“About the only chain-hotel in Christchurch”
Review of Ibis Christchurch

Ibis Christchurch
Ranked #37 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
GreenLeadersBronze level
singapore
“About the only chain-hotel in Christchurch”
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Despite the dearth of international-chain of hotels in Christchurch Central, one could still find a hotel situated right next of it in Ibis Christchurch - about the only hotel of choice at the moment. There is no lacking of community get-togetherness in Re:Start Zone across the road from the hotel when we were there on last Friday evening 14 Dec. I could see the resilient spirit among the residents from these community-programmes.
When returning from long distance coach from far flung South Island cities, this hotel is good for overnight transit stop to take a flight the early morning after. The hotel has a good shuttle arrangement which costs NZ$25 for 4 commuters.
The room. like other Ibis-chain of hotels, is characterised by its compactness of room and small-size bed/flimsy soft-pillows. At the promo rate which I booked through Accor hotels months earlier, this hotel has everything a traveller would need - laundry to wash clothings, a restaurant to fill the hungry stomachs. However the watering holes are situated streets away. Supermarket is about 5-8 mins walk from hotel.

Room Tip: We were served by Tom, who was kind enough to oblige and let the travelling group of 4 to have 2 nei...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Tim D, General Manager at Ibis Christchurch, responded to this review, 26 December 2012
Dear emersonlou9285,

Thank you taking the time to share your experience with us. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay as well as our Food and Beverage services in the hotel. I am particularly glad to hear of the great service you were provided by Tom at front desk. I will certainly share your comments as this will serve as encourage to him.

Once again, thank you for sharing your comments with me. I certainly hope to be able to welcome you back to Ibis Christchurch in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 December 2012

With the dearth of hotels in central Christchurch after the earthquakes, this is an obvious choice. Modern, clean, just across the block from the Restart Mall, with panoramic views of the city in ruins. From the window by the lift you get a close-up view of the wrecked cathedral.
The two double beds are comfortable and the room is clean but both the bedroom and the bathroom are very small, almost cramped.
As long as you are not expecting luxury, this is a perfectly adequate hotel for a short stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Bea962
Tim D, General Manager at Ibis Christchurch, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Dear Bea962,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room, cleanliness and location of the hotel.

We do certainly have some spectacular views of Christchurch city in its re-building stages and I am glad you were able to take advantage of this and hopefully fill your camera with plenty of memories.

I do hope to be able to welcome you back to Ibis Christchurch in the near future. Once again, thank you for sharing your experience at Ibis Christchurch with me.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2012

Stayed here in November this year. The hotel is clean, and the staff friendly. After a long flight, they allowed us to check in early. The room was a little tight for space, and the bathroom quite small. But functional. There's not a lot in the area, except the Restart Mall across the road which had a reasonable choice of things to eat, but everything else in the city is pretty much a disaster zone still. Had to drive 5 minutes for somewhere to eat outside of the hotel.

Bizarre to see buildings at strange angles, and tourists coming up to just outside the hotel to take photos of a disaster zone.

There were two parking options. I think the open air car-park across the road was $15 a day, but could be wrong.

1 Thank runbhk
Dear runbhk,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at Ibis Christchurch. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the early check in, your room and hotel in general. I will certainly share your comments with the team as I am sure this will serve as encouragement to them.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back to Ibis Christchurch in the near future.
Banff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2012

hotel newly reopened after earthquakes, room comfortable, well serviced, food good, service slow, dining room chilly and buffet breakfast some distance from dining area. dining furniture is a bit outdated. no amenities nearby.

Room Tip: all rooms seen to be the same for all on trip
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Donald Y,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback.

I will certainly share your comments with the team, as I am certain this will serve as encouragement to them as we constantly look for ways to better ourselves.

Once again, thank you for sharing your comments and I do hope to be able to welcome you back to Ibis Christchurch in the near furture.
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Staying at this hotel was a surreal experience. The room was very modern, clean and tidy, and the staff were helpful. However, there are issues. New Zealanders must be very small because the bathroom was tiny. The shower was a box barely big enough to turn around in, and the shower was okay for me being over six feet tall, but it sprayed water all over my wife's head. While there were bath towels and wash cloths, there were no hand towels. i have never paid $200 for a room and not had hand towels. The television was a flat screen but it was square so it cut off both sides of the picture. The biggest issue however was the location. It is literally right next to the red zone, the cordoned off area of downtown Christ Church that suffered so much earthquake damage. As a consequence, there is nothing nearby in terms of shops, restaurants or attractions, except for the damage. There is no construction yet that we could so, and they are still in the process of demolishing buildings. There are a number of buildings partly destroyed that have yet to be demolished. Staying in a modern hotel next to all the devastation was surreal, with the rubble on so many lots where obviously there had been buildings, the partially destroyed buildings, and buildings that from a distance looked okay, but were obviously vacant, deserted, and stuck in time. I have never been in a war zone, but staying there felt being being in one.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Tim D, General Manager at Ibis Christchurch, responded to this review, 28 November 2012
Dear Hilton Rm,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us regarding your recent stay here at Ibis Christchurch. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

May I please request an email from you stating the room number we had you in as I would like to have the shower checked by our maintenance technician. Our shower heads are adjustable, however I am aware that there are a couple which have required lubrication due to not being used since prior to the earthquake.

Staying in centre city is a surreal experience with all that is going on in Christchurch and it certainly is part of the Ibis Christchurch experience as we have a fantastic view of all the action from our city view rooms.

Once again, thank you for sharing your comments. I do hope to be able to welcome you back to Ibis Christchurch in the near future.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Rude Obnoxious Staff! Hidden Expenses! No Prior Notification of Planned Inconvenience to Guests! Rooms With View of Walls!
Our experience with the Ibis in Christchurch commenced when I responded to an Accor hotel email advertisement of special deals on the recently reopened hotel. We pre-paid 4 days in advance,months prior to our arrival.
Upon arrival at the hotel, the staff behind the reception desk appeared incapable of smiling and spoke rather abruptly to us. I requested a room with a view rather than a brick wall as many reviews on Trip Advisor had warned may be provided. The response from the staff was "You have the standard room" in a very demeaning rude tone.
We asked where we were to park our hire car and we were told "You can park it across the road in the carpark for $25 per day." We sounded our disproval of paying an extra $100 for our stay and no alternative was offered.
We then read the A4 letter that was handed across the desk to us which stated that Prince Charles would be visiting the city the next day and that the streets surrounding the hotel would be closed from 8am. Despite having our email and phone details, Ibis failed to notify us of this prior to our arrival.
We asked for a refund and they flat out refused. I asked to speak to "Tim" who had responded to a number of reviews on Trip Advisor and he was 'unavailable'. We reasserted we did not want to stay and wanted a refund, to which a obnoxious man who claimed to be Tim's offsider appeared and again refused a refund, disappeared behind a door and reappeared to provide us a refund in a very rude manor.
We will never consider staying at another Ibis again. The staff are just downright rude and inconsiderate!!!
D&K

Dear dk A,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Ibis Christchurch. I am sorry to hear we were unable to meet your expectations and for this I do apologise.

Due to the nature of your comments, I have conducted a thorough investigation with my Front Office manager. While, you are correct in saying that the room booked by yourself was not of an upgraded category which has splendid views of Christchurch Centre city, I apologise that we were unable to offer you one on the day due to us being fully booked in that room category. We do always recommend a nominal $10.00 upgrade to our city view room to all our guests.

I do recall the incident with the car park, where you did not wish to pay the usual $25.00 per night, and due to this reason asked to be refunded for a prepaid special booking (non refundable), at the day of check in.

While it is clearly mentioned on all our booking websites that car parking charges apply, given the fact that our parking facility did not suit you and you no longer wanted to stay with us, as an exception, we agreed to undermine the integrity of the hotel, by offering you a full refund for the prepaid amount. As you may be aware, parking in central city is always charged, if not by us then by Wilsons Car parks or city council. Due to us being located in the heart of the city, there is no free parking available in our vicinity, as you will find with most major cities in NZ. I also understand that we offered the use of free internet in our lobby in order to find you accommodation elsewhere with ease.

It is very unfortunate that Christchurch City Council were due to close the street in front of our hotel due to the arrival of Prince Charles. I assure you we were only informed of this very close to the event taking place and as such had a letter ready for all our guests in advance and had alternative measures in place to ensure inconvenience to our guests was minimised. I do apologise once again that this did not meet your expectation as this was completely out of our control.

I do also apologise for not being available to speak with you in person due to me being in a meeting at the time, however, my Front Office Manager, did see me immediately and asked for my consent before he refunded a non-refundable special rate.

Having said the above, I am terribly sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations, even after having amended our policies to accommodate your requirements. It does sadden me that you did not actually stay with us in order for us to provide you with the superior service we pride ourselves in.
Sydney
Reviewed 25 November 2012

This is the only hotel in the city centre. The room was very small, the bathroom tiny. It was all very clean and well laid out. Everyone was very friendly. The restaurant food and service was very good.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Wolin,

Thank you for taking the time to share you experience during your recent stay at Ibis Christchurch.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with the team as I am certain this will serve as encouragement to them.