“Basic Accommodation”

Ranked #40 of 61 Hotels in Dunedin
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Basic Accommodation”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Very basic accommodation, which I would consider to be budget except for the price which was above what you would expect to pay. Location is good, just a couple of minutes walk from the Octagon, for restaurants and bars.

Very thin walls in rooms, I was woken by someone snoring next door. Also we had a fire alarm activation at 11.15 one night which required to whole hotel to be emptied. Turned out to be a false alarm (although we were not told anything), and good thing it was false, as no roll call or anything was conducted.

Room Tip: Find an alternative hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Andrew708, General Manager at Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin, responded to this review, 11 November 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us during your recent visit to Dunedin. I am sorry to hear you were disturbed by the False alarm.We have reviewed our operational procedures since your comments and just reminded the duty manager about the importance of communication to guests during these situations
We hope you choose to stay with us at the Kingsgate hotel in Dunedin on your next visit to Dunedin

Rgards
Andrew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I've stayed here occasionally since 2009. Service is great. Dining Room food very average - service excellent. Now there is no mini bar. Saved me a fortune but when I arrive I have always enjoyed a wine and some chips / peanuts after usually a long drive. One thing that has always annoyed me is the lack of plugs around to plug in the laptop or recharge the mobile - both at once - near me. Reception is great. And there's never a problem if you need a little more time before you check out. I like their balconys and view over the city. The carpark gives me vertigo. Guess I've been spoilt at the Millenium in Queenstown.

Room Tip: Go for a suite - always nice.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us at the Kingsgate hotel in Dunedin and also for your continued patronage to the hotel.I look forward to meeting with you on your next trip to Dunedin so I can personally ensure that we have your room options and prefences in the system for each visit. Once again thank you for choosing to stay at the Kingsgate hotel Dunedin.
Kiwi in London
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We were 3 friends staying only 1 night being in town for the rugby. Checkin was easy and the room was quite nice albeit snug with 2 beds and a roll away. Good balcony. Minor criticism was despite hanging a sign to request the morning paper, none was delivered. One major criticism is the lack of free Wifi which most motels in Dunedin seemed to offer however the Kingsgate only has it for 20 mins free in their rather small lobby. Dropping the ball a little bit there team. For people who plan on walking around the beautiful city, if you are not so strong in the leg department, this may not be the hotel for you as it is situated up a steep hill. However, overall it is a good hotel and did what we needed.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank-you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Kingsgate hotel Dunedin. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and hopefully you enjoyed the rugby in our fantastic new stadium. Since reading your comments we have addressed some of the WiFi coments and now allow more free time access to Wifi at the hotel as well as competitively priced packages. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Kingsgate hotel on your next visit to Dunedin.
Reviewed 11 June 2014

A great surprise awaits beyond.
I recently stayed here for 4 + 1 extra night (Due to flight delay).
On arrival in the evening I thought how old and dated it looked and felt the pains of disapointment.
HOWEVER, I was met by very polite and efficient reception staff. Check in was extremely quick. To my surprise I was upgraded to a suite, consisting of fully appointed kitchen, dining/lounge area with a door leading thru to a spacious bedroom withking size bed. The bathroom was well appointed with spa bath.
Balconies open to the south and west I think.
The decor may not be to everyones taste (colonial) but you cant please everybody. The apartment was well appointed with flat screen TVs in the lounge and bedroom with DVD players and Stereo that all worked without issue.
Its location is within walking distance to the CBD and eateries and the Dunedin conference centre is across the street.
The hotel I found immaculate, quiet and the bed was so comfortable. (I missed a brecky meeting because I did not want to get out).
My tarriff included full buffet breakfast, which is lost on me being a coffee and toast kinda person.
On a negative the Internet is a little pricey but you can access 20 minutes free every 24 hours in the lobby.
Finally, when my flight was cancelled I jumped back on the shuttle and came straight back to the Kingsgate. Although I had to settle for a standard room, which was fine.
I would stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Grab room 402 if you can. Dont muck about with the ADSL connection, just use the WIFI
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MarcEdwards1966
Thank-you for your comments regarding your stay with us at the Kingsgate hotel Dunedin. We are pleased you enjoyed room 402 during your stay as well as your stay with us in one of our recently refurbished standard rooms. We hope on your next visit to Duendin you will choose to once again stay with us at the Kingsgate hotel in Dunedin.
Christchurch
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed here on the fifth floor of the hotel (it only has five floors), with my parents in one room and brother in another. It's a good location, just behind the Octagon, though the parking was full when we arrived about 1pm and there is a short steep incline to the hotel, if you are on foot. From the outside it looks old but inside the three rooms we had were very spacious and modern, it def seemed like they had been recently refurbished. Great views of the city, though was woken up about 5am from howling wind (there was a major storm that weekend). Would stay again. There is a hotel restaurant but we were heading out so don't know what room service etc was like. Though my mother did ask for champagne glasses to be sent to one of our rooms and they arrived as requested. I've said that this hotel is not good for hotel access simply for the reason that no hotel in Dunedin is good for hotel access as the airport is so far away from the city! But this hotel is central and easy to access the road out of Dunedin if you're heading to the airport.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Andrew W, General Manager at Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin, responded to this review, 19 October 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Kingsgate hotel Dunedin. I am pleased you like the views from the room as all our rooms are North facing and have views over the city.We look forward to welcoming you back the Kingsgate hotel on your next visit to Dunedin.
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

I loved the first time I stayed at the kingsgate!! I was disappointed I didn't get the room I had requested because of miss communication ... I probably won't go back again - not that it's bad to stay there I enjoyed it just because I would rather try somewhere else.. And I was guttered about the room mix up! I want to know where they buy their mink blankets from! Room was okay wall paper wasn't on properly up the top of the roof and it had one small light by the door and then only lamps and was pretty small. Service was nice though. Ild recommend to stay here if you are after a friendly hotel close to town.

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry about the mix up regarding your room allocation and I will ensure to make a note in your profile to make sure this does not happen again. Regards Andrew GM
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 May 2014

If you have another option, I would choose it. We found the reception casual and the rooms noisy, and there was no free wifi. The walls are made of paper; you can hear the people in the next room having a conversation. (In German unfortunately - even the eavesdropping wasn't worth it...)
We spent three weeks travelling around the South Island and this was probably the worst value.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew W, General Manager at Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin. Your feedback is important to us so that we can continue to evaluate our services and facility. I can assure that all feedback whether good or poor is addressed and actioned. Thank you once again for taking time to comment on your stay.

Andrew GM

Travellers are raving about these Dunedin hotels