“Best hotel we've stayed in during our 9 days trip to New Zealand”

Best Western 555 On Bayview
Ranked #17 of 61 Hotels in Dunedin
GreenLeadersGold level
Singapore, Singapore
“Best hotel we've stayed in during our 9 days trip to New Zealand”
Reviewed 7 May 2011

The owner was friendly and helpful, the room was clean and cozy (in fact, this was the only hotel that provided us with clean kettle), convenient location, LCD TV and free DVDs for guests to borrow! I had a 10-15 minutes chat with the owner when i was checking out, he's definitely very passionate about his biz.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Hamilton
Reviewed 25 April 2011

My husband and I stayed at this motel during Easter and absolutely loved it. The unit was clean, modern and spacious. It was situated right near local takeaways, supermarket and near the beaches. We are already looking forward to coming back again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed 8 April 2011

Stayed here for one night after looking at trip advisor reviews. We had been staying at accomodation suggested by other trip advisors for the previous 12 nights. The room was large ond clean and tidy. The owner was very helpful and kind. But the bed was the worst we had slept in on our holiday. We rolled into the middle all night and had almost no sleep. It was the one thing we didnt love about our nz holiday. Dont know how it got 4 !/2 qualmark stars.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cajp
West Linn, Oregon
Reviewed 30 March 2011

I just completed a three-night stay at this property, and I can honestly say that it "made" my visit to the Otago region perfect in all respects. Over the course of my stay the owners repeatedly went out of their way to make me feel welcome and my stay at their hotel the lynchpin of my stay. I can't emphasize how invested the owners are with their hotel - it's more like you're visiting family than a faceless guest in some big hotel in the business core.

My room was on the main floor and came equipped with everything I could have needed - and more. My king bed was extremely comfortable and the bedding was spotless. A flat panel TV had a good selection of channels. The room even had a small kitchen area with a microwave, mini-fridge, toaster, toaster-oven, hot-water pot, and a set of dishes and tableware.

The hotel is located about six or seven blocks off Hioghway 1 as it comes into the city. The hotel is quiet at night and yet allows easy access to the central city as well as the road that goes out to the Otago Penninsula.

Repeatedly during my stay the owners did a series of little things (like fresh milk for my coffee, and personally delivering laundry) that really enhanced my stay.

I am a very demanding traveler and I often take reviews here on TripAdvisor with a grain of salt. But folks, believe me, the reviews are all accurate and probably understate the charm and overall value of this property. Whether you're traveling on business or on holiday with your family, I highly recommend this property for your stay in Dunedin.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Reviewed 17 March 2011

I must admit that I was a bit skeptical when I read the reviews. It is just a small motel on the edge of town after all. The first thing that started to change my mind was the speed with which they got back to me with an answer to a question. That was reinforced by the friendly reception. They are owner operators which means staying at the 555 is a little like staying at a B&B, but only in the best sense.

The owners know the neighborhood, know where you need to go to get whatever you need including dinner in a variety of cuisines. Breakfast is available on a request basis and is fresh.

The room was a bit small, but immaculate and nothing was in need of attention. The windows were good and we heard no noise to disturb us. So despite the property being full and despite the several people who were sitting about enjoying an early spring night, it was a peaceful and private stay.

The motel is on the southern edge of Dunedin close to the beginning of the Otago Peninsula and easy to reach from the major highway. We would recommend it in a heartbeat. You will be well taken care of.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 March 2011

Richard and Sue Hanning were most helpful in arranging tours and suggesting where to eat and sights to see. The room was exrtemely comfortable and clean. A heated towel rail in the bathroom meant you had warm dry towels and did not need to change them everyday - good for the environment. A large supermarket, liquor store, ATM, coffee shop and bakery are all close by. 5 minutes easy acess to the city by car.
Would recomend and stay again.
Richard (Australia)

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 21 February 2011

Conveniently located for sightseeing by car. Well maintained. Superb mattress and good pillows. Friendly helpful hosts. Fully stocked kitchenette. Lots of storage shelves in the fairly small room. DVD player in the room and lots of DVDs available to borrow. Did not hear our neighbors. Scent-free cleaning products (much appreciated). Very pleasant for a short stay.