“Amazing”

Ranked #94 of 977 Restaurants in Christchurch
Price range: US$10 - US$100
Cuisines: Asian, Burmese
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
MAnchester
“Amazing”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This was, without doubt, my favourite meal in NZ. The flavours in the tea leaf salad were delicious and possibly one of the best dishes I have ever tasted. Staff were so helpful and informative when asked about the dishes. Christchurch is on a long slow road to recovery, and this restaurant demonstrates success.

Visited April 2014

Whangarei, New Zealand
“Were not blown away, but a good restaurant”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Bodhi Tree is one of the busiest restaurants in Christchurch. When they were in the central city, they were always fully booked that it was almost impossible to get tables there. Got to try their food for the first time in November a year ago. I had very high expectations of this place because it is always so busy. I expected an absolutely amazing meal that would blow me away completely. I mean, how can so many rave about it, fight to get into this place? The food must be absolutely amazing, right?

Well, I would admit that it is a good restaurant with good food. But I was not blown away by it. Having lived in Asia for fifteen years, I am familiar with various Asian herbs and spices used in Asian cooking. Although I know nothing about authentic Burmese food, I know Thai, Chinese, and to a good extent Japanese food very well. I didn't taste much of these unique herbs and spices from Southeast Asia that I would find when I dine in Asian restaurants at Bodhi Tree. The dishes seem to be very westernised, albeit not in a bad way. They have a good recipe which makes these dishes work and taste good, but I doubt very much how authentic they are. The tastes are also quite soft. They don't go to the extremes like many Asian restaurants do, and I don't blame them for it. I think most New Zealanders prefer this 'slightly soft' taste this restaurant offers rather than fiery flavours of Southeast Asian cuisine which take time to get used to.

There is little Burmese-ness about this place. Staffs wear black T-shirts and pants like in western cafes, and most (if not all) staffs are European. Even the lady owner is a European. We were there at dinner and around 7 PM I had to close my eyes because the sun was getting into my eyes I could not see my friends' face. I was surprised that they did not invest in having blinds. The portions are also not big at all. The tea salad is nice and my favourite main is their lamb curry. All main sizes, while delicious, are small. About a bit more than half size of what other restaurants offer as their main. However, they have a clear warning in the menu that one should order two meals. So three of us ordered three appetisers and six mains, plus lots of rice. We almost finished all of them. We should have ordered only five mains.

Overall, a good restaurant with its own unique and delicious recipe, albeit it is questionable whether it is authentic Burmese or not. I could understand why this restaurant is popular, but it is far from my favourite. My taste buds prefer something much more extreme that what they offer.

• Visited November 2013
“Exceptional experience”
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

The food here is aaaammmazzzing!! Went last night and had the best dinner we've had in ages. All the dishes were outstanding. Awesome waiter, can't wait to go back

“The food is amazing and the atmosphere very warm and welcoming”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I spent a month in Europe around Croatia, Italy and Greece but went to the Bodhi Tree before leaving and it was by far the best meal I had all month. The food is unique, fresh and full of flavour. To top it off you always get a warm welcome and a smile from the owner Beverly. I'm looking forward to my next visit. Greg

• Visited August 2013
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Good but not fantastic”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I had a great meal here, the food was authenticate and served in a Burmese fashion which basically allows you to order a variety or foods that are all starter size which is quite nice.

The service was not very good - we had to wait ten minutes for someone to take our order and we were not asked if food was alright and I also had to get up to ask for another glass of wine.

However food came out quickly and was very good when it came for the most part - the squid was over cooked.

Would certainly suggest to others. Is good value for NZ.

• Visited March 2014