“Faultless”

Ranked #205 of 1,051 Restaurants in Christchurch
Price range: US$7 - US$29
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Sala Sala has recently reopened under new management at 142 Papanui Road, Merivale Our new home is in a 2 store renovated house which provides a dining room on the ground floor as well as three dining rooms upstairs available for private dining or business meeting.
Reviewed 6 March 2014

From the moment we arrived the service was excellent. The lunch menu offered a good variety of dishes. I was tempted by the vegetable tempura but decided on the chicken teriyaki lunch set which included tempura, miso soup and rice. My companion ordered the 'Lunch Box'. An excellent choice. It was a bit more expensive at $25 but definitely value for money. It included a small sashimi plate, a side salad, and miso soup and rice. The box itself had little dishes with a wonderful variety of fish, crispy chicken, egg roll and other delights. My lunch was good but I was very envious of the 'Lunch Box'. Next time!
The evening menu seems similar but it would be fun to sit at the bar for the teppanyaki.

1  Thank Trish M

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Sala Sala provides authentic Japanese food served in an autjentic Japanese manner. We paid $55 each for a set menu comprising Miso and four excellent courses to follow. Superb quality. Finished with Green Tea ice cream. Drinks prices not over the top and the service is simply the besy in town.

1  Thank Kiwipj
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Went for the first time at the Papanui Rd location with 4 others. Had a set menu at the teppanyaki bar. The friends we were with are really into Japanese food! Must say that it was
nice food with attentive waitress's & chef's. Hadn't had this experience with Japanese food for a while. Not since 'Yamogen' in the Crowne Plaza Hotel which was munted in the earthquakes.
Will definitely go again.

2  Thank Annette T
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I'm always wary of Japanese restaurants. Yes, Japanese food is probably the healthiest, cleanest, neatest cuisine around, but being homest, I go to a restaurant to be fed. To banish hunger as well as savour the taste. Sala Sala comes close, but just not quite there. The food was delisious, but there just wasn't enough. It may sound a little grunt, but I needed more food. a starter of half a mushroon, one kumara chip, one potato chip and a prawn (all tempurs style) just didnt grab me. If the portions are gonna be that small then they better be exquisit. They were ok. The main did better thought. beautiful beef, an amazin scallop, and a decent salad with prawns. Service, as with all Japanese restaurants was prefect, prompt, clear and unobtrusive. If I want minimalist, I'll go to a modern art exhibition. When I return I'll go for the scallops, amazing! 6/10

1  Thank DarthFD
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

We came here from the main square in downtown. It's like a 25 min walk, and not the nicest one!

Just arrived we saw on the front door "no flip flops". We go in and the waitress told us that wouldn't be possible for us because of our flip flops.

Sorry but I forgot my Weston home... few thousands of kilometers away!