“Not romantic, not what we expected”

Scotia Restaurant & Whisky Bar
Ranked #54 of 374 Restaurants in Dunedin
Price range: US$9 - US$28
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Scotia Restaurant provides a premium dining experience, Our cuisine is Traditional Scottish meets New Zealand Fusion, Come in and enjoy some true southern hospitality & Peruse our single Malt collection
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My husband and I booked a weekend in Dunedin and dinner at Scotia for our 15th wedding anniversary. I booked via email, sending a chatty message saying how we'd lived in Scotland and were looking forward to experiencing a bit of Scotland again and that we were really excited about coming. The reply was "Thank you for your booking. Please supply your cell phone number." Not friendly and not what I was expecting. We were seated very close to a loud group of 6 and the table was squashed up against the window. Not very romantic. In addition, it was a thoroughfare for the waiter and waitress on their way to the kitchen so I noticed how many times they flew by, as they brushed by me. The food was OK; mine was over salty and when I commented on this the waitress said that it was probably the 'jus' that the cabbage/potato was in. We went upstairs to the bar afterwards to have a wee dram of whisky and again, tried to converse with the waiter saying how we'd visited Edradour in Perthshire and it was the smallest distillery in Scotland. No reply. Just "Do you want water with it?" "OF COURSE NOT!!"

A really disappointing experience for us; we spent $180 and that's a real treat evening out. We had been looking forward to it so much. We won't be going back.

1  Thank Emma T

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Meals were very good - but not value for money.
Overrated
Bottle of Pinot was $78
Will not go back there.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Great location. Wondeful service. Top quality food. Fantastic atmosphere. Scotia provides everything you need for a great meal and gives you value for your money. Scotia is my favourite restaurant in Dunedin, and we go there regularly.

Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went here to celebrate our anniversary. You will not be disappointed. We had a fantastic meal, great atmosphere, excellent wait staff and food to match. Recommended.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

My most recent visit was to Scotia's Doon Bar, upstairs from the restaurant, for drinks. The whiskey selection is extensive and excellent, the atmosphere is fantastic. I have also eaten at the restaurant a number of times, which is always fantastic. My favourite restaurant in Dunedin.