“Great location”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Auckland, New Zealand
“Great location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

The Ibis is in the heart of Christchurch and it is perfectly located to walk around the devastated CBD of the city. The old cathedral is to one side of the hotel and the awesome container village is on the other side.

We stayed only one night, and found the hotel comfortable enough. Reception was good and processed us quickly. Friendly staff makes you feel welcome. We also had an undercover car park which was great.

The rooms: The beds were good. The rooms are pretty small though with little room to move around in. The bathroom equally so. But it was sufficient for one night. The TV was very small and high up - couldn't bother trying to watch anything. The temperature on the aircon could not be changed and the room was too warm.

The hotel decor is very dated and it would make a vast improvement if it could be refreshed.

Breakfast was ample and sufficient.

We booked the room through a special deal and so found the price/value ratio was good. If you can find something similar, it is worth staying there. I'd hesitate to pay full price though.

Room Tip: Higher floors have wonderful views over Christchurch
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Tim D, General Manager at Ibis Christchurch, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Travellers61,

Thank you for your review and your positive comments on the location, service and restaurant.

Our rooms whilst small are well appointed and have comfortable beds. We are looking at replacing the TV's with bigger ones in future. We apologize that the air-con did not cool your room to your expectations. Our maintenance technician is currently doing his routine checks to ensure that air-con in all rooms are working perfectly.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to see you again.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Wellington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed in a studio room on business for 2 nights on the top floor (level 8). The hotels condition is reflected by it's relative newness. It was clean and had a "fresh" feel. The staff were helpful. I had a rental car so took the option of parking in the basement. This was handy and access was made easy. I enjoyed the evening meal that I had in the restaurant, food quality was of a very good standard. The room though was unfortunately too compact for me(had 2 queen beds). I like a bit of room and a comfortable lounge chair. Found only one plastic chair that was squeeezed between the small table (fixed) and one of the beds. Would have been too small for 2 guests. The position of the TV in relation to the chair was not ideal. The choice of channels gave me 2 sky sport channels. Also the room had did not have a view. You look out to the side of another large building. The bed and pillows were very comfortable for me. As good as I have found in any hotel. There is no gym.
In summary, would recommend staying here if on your own and not spending much time in your studio room.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room with a view and some room to move around.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Buller48,

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. We are pleased to hear that you were happy with the cleanliness of your room, the quality of food in our restaurant and comfortable beds & pillows.

The size of our rooms is very similar to other Ibis hotels in Asia Pacific. I apologise if this did not meet your requirements. Also due to our centre city location, not all rooms have a view. We do try to allocate everyone a city view room but this is not always possible.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Christchurch.

Auckland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed in CHCH at the Ibis last year on business. Small room but fine for me as it was very local to the place of work. Parking limited at hotel, and due to limited hotels in CHCH at the time, very busy with tour groups. Hard to get a table at breakfast but nice food!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear Kiwis17,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I am pleased to hear that our location was close to your place of work.

You are correct in saying that our hotel is very busy, we try our level best to look after everyone and provide a high standard of service.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you again in future.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed two nights here, two weeks ago,it was as good as we expected, because of the Christchurch Rebuild, there weren't a lot of hotels in the CBD to choose from.The room was extremely small but clean, and had everything that other Ibis' have. My gripe is the slow return of the security deposit. We used a travel card for the deposit of nearly $500. Upon checkout we paid cash for the two nights, as we were heading straight to the airport to fly home and wanted to use up our cash on hand.That was 16 th May, as of today 27 th May, the deposit has still not been returned to my acct.,which means I can't cash in my travel card yet!!!!Lucky I don't have any pressing bills.The other disappointment was the restaurant,as there aren't many in the CBD,within walking distance,we ate in their restaurant one night, the meal was very nice and tasty, but very small and overpriced.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear essamy,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. I am very sorry to hear that it took longer than usual for the pre-authorization on your card to release.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the dinner in our restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Christchurch.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stayed in the Ibis Christchurch for 2 days during a business trip to the region.

Ibis Christchurch is pretty much in the central in the city, only issue with this is that there is so much road works (post-earthquake) going on it a little difficult to navigate around while driving.
The Rooms are clean but tiny and I mean tiny – I kept bumping into the bed or the walls. Reception was helpful but not overly friendly. There is parking available in the basement for $25 a night.
There is no bar fridge or water available in the rooms, the only way to get a bottle of water is to use a dispensing machine in the foyer. No room service, I had to order my food then go and pick it up and take it back to my room. Maybe I’m used to a little more luxury but it just felt very basic.

It would suit people / groups looking for a basic hotel in the centre of the city without all the sparkles.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank OzTraveller290374
Tim D, General Manager at Ibis Christchurch, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear OzTraveller290374,

Thank you for posting your review and for highlighting the cleanliness in our rooms, our central city location and our undercover secure parking.

Our rooms are compact but do include a refrigerator. Our worldwide brand standard for Ibis hotels means that we do not have mini bars in the rooms. We do also offer room service so it is disappointing to read that you were not made aware of this. We will highlight to all staff that this needs to be mentioned to guests who want to order a meal to eat in their rooms.

Thank you once again for your comments and we trust that your business trip to Christchurch was successful. We hope to see you again in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

The Ibis was a home from home for me as I stayed there for 3 weeks in December 2013 when visiting my son who had just moved to Christchurch. The service and care from the staff was amazing, the facilities were good and the room very comfortable. Very good breakfast buffet, bar, etc and I loved being able to sit on a balcony in the restaurant overlooking the re-emerging city. The hotel is right in the middle of the of the still devastated old centre and the new vision just moments from the beautiful botanic gardens, new Cathedral and Re-start shopping mall. I looked other hotels out in the now popular shopping areas surrounding the city and was very pleased that I chose the Ibis instead, it is really at the heart of the city's re-birth. If this review seems late in being posted - a not so good experience in another hotel has reminded me that in all the bustle of coming home and Christmas I had forgotten to post a proper thank you to the Ibis.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Dear Sue T,

Thank you for your review and it was great that you enjoyed your 3 week stay. We will pass your comments on to all staff to show them that their efforts are noticed.

Thank you once again and it was a pleasure to have you to stay. We hope to see you again in the future.

Nerang, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Ibis is nice and central in the city and a great base to explore it from.
We had a room with two single beds that overlooked the Restart Mall; spacious enough and very clean too.
Staff on reception were pleasant to deal with not to mention helpful when it came to directions, general queries etc.
Short walk to public transport, the museum and the mall.
Christchurch Cathedral is also directly opposite the hotel; although while we were there the cordon hadn't been lifted yet so you had to walk around as opposed to cutting straight through.
I would recommend Ibis to anyone staying in the city and would certainly return myself.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Tim D, General Manager at Ibis Christchurch, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear BNielson,

Thank you for posting your review and it was great that you found the hotel and service met and even exceeded your expectations.

Since you stayed the city is completely opened up and you can freely go anywhere.

We hope to see you again so that you can see what progress has been made in the city.