“Great little place”
Review of Commodore Motel

Commodore Motel
Ranked #43 of 61 Hotels in Dunedin
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Great little hotel with friendly staff that were filling to provide information for the duration of our stay. The hotel was clean with good facilities in a good location. The rates were about average for Dunedin.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Commodore Motel

Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Had 2 rooms for our family at the end of September and both very roomy,clean,and most important great bed and shower. The day was wet and it was nice to come into a warm unit at the end of a busy day. Great stay thanks Rick and the team my birthday was very comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I arrived into Dunedin without pre-booked accommodation and pulled into Commodore Motel and was impressed from my first interaction with the host. The host made me feel like he was grateful for my patronage (this is all too often overlooked by many proprietors) and provided exceptional service thereafter - including a 'gift' to welcome me to his motel.
I stay away from home 3-4 nights a week for business and have seldom come across the quality service encountered on this one-night stay. For the record I have never posted a review before but I feel compelled to recognise the great service I received by this accommodation provider.
The room was spacious, warm (it needed to be due to the cold temperatures outside) and most importantly clean. More importantly they supplied free WIFI and this is something that should be provided by ALL accommodation providers in my opinion - especially if they want to attract the business traveler.
Well done Commodore!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Andy G G
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed here for two nights on a Friday and Saturday night. We arrived late afternoon and were greeted by Shirley who was very friendly and helpful. The outside of the motel looks tired and needs updating but inside our unit was very modern and had been updated. We had a unit close to the main road and were thinking it would be noisy but after midnight was very quiet. The beds are very comfort and shower is great. This motel is very clean and tidy. Would stay here again. Thanks for a great stay.

Room Tip: ask for a room that has been updated.
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My family has literally travelled a few times round the world, except for Africa. So we are somewhat jaded and hence I dislike rating hotels/motels. This place is firmly one of the best we have ever stayed in; its service is comparable to any 5-star hotel in Europe, USA or Asia. Let me list the reasons why you should stay here :
1) Rick and Nicola really went out of their way to make sure that guests were well taken care of. Their warmth and sincerity were very heart-warming.
2) We stayed in a 1-bedroom apartment, roomy enough for the 4 of us; and my son is a big strapping fellow. It was spacious, very clean, newly renovated, extremely well-lit, not gloomy like most motels and it was the only place we stayed that has a DISHWASHER !!!! In fact, it was obvious that much thought has been given to every possible imaginable comfort for the guests. Commodore Dunedin somewhat reminds me of the Seoul Sheraton with its superb amenities. It was definitely the best motel in our 2-week NZ trip :-)
3) Within walking distance of eating places, shops and supermarket.
4) My teenagers like the free DVDs and the wifi.
5) Very quiet, as it is on a side street. No traffic noise.

2  Thank drang2016
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We arrived early evening. The staff were nice and helpful but the rooms were reasonably tired and needed to be updated.It was clean and comfortable and in a good location close to the university. I would probably stay here again.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

What makes the Commodore so good for starters is the service. Shirley went out of her way to firstly give me a room with a spa bath for my sore back and then I needed a table to work from so she gave me the key for the room across the hall that was no being used.

Then there is the free DVD hire and the Free Wi-fi. There is a charge back service so you can eat at the hotel across the road.

The continental breakfast was also great in that it had a full selection from cereal, toast, fruit, juice and condiments all in a nicely presented wooden crate.

Parking is right at the door and only 2 mins drive to town.

Well done Commodore, I will be back!

Room Tip: If you need a spa bath or a desk to work from, ask. They will look after you.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business