“Nice concept!”

Jailhouse Accommodation
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Little rooms (but we knew because it's jail ;-), and a little bit cold. But a nice experience! With a cosy tv room, a great staff and a very clean kitchen. Go there!

• Stayed: February 2012

Reviewed 13 March 2012

I made deposits for March 7 and March 9 for a single standard room with a single bed and a TV. The first night was great and fun. When I came back on March 9 it was a disaster. They had given away the room I had reserved and put me in a room with bunk beds and no TV. After unlocking the door to my cell with bunk beds, I went back to the front desk and complained. The woman at the front desk said that they had changed the classification of my room that day. She said if I had come in earlier I would have gotten the room I wanted. My train was late and I couldn't get there any sooner. Besides, I paid a deposit for a single standard room with TV so why didn't I get what I paid for? The young woman called the manager and the manager said, "no refunds or discounts." So BEWARE. You don't get what you pay for.

Room Tip: I can't answer because they don't stand by their word.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Shirley B
Reviewed 7 March 2012

This is a great fun hostel - a converted jail. So the rooms are a little small, but they're comfortable. The place has good kitchen facilities and the staff are friendly.

Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I booked this accommodation on the recommendation of a Guide to New Zealand freebie book, and I wasn't disappointed. Everything was organised, down to being given a towel on arrival, and a guided tour of the communal areas and kitchens. As I hadn't stayed in a hostel before - and as a very mature traveller - I just hoped it wasn't full of teenagers getting drunk! But it wasn't like that at all.
To begin with, I was not the oldest 'inmate' there (the hostel's terminology, not mine); noise was not a factor as I had a room in the 'quiet zone' on the ground floor where no noise is allowed between 9.30pm and 8am.
Cooking facilities were excellent, and the whole area was clean. A free map is available, which I personally found invaluable as it was up-to-date.
I had a room with bunk beds as the single rooms had all been taken. Linen was clean, bed was comfortable. There are even hotwater bottles provided as it can get a bit chilly in the room - not to be unexpected really as the place WAS a 'corrective' establishment. I didn't feel cold at all.
Local facilities were reasonable - Burger King nearby (no surprises there), a couple of convenience stores, Subway, fish& chips, and so on.
It takes about 20 minutes to walk into Christchurch itself or, to get back, a number 7 bus from the Bus Exchange ($3.50) and it stops right outside the hostel.
A bus can be ordered to take you to the airport, or there is a free bus to the station - but only at specific times for those ones.

Room Tip: I had Room 6 on the ground floor. Rooms 4 and 5 are right next to the toilet/shower room, so might b...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights and it was a really cool place to stay. At first I felt a bit freaked out that it use to be a jail, but that's what made it awesome. I stayed in a twin room (a set of bunks), and what makes this place unique is that you're actually just staying in a jail cell. It's a great experience! They have good facilities - bike rental, 2 different cinema rooms, pool table and a really well equipt kitchen. The bathrooms were really clean as well! Bit of a walk to get to anywhere, but as it was nice weather this didn't bother me too much!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I never ever thought of staying in a jail until I came across The Jailhouse Accommodation. They converted the Jailhouse into a hostel very nicely. Its easy to find and has a parking area if you were to drive. Its a 15 min walk to the center of Christchurch. The communal bathrooms are clean and work very well. Its such a different experience from other hostels.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Stayed here beginning of december, so a late revieuw. Better late then never. The place is great to stay. You sleep in this prison cell at a bunkbed. The enviroment is great. Its has a kitchen, tv room and laundry service. Its a little bit located outside the centre but you can catch any bus for that. The staff is very friendly, helpfull. For the backpacker a great place to stay the night.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple