“Far to dated! Needs a good clean”
Review of Bealey's Hotel

Bealey's Hotel
Ranked #131 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
“Far to dated! Needs a good clean”
Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

Booked online. Arrived and they didn't have our booking even tho I had conformation.
Were put in a room with a double bed, YES A DOUBLE and 2 singles. Sheets nice quality. Bathroom tiny & in need of a good paint!
Totally not worth the $105

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

This place seems to have ignored the passage of time and is locked in the 1970's. First impression is of a barrack block although view into the courtyard is better.
The first room I was shown smelt of smoke, room 2 was already occupied and room 3 was very basic. Painted block walls, no bedside table, one chair even though there were 3 beds. In the restaurant my order was taken in the bar as there were no tables free, and then never passed to the kitchen. Food was fine when it came and I was offered a free drink for the delay.
I will not be going back

• Stayed July 2013
Boulder Junction, Wisconsin
Reviewed 15 March 2013

This motel has gotten some very bad reviews. I beg to differ. Considering that it was destroyed twice in two very serious earthquakes (one of which killed something like 185 downtown), these folks do very well. The food is good and plentiful in the attached Speight Ale House - the rooms though a little seedy are fully functional and after the light's out who cares what they look like. The real deal with these folks is the very incredible service from the office staff - Hannah and Iris in particular. We were there several nights on two occasions in the Feb/March time frame. They booked us with reservations for tours, transportation to highlights, and stored out baggage for us when we went other places in New Zealand where we didn't need all our stuff. They gave us advice and provided directions to places we wanted to walk. They performed at a par with a 5-star hotel concierge. I'd go there as a preference if I ever returned to new Zealand - I feel my partner Diane and I made some friends - we almost hated to leave. John Aldridge, Colonel USMC Retired

Room Tip: Until they rebuild, the rooms are all the same - about a motel 6 level - after the first (2010) quak...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank John A
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Reviewed 18 January 2013

After reading the reviews for this hotel I was a little bit worried about staying here, the hotel was booked as part of a tour package I was about to undertake for pre and post accom.
I arrived rather early in the morning 6am and the staff kindly took care of my bags and informed me my room should be ready around lunch time if not earlier they were just waiting on the guests to check out.
By 10am I was in my room, the beds were comfortable the decor a little out dated and the bathroom could have been a little cleaner but overall i was expecting a lot worse than what I got, one thing you have to take into consideration with this hotel is they lost part of it in the 2011 earthquakes.
I was happy with my stay both times I was there.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank ldodsy
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We stayed here for one night on the way home from a family Christmas in Canterbury, and we not impressed with the low standards. We booked a room at the Avalon Hotel, who over-booked their hotel and sent us to Bealey's. We had to share a single bed, and we not aware of this before given our room. The blanket was ripped, and there was no Sky TV, only basic cable. Our room was right in front of reception, and the shuttle van was dropping people off all night. The walls are thin and could hear people talking through the walls and outside all night. I would have rather stayed at a backpackers for the same experience and saved half the money.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Reviewed 6 December 2012

I had booked and paid for one night's stay at this hotel and after travelling for over 30 hours from UK I was looking forward to freshening up before enjoying a meal and a few drinks in Speights Ale House but this was not to be as upon my arrival I was confronted by the rudest woman I have ever met in my life who promptly told me I was not staying there! When I showed her my booking form she took it off me and said that I was being moved to another motel and despite my query as to why the only reply I received was that 48 rooms had been lost in the earthquake. Whilst I am sympathetic to the devastion which has so greatly affected this city I had to ask why then was money taken from my account to pay for my stay some 10 days previously? I received no coherant reply whatsoever and when I enquired as to how I was to get to this new accommodation she suggested that I run after the taxi cab that had just dropped me off! She was being quite serious about this and I was lucky enough to catch him before he drove back to the airport. I asked for my booking form back but she snapped that she would be keeping it as Bealeys had paid for my accommodation at the new motel. At this point I simply gave up and left the premises.
I would warn anyone reading this review to avoid this place at all costs, the woman in question clearly dislikes dealing with the public and if she is the front line of Bealeys then I am certain you can find better service absolutely anywhere else within the city!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Masterton, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 November 2012

We stayed at this hotel during cup week.
We found the unit we stayed in dated but ok compaired to what we paid.
They had obviously been decimated by the earthquake as the outside surrounds were a bit rough, but it was to be expected.
With some of the rooms demolished there was plenty of parking.
Speights Ale House is attached to the hotel that provide consistant mid priced meals with good Irish music even on cup night.
The staff at the hotel were very obliging and treated us in a very profesional manor.
This centrally located hotel is worth a visit we will stay here again

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple