“Relaxed and professional”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I'm a little bemused at reading some of the other reviews, Salt put out great food and the staff appeared relaxed but professional. I ended up going there twice whilst in Dunedin and struck great hospitality both times

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Was recently on holiday in Dunedin and found Salt online. Looked nice, so we tried it out for drinks and nibbles after a day of driving around the Otago Peninsula. We were so pleased with the atmosphere, service and food that we went back the next day for dinner. I highly recommend the Karaage Chicken starter which was DELICIOUS and we had both times we were there! Very surprised by the other reviews that the service was unfriendly because we had PERFECT service (and I am an American and would criticize if the service was sub-par.) Matthew was our bartender and waiter and we were so pleased by the level of professional service we received that I felt like I was back in the States where staff work for tips. I highly recommend everything that this bar & restaurant has to offer.

1  Thank Steph M
Reviewed 3 October 2013

And I don't mean a milk-shake either. Staff were disinterested (apart from in their own conversation that is) and the overall impression was that a bit of a wipe-up would be a good thing. We dealt however with the two flies ourselves and pressed on regardless like brave pioneers. The food came quickly - when she finally took the orders and was quite good. The squid actually very good.Otherwise the staff were just going through the motions, and the business will soon disintegrate if they don't get the act together.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

I recently took a day trip to St Claire and upon looking at several other venue’s decided upon trying Salt. The Décor inside had a rustic seafaring persuasion without trying to be pretentious. The atmosphere was very relaxed and comfortable. Staff were friendly, though nothing beyond a “hello, what can I do for you?”, service was efficient with no long waits (the restaurant was ¾ full at the time) and all my needs accommodated for. The coffee was of a good standard and my meal was very enjoyable, delicious even. I would definitely return again to try other items on the menu and enjoy the laid-back atmosphere, I suppose the only thing that could have improved my experience at Salt would have been a little more cheeriness from staff. I would recommend to others.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

We have only been to Salt twice for coffee and muffins. Both times the coffee has been very nice and the muffins small but tasty. It certainly is a nice spot to sit outside on a sunny day. No ocean view at Salt, but plenty of sun and the sound of the surf! What really let this place down was the staff. We have had a mixture, one lovely lady brought out our coffees, but the rest we have delt have just been plain rude. :(