“A very good hotel under the circumstances”
Review of Ibis Christchurch

Ibis Christchurch
Ranked #36 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reigate, United Kingdom
“A very good hotel under the circumstances”
Reviewed 7 March 2013

This was the first time we had been back to Christchurch since the terrible earthquake of 2 years ago, and we booked the Ibis because of that group's reputation for consistent quality of service.

The hotel is situated right in the city centre and very close to the site of the former cathedral, which collapsed in the quake, as did most of the other buildings nearby. It is one of the few buildings in that area, and is a poignant reminder of those events. The staff cope very well and efficiently, and the rooms, as you would expect from an Ibis hotel, are clean, well-equipped and serviced, and presumably all with the same facilities.
We ate in the restaurant in the hotel, together with a large and noisy group of tourists, but the service didn't suffer in any way - the meal was excellent, and reasonably-priced.
We had to leave quite early in the morning for the airport, and the reception staff were, as always, very efficient and pleasant, in the Kiwi way.
We have absolutely no complaints, and would certainly return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Tim D, General Manager at Ibis Christchurch, responded to this review, 24 March 2013
Dear Robin S,

I am very pleased to hear that you not only enjoyed the unique location of the hotel, but we also well looked after by our friendly staff. They are truly an asset to our hotel.

I will share your comments with our team as I am certain this will act as encouragement to all of them as we constantly strive to improve ourselves.

We certainly hope to be able to welcome you back to Ibis Christchurch in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Newly reopened hotel just outside of the red zone which was fenced off after the 2011 earthquake. The inspiring "shopping centre" built from shipping containers is just across the road. The hotel service was very friendly. We stayed in a clean and relatively big double bed room with a good view over parts of the city. The hotel restaurant was decent, with fresh food and good wine.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Tim D, General Manager at Ibis Christchurch, responded to this review, 14 March 2013
Dear 5starbackpacker,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team as I am certain this will act as encouragement to all our staff.

Thank you once again for your fantastic comments. I do hope to be able to welcome you back to Ibis Christchurch in the near future.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 5 March 2013

The staff here were outstanding. I didn't need my room made up everyday and as I stayed there for the week I became quite chatty with the housekeeping staff as I would let them know what I needed for the room and what was unnecessary. They were always happy to supply me with extra milk for my tea or whatever I asked for.
It is expensive but as it is the only remaining hotel standing in Christchurch I guess it becomes more expensive with demand.
The rooms were comfortable and always clean. The Front desk is manned around the clock and the staff there were always friendly and helpful too. I checked out before 5am when I left and the gentleman manning the desk was almost painfully cheerful for that time of the morning.
My only complaint is the shower. The height was not adjustable and with such a small stall it just hit me in the face, where ever I tried to stand. I have definitely had better showers in my time but the water was hot and there was plenty of it so it was a small inconvenience.
Located centrally in Christchurch it is a premium spot to view the rebirth of the city.
I would recommend it as a business stop, you will be well looked after!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear Kolanda,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. It is truly a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Our staff are truly an asset to the hotel and I am very pleased to hear that you were well looked after during your stay. We have now changed several shower heads in the hotel and I am certain you will find our new shower head to be more to your liking.

Thank you once again for sharing your comments with us. I hope to be able to welcome you back to Ibis Christchurch in the near future.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 March 2013

My friend and I stayed here prior to and after a coach tour in Feb 2013. Accommodation in Christchurch city is very limited due to the 2011 earthquake and a lot of coach tours start from here but don't let this deter you, the place is clean, staff are friendly and professional and the rooms are standard Ibis (beds are comfy). There are 3 or 4 computers for the guests in the lobby to use and a restaurant/bar on level 1. The restaurant is expensive but after the coach trip, this is standard across the South Island at least. Considering the amount of traffic that goes through this place, I think they're doing quite well and I'd stay here again. Well done Chch Ibis.
PS - you're right across from the Re-Start contaner mall and Ballantynes.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Catchews,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. It is genuinely always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team as I am sure this will serve as encouragement to all our staff. I am particularly pleased to hear that you not only enjoyed the high levels of service we pride ourselves in, but also our unique location.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to Ibis Christchurch in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Stayed one night in the centrally located Ibis hotel.
This hotel had just been reopened one month since the February 2011 earthquake so everything was new.Rooms were very comfortable with standard room facilities.I had an evening meal in the restaurant as there was nowhere else to eat locally as no other business had reopened as of yet,and was surprised how good the standard was both food and service.Equally the buffet breakfast was excellent too.But what made this stay memorable was the location.When you stepped out of the hotel there was just no one or no traffic about.It was was just surreal.I felt i had stepped onto a movie set.whole streets were fenced off around the hotel with an eerily feel...........However a great hotel!

Room Tip: I had a room facing the main road but as traffic hasn't returned to the area it was no problem.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Dear Peter881,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

We are indeed fortunate to be located in this unique position and I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed not only the location but also our hotel.

I will share your comments with our team, as I am certain this will act as encouragement to all our staff as we constantly strive to provide high levels of service and a superior guest experience.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back to Ibis Christchurch in the near future.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 February 2013

After spending two weeks travelling around the South Island, my husband and I stayed for one night in Christchurch as we had an early morning flight the next day. As with many hotels/B&B's we stayed in along the way, you only need to reserve a few days in advance. When booking a hotel in Christchurch three days in advance, we were disappointed to see that the only available hotel was the Ibis, costing NZD 250.00 for a king room, so for this price we expected some value for money. On arrival we needed parking and were advised we would have to pay $25 extra to use the Wilson parking across the road (which is actually ruined building foundations from the earthquake). When we went up to our room, our king bed was two singles joined together and a view was of a gloomy building next door. The hotel is generally new and nice but definitely a rip-off as it's one of the very few hotels left standing in the city after the earthquake. Next time we will stay in a hotel close to the airport.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lon_alyse
Tim D, General Manager at Ibis Christchurch, responded to this review, 2 March 2013
Dear lon_alyse,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am sorry to hear that our hotel did not meet your expectations, for this please accept my apology.

You are correct in saying that accommodation in Christchurch is very hard to find, especially 3 days in advance and as mentioned, Christchurch City was fully booked during the night you chose to stay with us. As a general supply and demand rule, when demand is high and supply is extremely low, hotel prices do tend to be higher than average. As such, finding the last room in Christchurch or any city for that matter, for $250.00, at short notice is generally common and mostly considered acceptable.

Given that we are only 3+star hotel our rate was $249.00 and you would usually find 4+star hotels charging over $300.00 for their last room in most cities. Carparking at Wilsons parks in all centre city locations is charged. This is a 3rd party carpark which charges $24.00 for 24 hours of parking and we sell this at a discounted rate of $18.00 to all our guests.

Once again, I am sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. Your comments are extremely valuable to us as we constantly strive to better ourselves.
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We spent two nights in the hotel after 3 weeks of a campervan tour of New Zealand. The hotel was very comfortable but its location is special. Central, yes but also close to the rebirth of the city making it a very convenient place to stay.
A negative would be the availability of reservations in the restaurant and unfortunately we were refused and had to find alternatives. No great problem and clearly one the staff were used to, as they furnished us with a map marked with alternative eateries.

Room Tip: Book a table on the restaurant in advance
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear bill186383,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. It is a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am pleased to hear that you not only enjoyed your stay with us, but also took advantage of our fantastic location. I am sorry however, that we were unable to accommodate you in our restaurant, but I do hope the map provided you with good alternatives.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with us. I do hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.