“Nice grounds, shame about facilities...”
Review of Aaron Lodge Top 10

Aaron Lodge Top 10
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Nice grounds, shame about facilities...”
Reviewed 18 January 2012

We had a powered site for caravan & awning. Nearly impossible to get pegs into stoney ground designed for campervans. Ablution block is old & crummy - needs updating. Showers were dirty, narrow & had no seat / shelf for items. Spoke to a staffer at our site to confirm how long we would be staying but he didn't pass this on to the office staff & I was rudely told off at length when we checked out. Children loved the pool and the grounds & it is very handy to town but I would not recommend this site for kiwi families wanting a typical camping experience, or those who are not self contained.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Hobart
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I'm in agreement with Caroway (Dec 2010) description: what a disappointment! We have 3 children so we are very limited in choice. But had we known we'd be crammed in, sleeping in a concrete bunker surrounded by carpark tarmac with more concrete bunkers to look at we'd have kept looking! It was grim. The outdoor playground looked good but was up stairs and couldn't be supervised so not helpful for my toddler. The room supposedly catering to the littlies was all but bare and uninviting while the tv room next door was arranged movie theatre style, cold and unwelcoming. I never saw anyone in either. Bring your own bedding as the stuff for hire was so tired and pilled and had obviously seen way too many nights. There were much newer rooms on offer elsewhere (with not much better views) but with the same facilities on offer (in an industrial area with nothing but corner shops) you're better off spending your time and money elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank DebraReeves

Travellers are raving about these Dunedin hotels

Volcano, Hawaii
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Okay, being that we were a group of Uni/college kids on a tight budget. We had a bunch of 4 of us and got the small standard cabin which holds up to a max of 3 people. It was so much better than a few other places we had stayed originally. A lot of space for our bags, and us! One person wanted to sleep on the ground instead of squeezing on the bottom of the bunk bed which was full size.

We loved the hot shower and even though we didn't have much to do in the kitchen, it was still a nice amenity. We had a heater that really did heat up the room. It actually got too hot! Especially since I was on the top bunk, and heat rises. We had some cups and cutlery in the room as well as a small desk two chairs and stool.

The atmosphere there was amazing! I think it is very family and kid oriented! Since we were at the top, we saw more of the layout of the park and there were a couple of playgrounds and were told of a place inside for kids. We didn't do much exploring of the park, but from what I was told by the lady who helped us check in, it came with a lot of interesting things that we would have probably used if we weren't time restricted and stayed a bit longer to just relax there.

Over all, we loved our stay there! Sorry, didn't get any pics for this place, but their website does have accurate pictures of the small standard cabins. I can't speak for the other parts. Again I apologize for not having pics. of this place, but here is their web page!

Room Tip: Womens bathroom is on the inside of the small standard cabin on the hill. (Right side if you look to...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 11 November 2011

stayed for a couple of nights with my daughter in law and two grandchildren ages 11 and 14. We had a motel unit which was very cramped and I guess we were disapointed after having stayed at the Top Ten in Greymouth which had much better facilities for kids. It was difficult taking the bags up the stairs. Motel unit was very clean, and laundry facilites great as were staff on arrival

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Situated on main road, ideal for town centre, approx 20mins drive. Room was very small, small bed which was uncomfortable, very basic kitchen, no wardrobe, cupboard space or anywhere to hang your clothes etc. Unit was modern and well decorated, but not very well cleaned, hairs in bathroom! Wouldn't recommend for a stay over 1 night, not comfortable. Not much parking, couldn't always park outside unit as no room, especially when other cars parked in their unit next door.

Room Tip: Studio Park Motel, very small units, parking an issue
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 July 2011

My wife and I stayed two nights in mid July and rented a studio Motel unit which are relatively new. We were astounded at the size of the room which was huge. The decore was very nice, the bathroom spacious with all the usual motel things and the unit was clean and well maintained. Would be surprised if this complex of units is any more than two or three years old. The facilities include a covered pool that the owner assured me is 30 degrees year round. A spa was great before bed. We had a motorclcle on the back of our ute and the owner allowed us to park the ute in his garage for the two nights we stayed. The camping ground area is very well laid out with power and tent sites and there is a wee golf course and some of the picnic tables around the grounds have board games built in to them. We looked around the kitchens and bathrooms and it was all very clean and tidy. We will be back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank jetsetter1957
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 26 March 2011

I stayed on the night from 25th to 26th March at this Top 10 Holiday Park on a tent site. Because I arrived late at night, I booked my tent site by telephone. I made the mistake not asking for the price. On the next morning, they charged me 30.60 NZD for a single person on a tent site for one night. This is a nasty rip-off and considering that this Top 10 Holiday Park in Dunedin is far out of town (you have to go from the town centre of Dunedin over a steep hill), it was really not worth the money at all.

Usually, holiday parks (including the Top 10 Holiday Parks) charge 50% of the price for a tent site to solo travellers. In other Top 10 Holiday Parks (Queenstown, Franz Josef, Motueka, Picton, New Plymouth, Rotorua, Russel, Kaihu, Ohope Beach) I paid - on an average - as a single traveller only 18 NZD (sometimes less and in very rare cases a little bit more).

Usually, Top 10 Holiday Parks are very nice. Only this Top 10 Holiday Park in Dunedin was a very bad experience for me.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo