“Not very impressed...”

Governors Cafe
Ranked #155 of 327 Restaurants in Dunedin
Cuisines: Cafe, New Zealand
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
New Zealand
“Not very impressed...”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My husband had the big breakfast while I had the pancakes. His eggs were under cooked and the meal in general was not nice. My pancakes were 3 smallish pancakes with a strange tasting maple syrup. The menu said that their pancakes were the 'best in town' a pretty high estimation of a very average meal. Governers has a very underwhelming atmosphere. We will not return. For good, large pancakes go a few doors down to Capers.

Visited July 2014

Queenstown, New Zealand
“A Dunedin Institution”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

In the 70's the café was frequented by "alternative lifestylers" back then[there were even rumours that mind altering substances could be obtained from some of the customers!]. The décor and ambience have been carried on from that period. The fact that it has stood the test of time indicates that it has some things going for it. These include - good food, good prices, good coffee, and friendly laid back staff. One of the walls is given over to posters etc. promoting all kinds of concerts, groups, activities. Definitely worth a visit.

• Visited June 2014
Robina, Australia
“Slack”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I did not like their coffee.
There seemed to be a wee bit of tension in the air, so couldn't wait to move on.

Visited May 2014
Whangarei, New Zealand
“Great Brekkys”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This place opens early which is good. Food, coffee & service were great. I went there 3 mornings in a row & it was good. Recommend.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank toddsta
Palmerston North, New Zealand
“Amazing food let down by downright rude service.”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I was excited to go back and have a coffee and slice here! As always the food was incredible - no complaints there! It is however a big disappointment that the blonde lady serving me was so rude I was very close to walking out - I would have if it hadn't been for the chocolate brownie on the way.

I asked for my drink, and made a mistake and corrected myself, and she looked at me as if I was stupid. A bit more went down but I don't want to give away too many details as Dunedin is a small place. After this encounter when ordering my food, I went to sit down and to my disgust I could hear the same lady moaning about what had just happened to the kitchen staff. I actually have no problem with what she was doing - but at least have the decency to make sure the customer can't hear you!! Many of my friends have had similar experiences with a 'blonde lady', I obviously cannot be sure if it's the same lady, but I sure do hope they don't employ multiple rude blonde ladies!! It is a shame, as Governor's is a classic place to go and grab coffee in between lectures, but you can guarantee I won't be going back anytime soon.

• Visited May 2014