“Cute; with written history”

Leviathan Heritage Hotel
Ranked #57 of 61 Hotels in Dunedin
Queensland
“Cute; with written history”
Reviewed 25 September 2009

Recently, my High School, Kirwan High, went on a music tour around New Zealand and stayed at the Leviathan hotel over night. I found the place interesting and full of history. It was not the most flash hotel, but it had character and a sense of humbleness and antiqueness. Everything was somewhat beautiful from the furniture to the art works and I think people should not base accommodation with materialistic views. You do not need hi-tech computers with the internet, large televisions and so on in order to be comfortable. I would definitely consider staying here once more and I recommend it to anyone travelling to Dunedin, New Zealand. It was clean, tidy and restored.
You may think that I am young I have no experience in accommodation; but in fact I’ve been to varies places in France, including Paris, Rome and Hong Kong. And of course around my home country Australia.

• Stayed September 2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Southland
Reviewed 6 April 2009

If your stuck for accommodation then this place will do. Yes it is dark, dank and very dated but hey, if your just looking for somewhere to rest your head for a night then it will do. The rooms themselves were tidy although very small.

I've been back to Dunedin many times but have never stayed here again, but in a pinch it's more comfortable than the back seat of your car!

• Stayed January 2006, travelled on business
london
Reviewed 17 December 2008

The place was recommended in our travel guide but I am still wondering how on eart hcould that have happened.
The place was absolutely disgusting but it was late and we couldnt find much in the city in summer, so we stayed.
Terrible mistake. I couldnt have got away from it quicker the following morning...!
The room was small and very worn out, the bed was not even and the bathroom dirty.
The fact that at reception we were rushed into checking in should have confirmed what the first impression told us...
Would specially mention to any friends not to go there.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Dunedin hotels

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 July 2008

Dispite looking like an old folks home and having some really random furniture and being a total rabbit warren, this place was actually pretty good - old but good! Room was clean and bathroom was nice. Really central to town, railway station etc Buffet Breakfast was yum

Stayed July 2008
New Zealand
Reviewed 1 March 2006

A small group of us stayed one night here before flying out of Dunedin. Four of us were in the backpacker dormitory and one in a hotel room. Quite frankly it is the most disgusting place I have ever stayed, and I have travelled most of the world. Both the dormitory and the hotel room smelled so bad, and the bathroom in the hotel room was tiny and not well cleaned. The dormitory facilities consisted of 3 toilets and 2 showers, which the bottoms of the showers had rotted out with filth - the toilets were no better. The toilets and showers were unisex and a young girl was trying to shower, while guys got in and out - and she added there were no sanitary disposal facilities for ladies. They had about 5 dormitory rooms - say 20 to 30 pax total using these. There was no other accommodation available for 5 of us that night and I could not wait to get a taxi to the airport next morning and get out of the property!!

Stayed February 2006
3 Thank Bernz
London
Reviewed 10 May 2005

We went to this hotel in Dunedin because it was recommended in our travel guide. However, we should have trusted our instincts when we saw the location (on a very busy road, and with a carpark filled with huge juggernauts), and how tatty the reception area looked. Although it appeared they had been doing some decorating in the corridor outside our room, when we opened the door and looked in were were horrified. It was tiny, extremely worn and old fashioned, with a bed that had seen better days decades ago, and certainly not one I would have been prepared to get in! The decor was very old and nothing matched, and the bathroom was just as bad. Given the high standard of accommodation elsewhere in New Zealand, we were shocked at the standard in this hotel (although I understand that some of the larger suites are better). We checked out immediately, and found an excellent motel for only a few dollars more.

• Stayed May 2005
6 Thank hulc
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 September 2004

Though it's cheap (NZ$60/ ensuite triple), but it smells. Pretty generous are they, my double suite booking ends with an ensuite family room (1 queen sized bed & 1 single bed). The room comes with a TV, mini fridge, phone, shower, everything a standard hotel offers. However things are pretty worn out, and no view at all (cos you will not dare to touch the dusty curtain). I wonder if they have ever cleaned the carpet and the smell haunted the hotel - from the reception, it leads to the lift, corridor, & the room. Staff are quite helpful & most guests are pretty old.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member