“Not relaxing, not pleasant. Go elsewhere.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Governors Cafe
Ranked #155 of 325 Restaurants in Dunedin
Cuisines: Cafe, New Zealand
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not relaxing, not pleasant. Go elsewhere.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

I don't think the staff want to work there. I ordered a coffee (no food was available as this place stops serving food one hour before it closes) and the manager thumped it down in front of me. She seemed to be really angry about something and proceeded to bang the outside sign into a chair twice, flung a metal coffee container onto the floor, and was screaming at the staff to "stop swearing".

Would not go back.

• Visited March 2014

Hamilton, New Zealand
“Busy cafe with ok food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Popped in for lunch on a rainy day. It was busy so we had to share one of the long bench tables. Had to wait quite a long time for our coffees and food. We only ordered things from the cabinet- a panini and a roast vege salad but for some reason it took a long time to microwave and toast these things! I was about to offer my services to heat them up myself when they finally arrived at our table. The food and coffees were nice enough but nothing great. Later some guy who was cleaning up our table knocked a fork on to the ground and was quite rude about it. He looked stressed and like he couldn't wait for the day to be over.
Wouldn't go back again.

• Visited March 2014
cgibbon
“reliably rude service, average food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

I was one of the first customers at this place when it opened several decades ago. I have since gone back a few times when I visit Dunedin. Unfortunately I have found the service to be reliably rude. The last time I went the person opening the cafe more or less slammed the door in our face, apparently not liking my query as to whether they were open (they opened 15 minutes late). The food is average. I would say if you can find somewhere else, then do. I assume they will keep getting customers since they open for much longer hours than most Dunedin cafes in the area, and they have been around for a long time. However, there are nice places to go in Dunedin which will give you great coffee, nice food and welcoming NZ service. In my recent experiences (of more than one visit) Governor's is not one of them.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank cgibbon
cgibbon
“Good food but reliably rude service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

I have visited this cafe a few times when visiting Dunedin. It seems to get good custom by opening for longer hours than most of the restaurants and cafes in the area. It is also on the main street.
However, I have found on both my recent visits the staff were downright rude, and we would have left both times except that we had been waiting outside for it to open. They opened 15 minutes late and the woman opening (who seemed to be the manager) then virtually slammed the door in our faces, apparently irritated by my asking if they were open.
I wouldn't go back for that reason alone, tho I am sure they will continue to thrive through tourist trade.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Good food.... awful service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

A good cafe when they get your order right...which is around 80 percent of the time... this gets frustrating and ruins what would otherwise be a 4 or 5 star review as the food and coffee are good

Also... would it hurt to clear the tables every now and then. Several times I havr been in here, the place is almost empty, thr staff arr just standing around, and yet therenis nowhere to sit because every table is covered in dirty dishes.

The staff can be a bit surly making you feel guilty you disturbed them to make an order.

Maybe a little staff training is needed?