“Strange gaps”

Ranked #25 of 61 Hotels in Dunedin
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Strange gaps”
Reviewed 18 November 2012

When I arrived I was checked in to a room which was slightly lower standard than I booked as apparently it fitted my criteria better, ie "no connecting door". Apparently every one of the superior rooms has a connecting door to the next room. However the room I was allocated was very good and facing the garden which is the way to face if you stay here. Do not face the road! The room itself was big enough and clean , the bathroom was pleasant and functional. The lobby area is nice and bright and the gardens are beautiful. The restaurant is the weak point, it does nor serve lunch and closes at 9pm in the evening, very parochial I thought. I ate in there one night and paid too much for too little in return. however the express breakfast is bearable in price using my advantage plus card, less bearable if paying the full price.
The staff in the restaurant were a mix of pleasant and surly. Reception staff and maids were all very charming. The location of the hotel is a little out of the town but not too far to walk, I suppose a beach-ball guest would complain at the distance. The hotel is opposite the Botanic Gardens which are marvellous and also near (about 15 mins walk) to the Otago Museum.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
MercureLeisureLodge, Reservations at Mercure Dunedin Leisure Lodge, responded to this review, 2 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Dunedin Leisure Lodge. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Indonesian first
Wellington Nz
Reviewed 6 November 2012

The hotel is slightly out of the centre but opposite the Botanic Gardens - it's quiet, peaceful and restful. The rooms were large and pleasant . overlooking the (hotel) garden which itself is nicely done. The staff were helpful and pleasant, breakfast, a tad expensive, but good with plenty of choice and helpful staff. And for a price cheaper than many B&Bs it was excellent value.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Chris D
MercureLeisureLodge, Manager at Mercure Dunedin Leisure Lodge, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Thak you Waikanae We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Dunedin Leisure Lodge. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 November 2012

What a lovely place to stay. We did have the executive suit tho!! We arrived and thought the place looked dated from the outside but were very much surprised when we went inside. We were greeted and warmly welcomed by Gemma. We went to our room and could not fault it, it was very roomy and comfortable. The bathroom with spa bath was an added bonus. We had one meal at the restaurant and it was very enjoyable, we were looking forward to breakfast but slept in and did not make the 10am closing. I would stay here again with no hesitation!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Dunedin Leisure Lodge. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 13 October 2012

Let me make it simple:

Cons:

no in-room wifi: this is the only hotel during my NZ trip without in room wifi. Even Ibis in another city got the wifi. I have paid for the lobby wifi instead, but the connection is not stable and I cannot even make a skype call (in which even other hotels that I have stayed can).

Starving: The restaurant closed at 9pm. So after our wildlife tour (9.20pm), we can only had our room service as dinner. Which is fine, IF I can at least having some kind of main course or stuff. But no. All we can have were: mac and cheese, lasagne, or panini (no joke. I can only choose from 5/6 items). And the portion was not even enough for an adult. We need to order double instead.

noisy: some of the rooms are facing the road so it's kinda noisy, I have switched to the garden room.

no air-con: No air con is fine, but no air con AND facing the road? That's the problem.

Pros:

The staff is nice and friendly, and I can feel their passion in their job.

Bathroom: bathroom is clean.

Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
MercureLeisureLodge, Manager at Mercure Dunedin Leisure Lodge, responded to this review, 20 October 2012

Tauranga
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We enjoyed our stay, comfortable and adequate for our needs. The staff were friendly and helpful and the position of the hotel is ideally situated with plenty of car parking and far enough from traffic to be quiet at night. Pleasant garden surrounds.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one
Auckland
Reviewed 23 September 2012

A sterile business hotel. Well away from main centre. Restaurant not open for lunch - only limited room service menu. Dinner was OK in restaurant. A member of staff was kind enough to open the bar late afternoon so we could get a drink. Staff friendly. More a motor lodge then a leisure lodge.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business