“Convenient centrally situated city centre hotel.”

Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin
Ranked #37 of 57 Hotels in Dunedin
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Convenient centrally situated city centre hotel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2010

Convenient centrally situated city centre hotel. Friendly staff in restaurant and on reception.

Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JRMEJM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2010

Really enjoyed our stay and the $99 bed and breakfast deal was very good value. Staff were friendly and helpful. My daughter is still talking about the lovely lady at breakfast who brought her a hot chocolate with a marshmellow. When my daughter wasnt looking where she was going and walked into the door the staff rushed over to check she was OK.
On arrival the portacot for my toddler was already set up.
Was a little concerned about car parking as I heard there wasnt a lot but didnt have any trouble and there was actually more than I thought.
All in all great trip and great value thanks.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Christchurch
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2010

Stayed one night and felt it was excellent value - $99 for two with full breakfast included. Good beds and clean pillows. Very clean modern bathroom - fabulous bath to lie in with bubbles and book after walking around the town for a few hours. Yes the hotel is old but the bathrooms are renovated, beds are good and if you are not too fussy (like Britten_Crazy) you will not be disappointed. Staff were OK - the 'bitsy' reception not a positive experience for both staff and customer. Breakfast was a general buffet but good - lasted us until afternoon tea. For $99 I am not complaining at all.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Oamaru Nz
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2010

We have stayed here several times and enjoy the view over Dunedin from the sunny rooms. Hotel is a little dated, however we were not paying the price of a top hotel and the room was clean and beds comfy. Parking is limited but free if you can get a park, compared to some hotels which charge $12.00 per day for valet parking. Breakfast was ample with a good selection of food and the dining room has a complete wall with a wood carving of the inside of Larnach Castle as a point of interest. Staff were friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay here again as the proximity to the centre of Dunedin is very convenient. Yes the hotel is up a hill, but the views of Dunedin would not be so great if it was on the flat !! 3 of us were over 60 we were able to easily walk up the hill. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
Christchurch, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2010

I rang their 09 number to make the reservation (I'm in Chch), as I could not locate an 0800 number. I kid you not, the phone rang and I had recorded messages playing for 4.5 mins (I have a timer on my telephone so I'm not exagerating). I gave up and rang the hotel directly. I had read the reviews here but foolishly went ahead with the booking. It was a last minute thing to go down there and their rates were good ($90/night). I asked about the limited parking as it was a concern. I thankfully managed to get a park but would've preferred not to have to worry about the possibility of not getting a park on site. I have a hyphenated surname but only used one surname (if that makes sense) to book the room. My credit card has my whole name though, so I was slightly worried when they couldn't find my reservation. It turns out they had booked it under my whole name, not the name I had asked for it to be booked under. The room had practically no sound proofing and the bed was well worn. My partner and I had been given a voucher for a meal that covered certain restaurants. I failed to look up which ones before leaving home so asked the girl at the front desk if their in-house restaurant took those vouchers. I had explained not looking up the details before leaving home. She could've a) told me about the computer with internet access that guests could use or b) quickly done a search herself, but no, no help what so ever. There was no mention of a porter to carry our bags to and from the car. The house keeping wasn't the best. On the 2nd day the bed hadn't been made all that well and they had missed a small (but obvious) piece of paper on the floor that should've been vacuumed up. The room lighting was atrocious, there was no main lights, just lamps which were absolutely useless! The decor was dated. The bathroom was modern but I found the mirror misted up quite quickly and took forever to clear (yes I'm fussy and I notice everything). I only dined in the in-house restaurant once, for breakfast. The staff were very acomodating of my requests (I'm a fussy eater and didn't like what they were serving up with their pancakes) but they failed to bring some milk over with my cup of tea (we ended up having to ask for it). Right I think my vent is over.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank britten_crazy

Travellers are raving about these Dunedin hotels

Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2010

Well located a few blocks from the Octagon in City Center. Carpet is worn, but rooms are satisfactory. Rooms have wired internet which is not conveniently placed.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
surrey, england
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2009

Good location but up on a steep hill so probably not the best for the elderly. Room was pretty small and defiantly avoid the restaurant. Ordered deep fried Camembert for starter and it came out frozen! Had a mixed grill for main course and it consisted of half a chicken breast and half a piece of steak, few chips and half a plate of coleslaw. The lamb was missing and when we asked about it the staff apologised and said the chef must of been in a hurry. For $27 for the mixed grill I expected some meat! We eventually got half a chop each and another portion of chips and dessert was on the house. Staff were apologetic and friendly about the situation.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family