“Awesome :)”

Ranked #14 of 57 Hotels in Dunedin
Rangiora, New Zealand
“Awesome :)”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

our experience was very awesome. convenience of having the casino right next door where we became members to take advantage of 10% discount on meals and drinks. the staff, from reception area to the cleaners were of a very high standard. they were very polite and helpful. thankyou very much for your hospitality and would recommend staying with you :)

Room Tip: we had the 6th floor, with a view of the harbour :) noise does not bother me so much however we coul...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Kate E, Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Guest

Your very welcome and thank you for such great feedback, we're so glad you had an awesome time and would recommend staying at the Southern Cross Hotel to others.
I'm also happy to hear how polite and helpful and of a high standard you found our staff to be.

Thanks again and look forward to having you back in the future.
Kind Regards, Kate

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 October 2013

It was my second stay at that hotel and I was really impressed this time. Everything was high-quality, amazing room - complimentary upgraded, really nice staff. I spent wonderful time during my birthday.

I definitely recommend that hotel to anybody.

Room Tip: I know that some rooms may be slightly less impressive, so book directly through the hotel to get th...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Kate E, Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Hi Jacek

Thanks again for your email and for posting such a great review we really appreicate it. And I'm so glad you had such a good time on your Birthday this stay.

We look forward to hosting you again next month.

Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Extremely helpful staff provided excellent service. Conveniently close to the Octagon. We booked adjoining rooms with interconnecting doors which worked well with the kids but a mistake on my part when we booked meant our room had two single beds instead of a queen. A quick chat to the duty manager and the problem was sorted. This hotel has the most comfortable beds in New Zealand.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 539Mike
Kate E, Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Guest

I was so happy to hear you found ours to be "the most comfortable beds in New Zealand" Wow what a compliment thank you! We really appreciate your great feedback and are so glad you found the staff extremely helpful during your stay and that we provided excellent service to you and your family.

Thanks so much for your comments and we hope to see you again.

Kind regards
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two weeks as we were attending a course.

Good location, mind you although Dunedin may be the fifth largest city in the world by land size, most places will still have a central locality because the "utilised" city area is not as big as the actual area.

Average size rooms, comfortable bedding, welcoming staff, limited facilities.

Neither over not unimpressed . Value for money is good.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on your recent long stay we appreciate your time. I'm glad to hear you found the stafft to be welcoming while you were here and the location and value for your money good.

We hope you enjoyed your course and time in Dunedin and hope to see you back again in the future.

Warm Regards
Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This place was awesome. The hotel was very nice and the rooms were fitted out beautifully. Everything felt new and unused which is always nice, The bathroom was spotless and came with more towels than i have ever seen before.

I can't recommend this hotel any more! We will certainly be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

I was so happy to read your post it made my day! We are really proud of the hotel it is "awesome" and it is fantastic when our guests are equally as impressed. We are glad you found the fit out to be beautiful and the feel of the room new, our signature Scenic bedding and refurbishments are a real asset to us.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you next time
Gladstone, Australia
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Excellent Hotel in Dunedin. Central location, friendly staff, beautiful decor. We enjoyed our short stay at The Southern Cross. The room we stayed in was spacious and great value for our family of 4. My husband was very keen to go on the Speights Brewery Tour and was delighted to discover the brewery was only 100 metres down the road from the hotel. Whilst we didn't dine at the hotel, I did take notice that the restaurant prices and room service prices were more than reasonable. If returning to Dunedin in the future, we would most definitely stay at the Southern Cross again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your great comments regarding your stay with us. We are delighted to hear that you found the Southern Cross to be an excellent hotel in Dunedin and found the rooms to be great value. We appreciate your feedback and are glad you would stay with us again next time you are in Dunedin.

Kind regards
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed 21 September 2013

My first time in Dunedin. Lots of good places to eat and some really beautiful old buildings. I believe I was in the older section of the hotel on the Casino side. Room was a bit dated but comfortable. Staff are very pleasant and helpful. Continental breakfsat selection was good. I was surprised that there was not a safe in the room. I had a problem with my laundry - I told the front desk I had a bag in the room and was assured it would be picked up. Even the room cleaners left it behind. I would stay there again if in the area but it is average to good.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Kate E, Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this review, 22 September 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting feedback for Scenic Hotel Southern Cross we appreciate your comments. It's great to hear you found our continental breakfast selection good and the staff pleasant and helpful. Our Front Office Manager is looking into the issue regarding the laundry collection, thank you for bringing that to our attention we will make sure this is rectified.
I'm glad you would stay with us again, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.