“Inedible food and terrible owner who gossiped me in the kitchen”
Review of Ann's Thai Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Ann's Thai Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: Asian, Thai, Bar, Grill
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Gave Ann's Thai a try a few years when they first opened some years ago. Ordered Curry Puffs, Beancurd Soup, and their special signature dish called "Ann's Salad". Curry Puffs is above average. Nice tender puffs, but sauces which come with it pretty average. Beancurd Soup awful. Came with minced pork. Could not believe that for an Asian restaurant owner Ann had no idea that the pork bought in New Zealand must be a female pork, otherwise it will have a terrible stinky smell which made it impossible to enjoy. The pork used was male pork and it smelled stinky. Awful Could not eat. The signature Ann's Salad was godawful. Came with lots of bean sprouts and chicken, prawns, and ugly tasting sauce. Could not eat. Asked it for takeaway to give to my family as I could not eat, but my family tasted them and they could not eat them too.

On the day I went the restaurant has no customer. Ann was there with her chef. The chef and Ann were very nice to me, then when they went into the kitchen they then started gossipping about me in a very bad way, and because they were so loud with their gossipping I could har everything they said. So when Ann came out of the kitchen I told her that I heard everything she and her chef said in the kitchen said about me, paid the bill and left. Absolutely terrible place and appalling owner. Completely insincere and her recipe was terrible.

I was surprised that so many people enjoyed coming here, given that this is one of the most expensive Thai restaurants in Christchurch, and also (in my experience), the most overpriced and terrible, both for food and service. As someone who is a connoisseur of Thai food myself I could not eat their food. Not recommended at all.

Note: my visit was back in January 1999 however there was no option for me to put 1999 in. So I put 2014 otherwise I cannot post my review.

Reviewed 8 February 2011

We had the dinner for two ($40) which includes two glasses of wine. The food was excellent and so was the service despite the fact that the restaurant was quite busy. We would definitely come back to this restaurant.

Reviewed 9 May 2008

nice food - ok service although we had to track them down for coffee.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook