“Chef @ The Old Vicarage”

The Old Vicarage Cafe, Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #91 of 1,019 Restaurants in Christchurch
Price range: US$13 - US$28
Cuisines: European
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We are locals and been to The Old Vicarage quite a few times
Last night I ordered the Angus beef fillet 200gms, as soon as my food arrived it was very obvious it wasn't fillet beef. As I wanted to eat with my partner I said I would continue with that meal although I didn't consume all of the beef? The service was very good as always but on this occasion the chef let them down what chef can't tell the difference between the cuts of beef?
I had according to the chef rib eye but I'm still not convinced I'm sure it was sirloin whatever it was it was disappointing and expensive.
We were offered free coffee we didn't take the offer because we didn't feel like it and we were charged for a fillet which I didn't have. Time to step up I feel there's a lot competition out there especially in Chch.

1  Thank 538Andre
There are newer reviews for The Old Vicarage Cafe, Restaurant & Bar

Reviewed 18 July 2014

A friend and I popped in for a quick drink and something to eat. Really nice, lovely relaxed atmosphere. Friendly staff. And that Aolis I had with my chips was to die for!

Will definitely be back.

1  Thank Melissas G
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The place itself is very nice and warm, comfortable. The service was great, however the food was lacking. I understand small meals and big prices IF the favour is there, this unfortunately was lacking in size and flavour but was big in price. I had the venison and partner had the steak. Bland but not awful.
Wont be rushing back anytime soon.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The website information about what they were serving was very wrong--the menu was incredibly limited compared to what was advertised. We got (bar) food which tasted like it had been purchased from a pak'n'save (bulk consumer discount store) frozen food section and indifferently reheated, for average-high prices. The premises were very attractive--a sprawling establishment with many rooms and interesting features. However, despite the place being nearly empty, all the good tables were "reserved" and we couldn't sit there (no one showed up to take the "reserved" tables). The staff were friendly and prompt enough, and the coffee was excellent. However, the food was so bad I would recommend avoiding.

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

The staff here are always great!! Love the service here. ☺
Good solid food too, good sized portions and a menu where there's heaps of options u would happily order

1  Thank GF_adventurer_NZ