“Great little family restaurant - consistently terrible service”

La Porchetta Riccarton
Ranked #624 of 1,100 Restaurants in Christchurch
Price range: US$6 - US$19
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 25 July 2013

If you are looking for a classy place to have a date or business meeting then this is not the place for you! However, if you are not feeling too snobby and generally enjoy italian styled food at a good price then head along!

I have eaten at La Porchetta a number of times over the years and have always found their value for money to be outstanding. Outwardly the restaurant comes across as a lowish end family place with moderately tacky (though clean and modern) decor and laminated menus. However, the food is surprisingly good - at least if you stick to the basics!

The worst thing about this place is the waitstaff that they hire and don't train! On our most recent visit we were seated by a perfectly pleasant young woman after a moderate wait at the front desk. She took our drink orders and asked if we were ready to order food - we had almost decided already but didn't want to make her wait so asked her to give us 1 more minute. She then disappeared for almost 25 minutes returning twice to the table adjacent to ours, ignoring/not noticing our calls for attention and eventually heading over to chat with her fellow waitresses. At this point I left my seat to remind her of my presence! To her credit, she was very apologetic and otherwise very pleasant as a waitress but I felt that her earlier service was unacceptable. I have had similar experiences on most of my visits to this restaurant which implies to me that it is a systemic fault rather than an issue with specific waitresses!

The service aside this is a neat little restaurant with good prices and generous serving sizes. I particularly recommend the pesto gnocchi (make sure you get Parmesan with it!) though I suggest ordering the "entree size unless you are feeling particularly hungry!

Reviewed 3 July 2013

We walked off the street with no reservation in to La Porchetta and the place was very busy, usually a good sign. After a short wait at the desk we were shown to our table. The menu is Itallian i.e. pizza pasta, salad etc. I chose the Cesar salad, and my guest had the chef's special which was an Apricot Pizza. The food was tasty, not fine dining but perfectly acceptable and the price was about what I would expect to pay in a high turnover restaurant.

Go there for a quick cheep meal, but don't expect a fine dining experience.

Reviewed 22 May 2013

3 visits, 1 good meal, 2 average ones, food is always hot and service is pretty good but the pizzas and pasta can be hit or miss. This was at the riccarton store.

Reviewed 5 May 2013

I visit La Porchetta quite frequently, its close to home, tastes great and is very well priced. Great quality of food, good service and great for families

2  Thank Samantha B
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Extensive menu. Very polite and friendly staff. Good portion sizes. Was a little less formal that we had thought. Would be nice to see a tealight candle or two on the outside tables in the evening - just adds to the Italian ambiance :)

2  Thank Andy_Max_G