“Beautiful Japanese Food”

Ranked #207 of 1,097 Restaurants in Christchurch
Price range: US$7 - US$31
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Sala Sala has recently reopened under new management at 142 Papanui Road, Merivale Our new home is in a 2 store renovated house which provides a dining room on the ground floor as well as three dining rooms upstairs available for private dining or business meeting.
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Service was excellent, food exquisite. By far the best Japanese in town. Well worth your while to check out.

1  Thank Hailey1990

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We eat regularly at Sala Sala. It is one of our favourite restaurants in Christchurch. The authenticity of the food, the gracious service, and the friendly owners Toshi and Midori (who eventually became one of our very good friends) are what distinguishes Sala Sala above many Japanese restaurants in this city.

Sala Sala serves the authentic and delicious chicken teriyaki. Having visited Japan and fell in love with Yakitori and Teriyaki when I was there, I struggled to find a place that has a teriyaki sauce as delicious as what I had back there. It was many years and many 'bleh' Teriyaki at various Japanese restaurants outside Japan that I have given up hope. Lo and behold, I decided to visit Sala Sala for the first time in 2003 and ordered Chicken Teriyaki, without much expectation. Little did I know that my desperate search for the authentic Teriyaki dish in New Zealand has finally come to a happy end. Just the first bite of Sala Sala Teriyaki was enough to recall the beautiful flavours of authentic Chicken Teriyaki which I vividly remember from my wonderful time in Japan. Since then, we became the regular customers of this beautiful restaurant, and have come to know the wonderful owners of this place who we have had many enjoyable conversations almost every time we were there. I would have Teriyaki every time I visit this restaurant, as well as many other dishes, Tatsutaage, Tempura etc. They are all absolutely delicious. My brother loves Unagi-Don - grilled whole eel in teriyaki sauce serves with rice. It is available in the lunch menu. $22 for whole eel and plenty of top quality Japanese rice. Very good value for money.

I was surprised to find Sala Sala having negative reviews. At first I could not believe how can anyone dislike their food as it is as authentic as delicious Japanese gets. Then I read both, and realise about the "no jandal rule". I personally disagree about prohibiting people wearing jandals into restaurants. It is the behaviour of the people which should be paramount - if people behave badly, become rowdy and noisy, then they should be refused entry or they should be told to leave. But there are plenty of nice customers who would not mind too much about what they wear, and they would be refused an opportunity to have such amazing food. I urge the Sala Sala owners to re-consider this. In fact, I'll let them know personally next time I am down in Christchurch about what I think of this strange prohibition they implemented.

2  Thank Nitra001
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Visiting Christchurch from North Carolina. Stopped here for lunch and they would not allow us to eat because we had on "Jandals". There was only one couple dining in the entire restaurant. I would understand this at dinner. I don't really consider my leather Sperrys as Jandals but because of the attitude I will never return nor will my family in NZ!

1  Thank MRNNC
Reviewed 6 March 2014

From the moment we arrived the service was excellent. The lunch menu offered a good variety of dishes. I was tempted by the vegetable tempura but decided on the chicken teriyaki lunch set which included tempura, miso soup and rice. My companion ordered the 'Lunch Box'. An excellent choice. It was a bit more expensive at $25 but definitely value for money. It included a small sashimi plate, a side salad, and miso soup and rice. The box itself had little dishes with a wonderful variety of fish, crispy chicken, egg roll and other delights. My lunch was good but I was very envious of the 'Lunch Box'. Next time!
The evening menu seems similar but it would be fun to sit at the bar for the teppanyaki.

1  Thank Trish M
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Sala Sala provides authentic Japanese food served in an autjentic Japanese manner. We paid $55 each for a set menu comprising Miso and four excellent courses to follow. Superb quality. Finished with Green Tea ice cream. Drinks prices not over the top and the service is simply the besy in town.

1  Thank Kiwipj