“Centrally situated in Dunedin” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Scenic Hotel Southern Cross

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Scenic Hotel Southern Cross
Ranked #15 of 58 Hotels in Dunedin
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Centrally situated in Dunedin”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

This Hotel specialises in tour groups so there is always chaos in the reception area. Rooms are OK and it is just a three star Hotel in a town. There is a valet car parking services which is helpful. Breakfasts were boring so we went out.

Room Tip: I think that higher up is preferable and not on the road side
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
adrian c, Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very for your review. I am sorry that you found the Reception area chaotic with our Tour business. This should not be the case as we would normally expect to be able to look after our Tour business as well as our other guests without compromising our standards. Our systems must have fallen down on this occasion and rest assured I will investigate further to ensure that this does not happen again.
I am glad that you found our central city location excellent and our valet parking service useful.
Many thanks for staying with us and I hope to see you again some time.

Adrian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my boss when down for work over night. Great room, breakfast & staff. Great location as can walk everywhere from hotel = to restaurants and to our work which was nice to be able to do. I would say this is one of the better hotels in Dunedin as its such a small city & tends to be bit outdated when it comes to having business travellers to the city. This hotel seemed better deco & service so I would recommend it over other ones.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
adrian c, Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review. I am extremely pleased that you had a pleasant stay and I look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Dunedin.

Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

Friendly staff, comfy bed and nice restaurant. Definately go for the cooked breakfast - bacon / mushrooms / eggs, awesome!
Only minor negative is that the restaurant is a little chilly in the evening - would recommend an additional layer while dining...

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted that you found the staff friendly, the bed comfortable and an awesome breakfast. Sorry about the temperature of the restaurant for your evening meal. I suspect that the air conditioning was turned down too low and I will pass on this comment to the Food and Beverage Team to ensure that this is monitored more closely.

I look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the future.

With best wishes

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

Stayed for 3 days in March during double header Rugby weekend, hotel was a max capacity but awesome atmosphere, The Warriors stayed as well making the stay all the more special. Cool little bar in the hotel as well as casino where we had a great time and a good meal. Beds were very comfortable, some street noise at night but the town was packed so was to be expected I guess. Staff were very helpfull. we would definately stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest

I was very pleased to read about how you enjoyed your stay with us when the Warriors were in town. They seemed to be travelling with a lot of their fans and I hear there was a great atmosphere at the game. There was certainly a great atmosphere here, as you mentioned, and I am delighted that our high standards were maintained despite being so busy.

Thank you for writing your review and thank you for staying with us. We hope to see you again some day.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

I have stayed in this hotel before and was not very impressed. On this stay however, I received a great room in what appears to be a newer wing of the hotel. The room was clean and well appointed. I ordered room service one night and thought the menu was extensive and good value.

My only criticism is that o the Sat I was out of the hotel all day and returned at 3pm to find my room was still not cleaned from the night before. The housekeeper arrived soon after and asked if I would like my room serviced. I declined as I needed to shower and leave again. I thought the room should have been serviced prior to then. They must have been short staffed on that day.

The in room WiFi options were very good and at a good price. I choose a 'family plan' that let you register up to four devices for the one rate. this plan was cheaper than most hotels have for a sub standard service for one device.

Room Tip: There appears to be a 'new' wing to this hotel and these rooms were very modern and clean...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
adrian c, Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Dear Brendon,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted that your stay was a big improvement on your previous visit and that you had an enjoyable time. I wonder how long ago your last stay with us was as all our rooms are furnished identically and so I am surprised that you found such a difference between the two wings.

I must apologise for not being able to service your room before 3pm - I understand how frustrating this must have been. This is certainly a rare event and I can only assume that our Housekeeping team had a much busier than expected schedule that day.

Thank you, once again, for staying with us. I hope to be able to welcome you back sometime in the future.

Oamaru
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

We only live 11/2 hours travel from Dunedin and when we feel the urge to get away we always opt for the Southern Cross in Dunedin. Great to be so close to the Casino and shopping. Very good deals for Casino members which makes it very affordable for the average income. The rooms have been very tastefully decorated and the beds are soooo comfortable. A very special touch with the toiletries and very friendly helpful staff.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Jean

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. It is always wonderful to see our guests return and I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay. I look forward to welcoming you back once again in the near future.

Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

The Southern Cross has grown in all directions and includes an historic building from the late 1800s, a 1960s 6 floor building purpose built, another building next door which was purchased and renovated, and some additional building on the back. We stayed in one of the rooms in the 6 floor building facing High St/Princes St. The rooms have been renovated well - excellent beds, good desks with a useful power strip, nice furniture. The bathrooms are small compared with what one would expect nowadays in a top hotel - but in other parts of the hotel it is better. There is no aircon, just heating. Normally not an issue in Dunedin but when we stayed it was warm and we had to have the window open at night, and there was a lot of street noise as drunken folk left the hotel's casino. Lucky we always have earplugs with us. The Exchange area where the hotel is located is a bit of a barren wasteland as everything has moved to the George Street end of town, but it is easy to walk and handy to the Railway Station for the Saturday market, Toitu museum (amazing), Chinese Gardens, and Cadbury Factory - as well as the Octagon. Speights Ale House is close but you're better off for the money going to the new Mac's restaurant and bar in the Octagon. Parking is very limited and some very tricky spots for larger cars. Staff were all very pleasant and breakfast very good. Would stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
adrian c, Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this review, 7 April 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and it was very pleasing to hear that you would choose to stay with us again.

As you mention, there are some tricky spots for parking larger vehicles but we recommend that guests take advantage of our valet parking service which is included in the overnight parking charge - this way you can just drive up to the front door and leave the rest to us.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Scenic Hotel Southern Cross in the future.