“Cold soup, miniscule meal, stale bread - total rip off!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Alchemy Cafe and Wine Bar - CLOSED

Alchemy Cafe and Wine Bar
Cuisines: Wine Bar
South Island, New Zealand
“Cold soup, miniscule meal, stale bread - total rip off!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2010

We decided to have lunch here before seeing the exhibition at Christchurch Art Gallery next door. My mother ordered soup and bread - it arrived barely warm, and the bread (one small slice of vienna loaf) was stale. My dish "goat's cheese and fig in filo" arrived. It was miniscule, looking like an incinerated sausage roll, accompanied by one slice of pear, three baby lettuce leaves, and 1/8 of a tomato. When I saw the size of my meal, I asked for some bread, and was duly brought a sad slice of the same day old loaf as my mother's serving. Her soup was taken away, and obviously zapped in the microwave. It came back slightly warmer, and not hot. My goat's cheese and fig in filo was sickly sweet, and if there was any goats cheese in there, I missed it. The final insult came we we went to pay, and found I had been charged $3 for the slice of stale bread. I would NOT recommend. Go somewhere else - the food stalls at the nearby Arts Center are a much better option. In fact, ANYWHERE would be a much better option.

1 Thank NZMainlanders

New Zealand
“Great Place to eat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2009

We went to the Alchemy Cafe in the Art Gallery twice whilst in Christchurch.

We found it to be very clean, waiting staff attentive and food very good.

The childrens menu was excellent, only three things to choose from but they were good options, at the time there was a chicken burger, a nice pizza and pasta. Two came with fries but also had a nice healthy salad on the side. (No chicken nuggets etc thankfully).

The main adults menu consisted of a nice variety of food, from the lamb salad, caesar salad to name a few. Both of these meals were cooked well and tasted great.

They had a great wine list with good options by the glass.

Overall a great experience when we went there.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“really good for a cafe style lunch, their coffee could do with a lil work but apart from that i found a magnificient...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2008

really good for a cafe style lunch, their coffee could do with a lil work but apart from that i found a magnificient cointreau and white chocolate creme brulee there!
my picks: caeser salad, white choc and cointreau brulee

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook