“Simply Scrumptious!”

No.7 Balmac
Ranked #13 of 359 Restaurants in Dunedin
Price range: US$9 - US$28
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Dunedin's best kept secret eatery!
Reviewed 21 January 2013

My partner and I went for dinner here and simply loved it! We started with an appetizer and I had the beef cheek and my parnter had the steak, and we had a side of onion rings too. We loved the food, loved the atmosphere, and the waitstaff were extremely friendly. The only downer of the night - we didn't have enough room in our full and happy bellies for one of the delicious looking desserts!

1  Thank CanadianInNZ

Reviewed 8 January 2013

We have eaten here on several occasions, when wanting something "a little special" - such as celebrating an engagement, a birthday, or even Christmas.
Great menu - of good quality NZ food - steak, lamb, chicken, fish or pork - with interesting sauces, well chosen sides and a fine selection of wines.
A delightful place to eat, with a lovely atmosphere, helpful waiters - and not too expensive!

Reviewed 8 January 2013

We have had lunch and dinner here a few times, and the quality of the food and the service is amazing.
I like that the vege comes from the garden out the back and that everything is so fresh. The staff know all the wines on the menu and offer recommendations with knowledge and confidence.

Reviewed 3 January 2013

We went there for New Year's eve dinner. It was very busy and obvious that the restaurant was going to be booked out. Our food arrived in a timely manner with no delays and the service was good. There was a minor mishap with our table numbers when the food came out. However the staff sorted it out quickly and was very professional.

The food were really excellent, I really enjoyed my duck confit and my girlfriend really loved her lamb dish as well. I had the flourless chocalate pudding for dessert and the girlfriend had the Tiramisu, both were really good. Great selections of wines, both by the glass and the bottle.

We certainly would be back agian.

Reviewed 2 January 2013 via mobile

Service was really slow. I ordered the burger which was not tasty. Meat party was bland and there was too much bun. Chips were ok. On the plus side - long black coffee was good. We sat in the courtyard. Furniture is a bit tired and the owners need to open their eyes and remedy things like this.