“Ridiculous and Shameful!”

Fat Harry's Family Restaurant
Ranked #88 of 333 Restaurants in Dunedin
Cuisines: Bar, New Zealand, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Ridiculous and Shameful!”
Reviewed 9 March 2013

I strongly urge people to think twice about going to Fat Harry's. I NEVER write bad reviews for businesses,usually feeling that the discontinue of my patronage to be enough. However I am compelled to mention the service we received today. We arrived at 5 minutes after 1 (with our reservation for a table) we were ushered around a table approximately 1.25 meters by 90 cm. There were 4 adults and two children. My nearly 4 yr old son had to sit on my lap because there was not enough room,for the extra chair that was needed. ( this is not the first time they did that to us. Once we went with 5 adults and two children and the same experience... it was unbearable. I even asked if it would be possible to put another table together with the one we were at, to be told no, even though there was a table available right next to us.) The size of the tables are nothing short of ridiculous. they are fine for 2-4 people but for 6-7? I am ashamed that they received my patronage again. And can assure you that it will NEVER happen again. We as a family go out every Sunday for a lunch, and with 6 orders of food and drink, that alone should be mentionable. We had to wait well over half an hour to receive our waiter just to take our order. The restaurant was stifling hot, yet no staff member made the effort to open the doors to the outside dining area, so as to encourage fresh air flow. Customers were getting up and opening the doors and waving them, to and fro, to cool off their tables. Although we arrived on time, we were the last people to eat in the restaurant, simply because there wasn't enough wait staff to deal with the rush of people ( it is a graduation week in Dunedin this week, and they should have been prepared). The food was average. The white sauce was watered down and tasteless, the vegetables not seasoned, and the meat quite gristly. This is not a rant directed at the staff of this establishment, they were friendly and tried to do the best they could... but at the management, who obviously in a penny pinching moment, decided to short staff their restaurant. Poorly done! My family and I will never eat at your restaurant again. and as we are quite well connected in town, will not hesitate to share this experience with others who might be prospective patrons as well. A word to the wise, in this time of recession, people are hard put to take their families out to a restaurant every week. The majority of your clientele were very aged. I would smarten up about your restaurant layout and its management because, like an aged majority, a recession wont last forever... and the funny thing is... is that peoples memories are long, and they wont flock back to your restaurant when they have more money... no... they will go where they were treated well, served efficiently, served good quality food, and actually were able to relax and enjoy their dining experience, when times were tough. It's not rocket science is it?

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank M v

Auckland
“Great atmosphere”
Reviewed 11 October 2012

We took our family there and were pleasantly surprised. The food was excellent with big portions and I couldn't fault the service. They were very busy when we arrived and they quickly found us a table. Would definitely recommend Fat Harrys.

Visited September 2012
Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great family dining”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Very friendly, efficient service. Great food, very big portions. You have to book ahead as its a very popular venue . They serve mainly roasts, fish meals. The usual pub meals but beautifully cooked, huge portions. None in our group of twenty three could fit in dessert.

• Visited September 2012
Timaru, NZ
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Reasonable choice for families”
Reviewed 22 September 2012

This restaurant is a pub dining room. The prices are above what I'd call average for pub food but the meals are huge so the price is probably justified. The service & ambience were certainly not fine dining but the wait staff were reasonably attentive and the meals were very quick in coming which was great with two hungry tired kids. We all enjoyed our meals. There is a kids playroom which could use some updating but is a good facility for kids. There were some video game stations there but our kids are a bit young so I didn't check out if they worked or not. Overall a reasonable choice for a family if you want something to keep the kids occupied while you enjoy your meal.

Alofi
“A lunch with a view.”
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Fat Harry's is usually one of the places I return to for a meal while in Dunedin. A great view out over the city of Dunedin looking out to the beach areas of St Clair. The restaurant is spacious and I have always found the staff friendly courteous and efficient. A wide range of pub food available at reasonable prices. Somewhere different to try the next time you come to Dunedin.

• Visited April 2012