“Good Location, Outdated Rooms”

The Sahara Guesthouse & Motel
Ranked #55 of 61 Hotels in Dunedin
Waterloo, Canada
“Good Location, Outdated Rooms”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Sahara Guesthouse is fairly centrally located, and it has plenty of parking. It is about a 15 min walk to Dunedin downtown. We stayed at the main building (the old mansion), on the second floor.
The room was fairly spacious, with high ceilings, which was one of the nice things about it. It has big windows so lots of light. There was a bathroom in the room (one separate room for the toilet, and one separate room with a sink and a tub). There was no shower in the room, those were shared among the other rooms on the floor. The tub in the bathroom didn't have a shower head, so one couldn't shower in the room, only take an actual bath. There was carpet in the bathrooms, something I haven't seen in a very long time. The rest of the room and the hotel was quite old - outdated furniture and carpets.
Despite the outdated and old, the rooms and bathrooms were clean. The mattress was comfy enough and there was plenty of hot water.
There is a small restaurant that serves breakfast in the morning and then a kitchen/TV room. The TV room was a bit messy, the garbage wasn't taken out and it was overflowing, and the dishes for general use were a little questionable.
The service was good, no complaints there.
If I were to come back to Dunedin, I'd probably try to stay at Hogwarts or similar, but this place was sufficient for the price.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Thai first
Brno
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Very welcoming, friendly & smiling owners (staff), great location close to city center and not far from intercity bus station (10-15 minutes walk), free working wifi, comfortable bed, clean bathroom. Anytime again :)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank rbbrno
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The room was a good size, comfortable bed, lovely powerful shower and adequate kitchen facilities. The manager responded promptly and generously when we asked for something to be done. The location was good: about 15 minutes walk from the town centre so we could leave the car safely and walk.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for the new block
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 47helenk
Clyde, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My partner and i have had the privlage of staying at the Sahara,Brian is friendly person and very accomadating to all your needs.The room we stayed at was clean, with all mod cons, comfortable warm just like home,it was also very quite and relaxed atmosphere. The bed was extremly comfortable, bathroom cleaned to a high standard, and kitchen well stocked with all that you would require when away from home, and a heat pump there if you require, as well as sky tv and added extra's are in their book in your room available as well. close to hospital and shops, the staff are very nice and friendly and we always will stay there in the future.highly recommend to all.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Woolgoolga, Australia
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I found The Sahara on Booking.com and thought it looked ok for a last minute overnight stay with my Husband and 2 children. Dunedin was almost booked out and I was happy as long as the accommodation was clean and safe.

The room was not ready when I arrived, but the Manager allowed us to leave our bags in the room before we went to visit the city.

I was floored when I walked in the door - The room was an absolute disgrace - it was dirty, dank and the room absolutely stunk of urine. The beds were scarey and the manchester even worse. The room looked like it hadnt seen a mop or vac in who knows how long and the walls were decorated with mismatched putty and holes. My husband and I thought "just 1 night", so we left and spent all day and night out to avoid returning to the room.

We even stopped at the grocery store to buy room deodoriser before we finally went back. I walked back in the room and told my husband to pack the car and get the kids out while I went and spoke to the Manager.

He was friendly enough and offered me free Wifi to find alternative accommodation (but Dunedin was fully booked). He didnt want to inspect the room, but told me an old couple had just checked out and the housekeeper normally did a good job. Ultimately, I requested a refund as I would not allow my family to stay in that accommodation. We left and drove around the City and managed to find an AMAZING room at The Mecure for only $60 more...The "Executive Suite" no less!

A very happy ending for what was the lowest point of our accommodation in NZ.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JaneMcKelvey80

Travellers are raving about these Dunedin hotels

Ballina, Australia
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Firstly I would like to say that both of the Hoteliers and their household staff were all very nice people. I stayed at Sahara's for a week, with my stay split between the guesthouse and the Motel. I had the misfortune of staying in the only guesthouse room on the ground floor. (room 7) It contained one uncomfortable double bed which was extremely sunken in on one side and another single bed positioned underneath a window, which even when shut let in a cold draught. It also had it's own very dated bathroom, which was clean - aside from the odd stray hair about. The room was very cold on account of a louvre window in the bathroom that would not shut completely. The heater was old and although worked I did not feel safe leaving it on overnight or when I went out as there was no smoke alarm or sprinkler fitted in the room. Also this guest house room was very noisy being positioned right outside reception, underneath the staircase. In hindsight however, this room was probably better than the Motel room I stayed in for the second half of my visit. The Motel room smelled of must and mildew, there was actually a dehumidifier running in the corner when I moved in. The kitchenette looked like it should have been in a museum. The bathroom was truly foul with black mold encrusting all of the grout spaces between the wall tiles. I didn't feel safe breathing in the bathroom. Also this room was very noisy, evidently with no sound proofing. I could hear my neighbours stomping around much of the night. Aside from that though everything worked as intended. It was warm, linen seemed as clean as you would expect anywhere, modern T.V set with plenty of channels. If you have read this far thank you, I know it was a long winded review but seriously for what you pay to stay here, you can buy better elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Trent L
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Unfortunately I had to stay in a twin room, as there were apparently no single rooms available, but I don't know that there was a price difference. The staff are really lovely and happy to offer advice and are easy when it comes to payment on arrival or departure. Could do with new carpet in some of the rooms, and the floors do creak a bit at night, but for a solo traveller, it was everything I would expect for the price I paid. Free wi-fi never goes astray and a great area for an early morning walk. Would recommend if you have been trekking around the countryside and are just looking to stay in a warm bed with aircon/heating and you don't mind sharing a bathroom! Thank you for a lovely introduction to Dunedin!

Room Tip: if possible avoid room 10 as it is directly opposite bathroom and stairs, and quite a loud thoroughf...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo