“It comes down to individual taste”

Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin
Ranked #38 of 57 Hotels in Dunedin
“It comes down to individual taste”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

A great surprise awaits beyond.
I recently stayed here for 4 + 1 extra night (Due to flight delay).
On arrival in the evening I thought how old and dated it looked and felt the pains of disapointment.
HOWEVER, I was met by very polite and efficient reception staff. Check in was extremely quick. To my surprise I was upgraded to a suite, consisting of fully appointed kitchen, dining/lounge area with a door leading thru to a spacious bedroom withking size bed. The bathroom was well appointed with spa bath.
Balconies open to the south and west I think.
The decor may not be to everyones taste (colonial) but you cant please everybody. The apartment was well appointed with flat screen TVs in the lounge and bedroom with DVD players and Stereo that all worked without issue.
Its location is within walking distance to the CBD and eateries and the Dunedin conference centre is across the street.
The hotel I found immaculate, quiet and the bed was so comfortable. (I missed a brecky meeting because I did not want to get out).
My tarriff included full buffet breakfast, which is lost on me being a coffee and toast kinda person.
On a negative the Internet is a little pricey but you can access 20 minutes free every 24 hours in the lobby.
Finally, when my flight was cancelled I jumped back on the shuttle and came straight back to the Kingsgate. Although I had to settle for a standard room, which was fine.
I would stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Grab room 402 if you can. Dont muck about with the ADSL connection, just use the WIFI
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MarcEdwards1966
Andrew708, General Manager at Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin, responded to this review, 11 November 2014
Thank-you for your comments regarding your stay with us at the Kingsgate hotel Dunedin. We are pleased you enjoyed room 402 during your stay as well as your stay with us in one of our recently refurbished standard rooms. We hope on your next visit to Duendin you will choose to once again stay with us at the Kingsgate hotel in Dunedin.
Andrew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Christchurch
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed here on the fifth floor of the hotel (it only has five floors), with my parents in one room and brother in another. It's a good location, just behind the Octagon, though the parking was full when we arrived about 1pm and there is a short steep incline to the hotel, if you are on foot. From the outside it looks old but inside the three rooms we had were very spacious and modern, it def seemed like they had been recently refurbished. Great views of the city, though was woken up about 5am from howling wind (there was a major storm that weekend). Would stay again. There is a hotel restaurant but we were heading out so don't know what room service etc was like. Though my mother did ask for champagne glasses to be sent to one of our rooms and they arrived as requested. I've said that this hotel is not good for hotel access simply for the reason that no hotel in Dunedin is good for hotel access as the airport is so far away from the city! But this hotel is central and easy to access the road out of Dunedin if you're heading to the airport.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Andrew W, General Manager at Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin, responded to this review, 19 October 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Kingsgate hotel Dunedin. I am pleased you like the views from the room as all our rooms are North facing and have views over the city.We look forward to welcoming you back the Kingsgate hotel on your next visit to Dunedin.
Dunedin, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

I loved the first time I stayed at the kingsgate!! I was disappointed I didn't get the room I had requested because of miss communication ... I probably won't go back again - not that it's bad to stay there I enjoyed it just because I would rather try somewhere else.. And I was guttered about the room mix up! I want to know where they buy their mink blankets from! Room was okay wall paper wasn't on properly up the top of the roof and it had one small light by the door and then only lamps and was pretty small. Service was nice though. Ild recommend to stay here if you are after a friendly hotel close to town.

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry about the mix up regarding your room allocation and I will ensure to make a note in your profile to make sure this does not happen again. Regards Andrew GM
Auckland, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

If you have another option, I would choose it. We found the reception casual and the rooms noisy, and there was no free wifi. The walls are made of paper; you can hear the people in the next room having a conversation. (In German unfortunately - even the eavesdropping wasn't worth it...)
We spent three weeks travelling around the South Island and this was probably the worst value.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew W, General Manager at Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin. Your feedback is important to us so that we can continue to evaluate our services and facility. I can assure that all feedback whether good or poor is addressed and actioned. Thank you once again for taking time to comment on your stay.

Andrew GM

Travellers are raving about these Dunedin hotels

Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Have stayed here a few times in the past but but now I don't think I will again as if you want to sleep at night this is not the place as all night all you could hear is the water pipes and toilets flushing along with heavy doors banging shut and people talking in the next door room. The only good thing about this hotel is the location. Best thing about room was a huge TV.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us in Dunedin. I am sorry to hear that on this occasion you had a poor nights sleep especially after staying with us on several occasions and having enjoyed the hotel and location. We do hope that on you next trip to Dunedin you will still stay with us at the Kingsgate Hotel and enjoy the location, hospitality and views that the hotel has to offer.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

My stay was tainted by the worst hotel housekeeping I have ever experienced - and of all the countries I have visited to have this happen in my own country was doubly awful. I apologise in advance of what you are about the read next......... but when I went to get into bed and threw back the bedcovers, the underneath of the the bedspread was stained with dried body fluids. This was pretty sickening. When I phoned the duty manager, he did not even say sorry once. He just asked was it the sheets or the cover that need replacing and said he'd send someone up to change it. The lady who came up with a clean bedspread was very lovely, apologised and said it was embarrassing for the hotel. She implied that the housekeeping was a problem (which didn't make me feel any better about the hotels cleanliness). One of the glasses in the bathroom still had toothpaste smears in from the previous occupant and the textured wall above the window has cobwebs.
The rest of the hotel is what one would expect for a 3 star place, nothing great nothing bad, but honestly I was so horrified by the experience above (and the lack of apology from the duty manager) on my first night I didn't pay too much attention. (Other than remembering that there is no hair dryer in the room).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Jess8888_12
Andrew W, General Manager at Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Kingsgate hotel Dunedin. It disappoints me to read about your experience with us and I can assurs you that I have addressed this with our Housekeeping Team. Normally we have nothing but praise for the cleanliness of our rooms and our housekeeing and front office team.We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Dunedin

Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

This hotel has a rather dated feel, though it has been redecorated and isn't scruffy in any way. It's a Kingsgate now but has been through different hands over the years.

Upside: the rooms are quite large, and the building is well constructed and is quiet. The location simply can't be beaten; near to the Octagon (city centre) but in a quiet location with views over the city. Service was universally friendly and efficient. Good TV and channel selection. Iron and ironing board. Rooms well serviced.

Drawbacks: the beds seem to have been in place for several decades and are very soft with hollows in the mattresses. No free wifi - get with the 21st century, folks. A niggardly high-priced offering like you have is really off-putting. The restaurant menu is rather retro and dated, but the food was quite OK.

In my experience there hotels in Dunedin tend to be dated. There are worse hotels than this, and the location and service are both very good.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank apteryx055
Andrew W, General Manager at Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Kingsgate hotel in Dunedin. We are pleased that you found the location of the hotel ideal for your needs and also enjoyed hotel spacious rooms. We do offer 20 minutes free WiFi for all our guests in certain areas of the hotel and are currently reviewing how better we can provide WiFi services to our guest with our external provider.The hotel has just completed an external repaint of the building and also recently added new sinage to enhance the image upon arrival to the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Kingsgate hotel on your next trip South to Dunedin