“Lovely Sushi!”

Sakimoto Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #26 of 966 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Porirua, New Zealand
“Lovely Sushi!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

I've had a fair bit of Sushi in my time and I still rate the food here at Sakimoto. It is very fresh and very tasty. It may be a tad on the expensive side compared to other places, but I'd be pretty hard pushed not to think that I got what I paid for.
My only slight disappointment and why I haven't given 5 stars was due to the lack of fish variety in my Sashimi.
The noodle hot pot was delicious. I opted for the Tempura Prawn with mine which was perfect. The soft boiled egg in my hot pot was simply one of the best I have ever had anywhere, anytime. It was only just cooked, teetering on the edge of not quite there, just about holding itself together. The heat of the broth allowed it to firm up as I are the rest and by the time I came to the egg, it was perfect! A lot of words for an egg I know...but it deserves them!
There aren't many options in Christchurch CBD at the moment so this is a welcome find and I will be back!

1 Thank Neil C

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Tempe, Arizona
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

The food quality here was very good and I did like the emphasis of quality over quantity with their dishes! Portions were a bit smaller than expected though but everything I tried was tasty so that easily made up for it. The process for ordering food took a while even after ticking off what items I wanted from the sheet but the food does come out quickly. I still remember the Japanese waitress she was super nice and friendly. Prices are reasonable for Christchurch as well especially with how much attention they put to details.

Anyway I managed to try the fish fillet with hot chili sauce which was advertised as a lunch special and that really impressed me so on another visit I ordered it a second time around. Highly recommended.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank nmestar99
“nice but expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

nice meal, friendly staff, restaurant in the nice location, but expensive, and don't have lots of option on the menu

Visited May 2014
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Best Japanese restaurant in Christchurch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

A small Japanese restaurant in Christchurch with some of the best dishes. It was a very memorable meal. Although it's a bit expensive I won't hold it against them because the dishes are just great. I will definitely be returning to this restaurant.

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank 655Carrie
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“The best Japanese we have eaten in NZ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

What a great place. We went walking around Latimer Square looking for somewhere to eat. Came across the tram station which looked closed, but it wasn't so we wandered in to see what was in there. Lo and behold, only the best Japanese restaurant in NZ. wonderful service. Great tempura veges, grilled salmon in miso, deep fried tofu, oysters, salmon sushi, tempura prawn udon noodles mmmm, and the desert was unbelievable green tea ice cram with cream and a sticky stuffed bun. Ate far too much and then topped it off with a few glasses of CHOYA Plum wine. What a great night.

Visited May 2014