Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin
  • Restaurant
Amross Motel(Dunedin)(Great Value!)
US$114
US$106
97 Motel Moray(Dunedin)(Great Value!)
US$102
US$135
US$119
  • Restaurant
Best Western Dunedin(Dunedin)(Great Value!)
US$98
US$95
US$149
US$144
Orbitz.com
Motel on York(Dunedin)(Great Value!)
US$104
Kiwis Nest(Dunedin)(Great Value!)
US$52
US$49
Apartments at St Clair(Dunedin)(Great Value!)
US$108
Priceline
All reviewsroom was cleanwould stay againrestaurant staffbit datedsteep hillwalking distancehotel is locatedbuffet breakfastan upgradehotel roomthird floorrestaurants and barspleasant staystayed one nightthree nightscentre of towngreat place to stay
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Staying here currently, nice friendly staff, room good, clean and tidy, big TV which is great, but limited SKY channels, disappointed as couldnt watch game on Sky Sports 2 (even cheap motel I was in day prior had sports 1 and 2) Some things a little off, lead comes out of phone each time you use it, shower very low pressure, lack of main light in room so not very bright for reading, internet lead not in a practical place, not near table at all, but no majors. Would stay here again, its nice and central. Restaurant staff really nice but one hiccup, ordered dinner and stated no potatoes but kumara, dinner had potatoes (not kumara) and very fatty beef so couldnt really eat it, did tell them reason I didnt eat it (politely) as they are actually really nice. I ordered a toastie instead as I left (still hungry) and was still charged for it, might of been nice given dinner was their mistake if this had been free. Was only $9 and didnt like to say as they are all very courteous and lovely to deal with.

Room Tip: 5th floor king room is good
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Ange J
Reviewed 12 July 2013

We stayed at Dunedin only for one night on the way from Christchurch to Queenstown.
Room is comfortable and roomy. It's hotel style: having small fridge but not microwave or kitchen. Amenties are quite ok.
The most impressive is the view at the balcony. I am the first timer to NZ and Dunedin, but what I got at my balcony is really spectacular. Not sure other hotels got the same view, but to me it's already make 'good value' at this place.
Only downside is that I am driving motorhome and the parking space is quite limited and in deep slope. But even for me as first timer in driving motorhome, I could still manage to park in on-site.
Location wise, it's 100-200 meters walk to octagon. So, it's easy to go to most attraction, finding restaurants, and supermarket (Day 'n Nights has 2 branches around Octagon).

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Don't let the exterior put you off - it almost did me. This is a good stay, at reasonable rates. The room was clean and comfortable. We had a great sleep, beds and pillows really comfortable, clean and snug. Room temperature just right and my daughter loved the deck and view with all the lights in the city at night. The breakfast was pretty standard fare overall but the croissants were delicious and a huge hit with the six year old.
Parking was great, full, but we always seemed to get a park and there was plenty on street available if we needed it, we did stay on a Saturday night.
It's a great spot just up from the Octagon, perfectly situated for walking round town, dinner and a movie.
Would definitely stay again - next time with the whole family maybe.

Room Tip: They all seemed to have a view, which would be a huge bonus of this hotel. We did have a bit of late night noise - recommend requesting a higher up floor if you are a bit sensitive to that. We were on level 1.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We often stay at the Kingsgate for trips to Dunedin. The hotel is a bit dated but it is great value for money (we paid $84 for the room). The rooms are clean, comfortable and a good size, twins have 2 double beds (4"6') and there is no extra charge for children (assuming you use the beds available). The location is great for shopping and is close to some good restaurants. The staff are friendly and helpful and if you want to use the local swimming pool you can get a free pass. The buffet breakfast is average and not great value but on the plus side children eat for free, alternatively there are good cafes very close by. Free parking is available but the car park does get full early so be prepared to park on the street which is free until 9am.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Excellent location. 5 min walking distance to the Octagon and shopping area. Don't need to take a bus. Very friendly staff and you feel very welcome there. The housekeeping lady was very polite too ie 22 June am.

I accidentally left my daughter's beanie overnight, and it was still there just outside the lobby when I was about to leave the hotel the next morning. It is very safe when there is only one entrance for all guests.

A value for money hotel (ie. only $89 for a family room) for the four of us.The overall pleasant ambience at Kingsgate made our stay in Dunedin, a very nice and memorable one.

Thank you.

ps. pool and kids activities (not applicable since we never used them and it was during winter).

Room Tip: My room was closer to the road side and since it was on Fri and Sat, we could hear some cars zooming along the street at night. Choose a room closer to the opposite side from Smith Street if you are bringing young/small children. Nonetheless, the overall pleasant ambience at Kingsgate made our stay in Dunedin, a very nice and memorable one.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family