“OK for a night”
Review of On Top Backpackers

On Top Backpackers
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I stayed for one night in an ensuite room. I liked the fact that it was very central, and it was clean and comfortable enough, but there are certainly no frills. The deluxe ensuite rooms are geared towards the backpacker end of the market, but then it is essentially a backpacker hostel. I was surprised that there seemed to be nowhere to hang any clothing.

The deluxe ensuites are at the back of the hostel, so don't get traffic noise etc, but I was able to hear people in other rooms a bit through the night.

The service etc reflects the fact that it is primarily a backpacker hostel, and my ratings are on that basis, rather than comparing with hotels or motels.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are towards the back, so are no doubt quieter. The rooms are, however, small and basic...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
ontopbackpackers, Manager at On Top Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Checked in at the bar, a big thank you to the lovely staff, a young guy who was the nicest part of our experience staying here! He was very nice, helpful and we were happy when we left the reception. That's where the fun times ended. Too expensive ($28 per person during low season!!), small real dodgy rooms with no space for your stuff, the facilities were a joke: seriously, one block of showers (maybe 3 toilets and 3 shower cubicles) for how many rooms, 20? It's a joke which was not funny.
Alrightishly clean I guess, but there was no hand soap in the dispenser in the toilet, no paper towels, the shower cubicles were overflowing and no one came to clean up. Also no room in the cubicles to put your shampoo oar soap to - where are you supposed to keep it?! My shower cubicle door didnt close and i couldn't target the shower head to a new position so obviously the floor was wet. And the shower cubicles had plastic roofs....to make it extra nice and damp? Strange.
We also had very bad luck with our room mates, who were super rude: we told the old guy the next morning as we were checking out, and he held up his hands and said it's not his fault. Excuse me mister, we were NOT blaming you, just telling how it was since you did ask!!
Horrible, just overall real bad and can't suggest this to anyone, no matter how desperate you are! I wanted to sleep in the car after checking in!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

I had a booking made through hostelworld.com and my reason for choosing this hostel was the 24h reception since I knew I would be arriving later. When I arrived to the hostel I found out that my room was double booked couple hours earlier. Quite disappointing news after a long travel and to top this off it was my bday. Duty manager of that day Matthiew was incredibly rude and basically made it sound like it was my fault. He was not co-operating with us at all and made it very clear that its not his problem. He left me with no other choice than find another accommodation at 9pm. Worst customer service I have seen in a while!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emmi I
ontopbackpackers, Manager at On Top Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2013

We were sorry we double booked your private room and offered you a 6 bed dorm to yourselves as well as the difference in price back We were sorry this was not suitable to you . When you advised us it was your Birthday we offered you a $40 bottle of wine as well but you chose to just walk out We were apologetic then and now

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Spent a few nights at this backpackers, fantastic rooms, very clean and comfortable, fantastic staff with great tips on parking etc. My daughter and I were made to feel so welcome during our stay
Cheers
Owen Stephens

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Owen S

We our very thankful for all your positive comments, thank you

Reviewed 3 October 2013

The place is in the middle of the town, you have nice rooms, with windows on top. The kitchen is very stylish and the couches very comfortable. Downstairs you have good music, free wifi from the library or the hostel, great coffee or beer, and billard. In fact, it was hard to move on!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Laura J
ontopbackpackers, Owner at On Top Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you very much for your review. We truly appreciate it. The pictures are fantastic!

Reviewed 21 September 2013

A great place to stay. Located in the heart of town and with local beers on tap downstairs. Recommend a double room with ensuite. Staff are very helpful and the rooms are clean and safe. Bonus is the free breakfast!!!

• Stayed: October 2012

Thank you for your kind review. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

As the title says the On Top Backpackers was a great place to stay, the atmosphere was very good. It's as close as you can get to the centre of town and has nice food places walking distance away. the room and bathroom/shower area were very clean. the kitchen had everything you'd need if you wanted to cook your own meals. the staff were kind. my trip a all-round good experience

Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate it and look forward to seeing you again soon!