Scenic Hotel Southern Cross
Best Western Dunedin(Dunedin)(Great Value!)
US$98
  • Restaurant
Amross Motel(Dunedin)(Great Value!)
US$114
US$111
Motel on York(Dunedin)(Great Value!)
US$104
Priceline
97 Motel Moray(Dunedin)(Great Value!)
US$100
US$49
US$47
Hotwire.com
Kiwis Nest(Dunedin)(Great Value!)
US$52
US$49
Agoda.com
Apartments at St Clair(Dunedin)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$103
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbreakfast buffetsuperior roomtour groupcar parkcomfortable bedcentral locationper dayhotel restaurantnice roomnew zealandspeights brewerygreat place to stayfree wifieasy walkstayed for one nightrailway stationvalet parking
Reviewed 7 February 2013

A lovely older hotel, thoughtfully renovated, large room, very comfortable beds, clean and well furnished. Nice bathroom equipped with luxury toiletries. Good location for exploring the city, excellent buffet breakfast. Would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
adrian c, Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of the Scenic Hotel Southern Cross. It is wonderful to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay and I hope that you enjoy the rest of your time in New Zealand as much - don't forget to look for our other hotels around the country - Scenic Hotels and Heartland Hotels - where you will find similarly high standards and a warm welcome.

Reviewed 27 January 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the Southern Cross Hotel, the bed especially was so comfortable, had the best sleep.
Great location.
I was a little surprised though when checking out in the morning to pay for the Hotel car parking, I thought it should have been part of the accommodation.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
adrian c, Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at the Scenic Hotel Southern Cross. I was very pleased that you had enjoyed your stay particularly your reference to having the "best sleep". I am sorry though that you were taken by surprise by our parking charge. At the very least, you should have been informed of this on check in. You may be interested to know that we do offer complimentary parking as part of some of the packages we offer. These are all available through our website and offer great value.
I look forward to be able to welcome you back sometime in the future.

With kind regarsd

Reviewed 27 January 2013

We've stayed at the Southern Cross twice in the last year when we've been to events in Dunedin. The hotel is clean, well laid-out and is in a superb location for staying and visiting the heart of the city. The 'superior' rooms are large, have great furnishings & fittings and the bed is incredibly comfortable. Staff are efficient and helpful.
Some of the deals available on the room rates make staying here a no-brainer - we've found fantastic prices with either breakfast included or room-only when we've stayed here.
Dunedin is not the easiest city for parking and I think this can be an issue - although we have always been able to park the car on-site without any drama and then don't move it again until we check-out!
You'll get a great nights' sleep here and be right on the doorstep of Dunedin's CBD for a good price.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AndEBee
adrian c, Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. It is always a great pleasure to hear how our guests have enjoyed themselves and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Scenic Hotel Southern Cross in the future.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

This hotel was wonderful! The service was excellent, the room was really clean, as well as modern and spacious. They had guest laundry facilities that were affordable and provided laundry soap at minmal charge. They have free valet parking and took very good care of us. It was right downtown in a very convenient to walking location or just a few minutes drive away from sights we wanted to see. It also had a mini fridge that was practically empty that we used to save money on food and a full stocked mini bar located in the space above the fridge. I am not sure about kids activities or a swimming pool as we didn't have a need for either of these things.

Room Tip: Get a room looking down on the main street running in the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and I am delighted that you had such a wonderful stay.

You mention that you were not aware of any children's facilities as it was not relevant to you. As it happens, we do offer Rollaway beds that can be added to most rooms for a small charge and we also offer some interconnecting rooms. Cots are available free of charge and we can arrange a babysitting service given enough notice. Within walking distance of the hotel are a number of attractions that are suitable for all age groups of children including the likes of Cadbury World, Chipmunks Soft Play Area, Toitu Otago Settlers Museum and plenty of wildlife amongst other things.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your travels around New Zealand and look out for our other hotels in the Scenic Hotel Group as they all offer the same friendly, high quality service.

Reviewed 22 January 2013

I have stayed here many times for work, but this weekend I took my wife along as we were in town for a wedding. The car park is pretty confusing and costs $12 per day - on most occasions I had to get someone to let me in or out because the card had expired or the park was full or the overflow park cannot take a card.

Apart from that I thought that the hotel was pretty good, although the receptionist was very busy on Sunday morning holding the fort alone.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review and thak you for continuing to support the Scenic Hotel Southern Cross.

I am sorry that you have had problems with our car parking. I will review our system of validating tickets to see whether this process can be improved upon in order to eliminate these issues. I know some guests do like to park their own cars but if you prefer, do take advantage of our Valet Parking, where you can drop off and pick up your car from the Front of the Hotel.

I look forward to seeing you again soon.

With best wishes