorite was the treasure trove of menus from local restaurants she found in the guests' lounge upstairs! The location of the Clearview Lodge in a northern suburb of Christchurch made it very easy for us to enjoy great meals within a very short 10-15 minute drive. Not being used to driving on the left, that was literally a life-saver for me...

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ArnoldEats

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Clearview Lodge was among the top accomodations we had during our 1 month trip around New Zealand. Sue and Robin were very warm and welcoming when we arrived and despite our jet lag we felt right at home. The property itself and the surrounding area is beautifully landscaped and the room was wonderful, plus our hosts shared their own wine with us which was very special. We highly recommend the Clearview Lodge if you are in the Christchurch area.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Fantastic house....for the rich and famous:) We came early and were greeted with warmth, kindness and apple coffee cake with tea. Sue and Robin went out of their way to make sure that our journey (Air travel) went off without a hitch. Guests can go up to the common room (Which over looks their vineyards and their neighbor's deer farm.) In the evening, guests can enjoy wine from the vineyard along with nuts, olive oil and bread and other snacks and stimulating conversation with the other guests hosted by Robin and Sue. Many of the snacks were from the orchards and garden. The breakfasts were great...made to order. The hosts really go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. Your not pampered, but thoughtfully taken care of.
Our bedroom was on the first floor. We loved the spacious room, the settee, the king size bed the lovely bathroom, the french doors that led into the back yard, the soft bathrobes and slippers and fruit and chocolate.
They have free WI-FI

Room Tip: We loved the first floor bedroom.... I believe the price is $375.00 a night, but I think you may be...
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We did not plan to stay at Clearview. We had actually planned to stay in a hotel down the road which got flooded, so that hotel booked us into Clearview Lodge for the night. Very happy that they did.

The hosts were amazing. The house and grounds are impeccable. The breakfast was lovely and homely. I have no hesitation in recommending Clearview to everybody and should we ever be in the vicinity again, that is where we will be staying.

1  Thank DimmestAcorn2
Reviewed 20 March 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a wonderful vacation to New Zealand. Of all our accommodations Clearview was by far the best. Sue and Robin were terrific hosts and their bed and breakfast lodging was delightful. We arrived late in the day from Kaikora. We were greeted by both hosts and then settled into our extremely clean and comfortable room. We had a beautiful view of the back lawn and vineyards from our balcony. Fresh fruit, cold water and chocolates were placed next to our bed. We visited with Sue and Robin in the public lounge that night and enjoyed some wine and port from their own vineyard. They were extremely helpful in their recommendations of what to do and where to eat in the Christchurch area. Sue called for us to the Curator's House (fabulous food) by the Botanical Gardens to make reservations for the next night. We wanted to celebrate our last night in NZ with our son and his friends and the restaurant was a perfect choice. We would not have been able to eat at the Curator's House on such short notice if it had not been for Sue's call.
Robin's breakfasts were delicious. He asked what we would like to eat and cooked the eggs to perfection. Sue's homemade jams on freshly baked breads were scrumptious. Everything about Clearview Lodge receives a "10 out of 10". I only wish it was closer to Richmond, Virginia!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
etypejaguar, Owner at Clearview Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Margaret and Bruce, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and that you enjoyed your dinner with Andrew and his friends. I hope Andrew enjoys the rest of his time in New Zealand and maybe you can come and visit again and see some of the places you missed on this trip and come back again to see us. Regards Sue and Robin

Reviewed 16 March 2014

I and a friend stayed for 3 nights in February 2014. I chose this location because I had been very impressed on a previous, solo, visit the year before. I was not disappointed. Robin and Sue were marvellous hosts who made us feel like part of their family. Their home is a magnificent property of which they are, justifiably, very proud. and they did everything to make us feel comfortable in it. I will certainly want to return aagain and will recommend it to anyone without reservation.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

David, Thanks for taking the time to write a review for us. It was really nice to see you again. I hope you got to visit the Museum in Waiouru as we discussed. Please remember to contact me when you plan to come back again and I will check to see if the Akaroa Museum has the display open which you wanted to see. Regards Sue and Robin

Reviewed 13 March 2014

We stayed at Clearview for four nights over two visits. Sue and Robin were such gracious hosts, providing a great location, very warm and inviting. They went above and beyond in so many ways to make our stay at Christchurch so special, from helping with dietary requirements to recommendations for where to go to in Christchurch and the surrounding area. Would definitely recommend the Lodge to friends and family as a great location to visit!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Gordon and Jeanette, Thank you for taking the time to write. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you enjoyed your train trip to the West Coast. We really enjoy when guests stay with us and then come back later in their holiday and we hear all about the things you most enjoyed. I'm glad you enjoyed the Zuchini slice as I haven't made with gluten free flour before but now I know it works well, I will use it again. Regards Sue and Robin.