“Central location, comfortable hotel”
Review of Ibis Christchurch

Ibis Christchurch
Ranked #33 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Newly reopened hotel just outside of the red zone which was fenced off after the 2011 earthquake. The inspiring "shopping centre" built from shipping containers is just across the road. The hotel service was very friendly. We stayed in a clean and relatively big double bed room with a good view over parts of the city. The hotel restaurant was decent, with fresh food and good wine.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Tim D, General Manager at Ibis Christchurch, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2013

Dear 5starbackpacker,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team as I am certain this will act as encouragement to all our staff.

Thank you once again for your fantastic comments. I do hope to be able to welcome you back to Ibis Christchurch in the near future.

Reviewed 5 March 2013

The staff here were outstanding. I didn't need my room made up everyday and as I stayed there for the week I became quite chatty with the housekeeping staff as I would let them know what I needed for the room and what was unnecessary. They were always happy to supply me with extra milk for my tea or whatever I asked for.
It is expensive but as it is the only remaining hotel standing in Christchurch I guess it becomes more expensive with demand.
The rooms were comfortable and always clean. The Front desk is manned around the clock and the staff there were always friendly and helpful too. I checked out before 5am when I left and the gentleman manning the desk was almost painfully cheerful for that time of the morning.
My only complaint is the shower. The height was not adjustable and with such a small stall it just hit me in the face, where ever I tried to stand. I have definitely had better showers in my time but the water was hot and there was plenty of it so it was a small inconvenience.
Located centrally in Christchurch it is a premium spot to view the rebirth of the city.
I would recommend it as a business stop, you will be well looked after!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Dear Kolanda,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. It is truly a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Our staff are truly an asset to the hotel and I am very pleased to hear that you were well looked after during your stay. We have now changed several shower heads in the hotel and I am certain you will find our new shower head to be more to your liking.

Thank you once again for sharing your comments with us. I hope to be able to welcome you back to Ibis Christchurch in the near future.

Reviewed 5 March 2013

My friend and I stayed here prior to and after a coach tour in Feb 2013. Accommodation in Christchurch city is very limited due to the 2011 earthquake and a lot of coach tours start from here but don't let this deter you, the place is clean, staff are friendly and professional and the rooms are standard Ibis (beds are comfy). There are 3 or 4 computers for the guests in the lobby to use and a restaurant/bar on level 1. The restaurant is expensive but after the coach trip, this is standard across the South Island at least. Considering the amount of traffic that goes through this place, I think they're doing quite well and I'd stay here again. Well done Chch Ibis.
PS - you're right across from the Re-Start contaner mall and Ballantynes.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Catchews,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. It is genuinely always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team as I am sure this will serve as encouragement to all our staff. I am particularly pleased to hear that you not only enjoyed the high levels of service we pride ourselves in, but also our unique location.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to Ibis Christchurch in the near future.

Reviewed 4 March 2013

Stayed one night in the centrally located Ibis hotel.
This hotel had just been reopened one month since the February 2011 earthquake so everything was new.Rooms were very comfortable with standard room facilities.I had an evening meal in the restaurant as there was nowhere else to eat locally as no other business had reopened as of yet,and was surprised how good the standard was both food and service.Equally the buffet breakfast was excellent too.But what made this stay memorable was the location.When you stepped out of the hotel there was just no one or no traffic about.It was was just surreal.I felt i had stepped onto a movie set.whole streets were fenced off around the hotel with an eerily feel...........However a great hotel!

Room Tip: I had a room facing the main road but as traffic hasn't returned to the area it was no problem.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo

Dear Peter881,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

We are indeed fortunate to be located in this unique position and I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed not only the location but also our hotel.

I will share your comments with our team, as I am certain this will act as encouragement to all our staff as we constantly strive to provide high levels of service and a superior guest experience.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back to Ibis Christchurch in the near future.

Reviewed 26 February 2013

After spending two weeks travelling around the South Island, my husband and I stayed for one night in Christchurch as we had an early morning flight the next day. As with many hotels/B&B's we stayed in along the way, you only need to reserve a few days in advance. When booking a hotel in Christchurch three days in advance, we were disappointed to see that the only available hotel was the Ibis, costing NZD 250.00 for a king room, so for this price we expected some value for money. On arrival we needed parking and were advised we would have to pay $25 extra to use the Wilson parking across the road (which is actually ruined building foundations from the earthquake). When we went up to our room, our king bed was two singles joined together and a view was of a gloomy building next door. The hotel is generally new and nice but definitely a rip-off as it's one of the very few hotels left standing in the city after the earthquake. Next time we will stay in a hotel close to the airport.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lon_alyse
Tim D, General Manager at Ibis Christchurch, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2013

Dear lon_alyse,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am sorry to hear that our hotel did not meet your expectations, for this please accept my apology.

You are correct in saying that accommodation in Christchurch is very hard to find, especially 3 days in advance and as mentioned, Christchurch City was fully booked during the night you chose to stay with us. As a general supply and demand rule, when demand is high and supply is extremely low, hotel prices do tend to be higher than average. As such, finding the last room in Christchurch or any city for that matter, for $250.00, at short notice is generally common and mostly considered acceptable.

Given that we are only 3+star hotel our rate was $249.00 and you would usually find 4+star hotels charging over $300.00 for their last room in most cities. Carparking at Wilsons parks in all centre city locations is charged. This is a 3rd party carpark which charges $24.00 for 24 hours of parking and we sell this at a discounted rate of $18.00 to all our guests.

Once again, I am sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. Your comments are extremely valuable to us as we constantly strive to better ourselves.

Reviewed 24 February 2013

We spent two nights in the hotel after 3 weeks of a campervan tour of New Zealand. The hotel was very comfortable but its location is special. Central, yes but also close to the rebirth of the city making it a very convenient place to stay.
A negative would be the availability of reservations in the restaurant and unfortunately we were refused and had to find alternatives. No great problem and clearly one the staff were used to, as they furnished us with a map marked with alternative eateries.

Room Tip: Book a table on the restaurant in advance
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear bill186383,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. It is a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am pleased to hear that you not only enjoyed your stay with us, but also took advantage of our fantastic location. I am sorry however, that we were unable to accommodate you in our restaurant, but I do hope the map provided you with good alternatives.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with us. I do hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 21 February 2013

Extremely basic accommodation that certainly doesn’t warrant the premium price tag.

This hotel doesn’t have the facilities to would expect from a establishment charging over $200 a night for an extremely basic minuscule room. The fixtures and fittings are of the cheapest quality and despite the very recent refit it’s looking distinctly tired.

The shower pressure was so low you had to run around the cubicle to get wet the temperature constantly swinging from freezing cold to inferno hot. The hotel is keen to promote its environmental credentials, this extends to the free second hand plasters and soap in the shower. Absolutely delightful.

I was particularly impressed at the free ginger public hair provided with my television remote. However, I have my own thank you and would prefer to supply those.

Pulling back the see-through wooden blinds in my room I was delight to see I had an excellent view into the office block just a few meters from my window.

The cost of the internet is absolutely exorbitant, but walk out on to the front of the hotel and you can pick up a number of free Wi-Fi hotspots from the mall.

A unique feature of this hotel is the pick-up service for room service, where you order then go to pick it up, go figure. $12 for a toasty with processed cheese and plastic ham, squashed between two slices of budget sliced loaf…. pathetic.

Joking apart, this hotel is an absolute disgrace for the premium price tag and is best avoided.

Room Tip: Make sure that you ask to be placed at the front of this dive, otherwise you'll be looking strai...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Dugstor
Tim D, General Manager at Ibis Christchurch, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2013

Dear Dugstor,
Thank you for your comments about your stay at Ibis Christchurch. We are sorry that we didn't meet your expectations and for this we apologise. Thank you for bringing our attention to the shower pressure in your room. We have now completed a review of every shower in the hotel and I am pleased to report that the pressure is now excellent in all bathrooms. We are pleased that you took advantage of the free wi fi from the re-start mall but wonder why you didn't avail yourself of our 30 minutes free wifi in the lobby and restaurant and bar area. The 24 hour snack menu is an Ibis worldwide standard and as such is collected by the guests from the restaurant. We are sorry that you found the menu idea and the $9.50 toasted sandwich that is also served with a salad not to your liking. Once again thank you for your comments which we will use to help improve our service.